Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Greeeeeeeat! :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Tonight my girlfriend and I were having sex and the condom split. She was due to come on her period soon but due to her being ill it might have delayed it. Were going to get the morning after pill tomorow but is there any other forms of emergency contraception to get and how much will it cost? When she takes the pill how will we know it has been effective and what will happen to her periods?

Thanks, sorry its a load of questions :blush: Crappy Durex :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    She can go and get an IUD fitted up to 5 days after intercourse. Im sure there's older threads about this but that's all I can remember. Check out the Sex and Relationships bit above.
  • Options
    read this it tell you all about emergency contraception. You can buy the Morning after pill too from most Boots but its about £25. But you can get if free from a number of places see the artilce.
  • Options
    you can get the morning after pill for free by phoning NHS direct 0845 4647, they'll sort you out and have somewhere you can go pick it up.
  • Options
    The MAP is the most effective form of emergency contraception, and is the one you should go for. IT works for up to 72 hours after intercourse, but it rapidly loses its effectiveness- the morning after its about 90% effective, dropping down to about 50% effectiveness after 72 hours AFAIK. I might have got the numbers a bit wrong, but you get the point.

You can get an IUD fitted, but this hurts, and is very invasive compared to taking two pills.

Just to say, you cannot ring NHS Direct and get one issued. You will be told where to go to get one, either your doctor first thing tomorrow morning or the walk-in centre at your local hospital.
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    You can buy the Morning after pill too from most Boots but its about £25. But you can get if free from a number of places see the artilce.

Family planning clinic is your best bet if you want it for free. They will probably ask a few questions though which is always a plensent experience :S. Hate that place