Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Suggestions for Italy?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I want to go to Italy sometime in March 2006 (for my birthday, bf's birthday and Valentines Day, all in one). Does anyone have any suggestions for the best cities / places to visit? :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I love Florence! I think it is really romantic! Venice is also a unique city... if you don't mind the smelling canals...
    Rome is nice too!
    Milan is mint for shopping and sightseeing.
    Go to Capri, it looks stunning :heart:
    Don't bother with Venice. It's a shit hole.
    Equally don't bother with Pisa - there's the tower and that's it.

Florence, Rome, Siena and Naples are the places to go.

Milan's ok but I was only there for a few hours so I can't really comment.
    ^ Yes indeed. Venice is a SHITHOLE. If you go ther DO NOT stay the night, it has the worst hostels in Europe - they have 11pm cufrews its terrible.

Rome, Florence and Tuscany are all well worth a visit.
    ^ Yes indeed. Venice is a SHITHOLE. If you go ther DO NOT stay the night, it has the worst hostels in Europe - they have 11pm cufrews its terrible.

Rome, Florence and Tuscany are all well worth a visit.
    i've only ever been to two places in italy and both were with work. Naples and Venice. Naples is nice, but very busy city. But it does have some nice places to visit, plus theres a island just off it thats meant to be very nice and romantic. I was in Venice begining of December, alot of the shops, bars, hotels etc... were closed for the winter so i didn't get to see much, plus the customer put me up in a hotel that was well out of the way. Didn't think that it was a smelly place. but guess it gets smelly during the summer and warmer months. The city did look pretty with all the different building styles.
    How I love Italy :thumb: , along the same lines as the others I'd say Firenze, Roma, Siena, Capri. Never been in March though so not sure what the weather would be like especially in the Tuscan region (Firenze, Siena).

Spent 6 nights in Napoli the other year, before heading up north, but used it mainly as a staging area to places like Capri, Pompeii (glad I've seen it but unless your really into your ancient history is just lots and lots of ruins), Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. I could ramble on about this country for ages but I'll stop myself now...

P.S. I'm not sure when Easter is this year, as with pretty much every European country (apart from us) the Italians take their state and local holidays (especially religous ones) very seriously.. Learnt that lesson the hard way by going way out of my way to Modena with the intention of visiting Maranello only to discover is was some local Saints day....
    Verona is lovely and Rome is good as well. If you were going later in the year i'd suggest somewhere on the coast or by a lake but its not that warm in march - unless you like snow in which case i'd suggest somewhere further north.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Don't go to Naples.
    Weekender Offender