Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My fiance doesn't know what he wants anymore

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and My finace just got engaged on Christmas. Now a week later is isnt sure what he wants. He told me he loved me and doesnt want to talk about it with me because i get upset. He told me that he isnt sure if we will always be happy because we are VERY different. We dont fight all the time but we have had a rough year. Back in April i caught him talking to another girl he worked with. They talked several times everyday on the phone, he would say is doing one thing but go see her and he stayed out one night and didnt come home still the next day. We didnt break up but it took me MONTHS to get over it. I finally got over this in Septemeber but now his exgirlfriend just came to see him at his work. This caused a HUGE argument which he said he isnt going to talk to her anymore but i dont know if i can trust him or not.
So ever since this happened (on sunday) he has been weird. What should i do? He told me he doesnt want to break up but i cant stay around forever if he keeps telling me he is unsure. I am in some desperate need of help and advise.

Comments

• Options
    you need to explain this to him. you have a right to know where you stand, and it sounds like he doesnt know what he wants, and is maybe being in contact with these women to avoid thinking about your and his relationship!
  • Options
    Several things.

Why did you get engaged? In what context was it?

If you're going to be paranoid and cry and wail every time he talks to another girl, then of course he's not going to bother talking about it with you. What's the point? If you've decided it's dubious, he isn't going to convince you otherwise. And why should he? It's your problem not his.

If he's proposed then he obviously likes you a bit. Take that on board. Even if it's the last throw of the dice (and sometimes it is), it shows he cares enough to bother for once last time.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply but that is what i dont get. He was happy when he proposed to me but since his ex came into his life he acts like he doesnt want too. I think he is just settling with me and doesnt want to give up our relationship because he is scared of losing something that "could" be great. That is what he has told me in the past.

If you knew his exgirlfriend and the relationship they had you wouldnt like it either.
  • Options
    It's a big commitment, and its easy to get distracted by the grass appearing greener elsewhere.

If you can't trust your bf then what exactly do you have? Why can't you trust him? Because she's a flirt? Please.
  • Options
    I cant trust him because he cheated on me 8 months ago. I dont think he is cheating on me know either. Its just not a good idea for him to keep talking to his ex. she will start getting the wrong idea.

Maybe my bf is having cold feet (even though i havent even started planning). I think he is just scared and worried about the future. We are oppoistes of each other, but i think sometimes that makes us stronger.
  • Options
    You didn't say he cheated on you, you said he stayed out all night at someone else's house. Did he admit to cheating, or did you just decide he did?

Do you not think exes can be friends? Why would she "get the wrong idea" when he's proposed marriage to you?

I don't know all the facts, but I actually think you are being needlessly paranoid.
  • Options
    Well he admitted of kissing this one girl. But he lied to me several times and would diss me and his daughter to go hand out with that girl. i dont know if they stayed out together all night, i do know they spent part of the the night together because when he finally asnwered his phone he told me he was with her.

I think some exes can be friends but not the ones where you were together for 4 years off and on and where (the girl in this case) was a totally bitch and cheated on the person all the time. She would drag my bf around and lie to him. He wouldnt leave his room for days because of her.

I may be paranoid about her but that doesnt make sense about what he is telling me. I mean he tells me he is unhappy but why propose? and why act this way after you talked to your ex? Maybe she made him realize something.
  • Options
    Hi cutie0162

I think before you continue analising and trying to guess what's been hapenning in your fiancée's mind, you should ask yourself what is happening to you.

Firstly, the issue of trust. If it's a fact that he's lied to you before, no wonder you have difficulty trusting him. Has this issue really cleared up? Has he given you any reason that he could be lying to you again? And I mean apart from his ex gf turning up, has he given any sign that he would be interested in her? But more importantly, deep down, do you trust him? Are you ready to trust him?

Personally, I think trust an essential component of any relationship, especially one based on love. Whatever the reasons, if you can't genuinely trust him now, is there any effort you can do (like trying to be less paranoid if it were the case) to try and trust him? And also, is he willing to put in some effort in behaving trustworhty?

Secondly, there's the issue of his being unsure. I think its very true what you say, that you can't wait around forever if he's having second thoughts about the wedding. Personally, I'd ask myself this question: do I want to marry a guy who's not sure of marrying me? Of course everyone is entitled to getting cold feet from time to time, or certain doubts, but only you can judge to what extent those doubts are justified and how long you are willing to wait for him to make up his mind. (And while we're on the sibject I think he should also ask himself if your doubts are justified by his previous behaviour).

and thirdly, I think you really should be able to talk about this stuff. I find it absurd that he doesn't want to talk this over with you... it's boths relationship! I think you should ask him up front why is he acting weird, its a totally legitimate question. Although, if you react badly and impulsively when he tries explaining what's on his mind... then its understandable and you need to chill.

Well, as I said, only you can provide answers to all this, hope it works out.
  • Options
    Thank you for your response. I think he hasn't "opened up" to me and tell me his feelings because he is scared to say anything. He is scared to lose me. I try to talk to him about it but its always at the wrong time. Like when im at work and he is at work. When he gets home we are around our daughter which i dont like to discuss things then. Then its too late and we go to bed.

I took off my ring last night. I asked him this morning if he wants me to wear it and he said "sure". Which i didnt really like that response but i asked him again and he told me yes. I told him i would understand if he doesnt want me too but he said he did.

I think "all of this" will die out and we will be fine. But that is one thing im scared of. I dont want him to stick around if truely he is unhappy inside. I dont think he talks about these things to other people to get them out and i dont think he talks to me because he is scared i wont understand.

I guess i have to hope for the best and hope things work out they way they should be. I do really love him though.
  • Options
    i think sometimes with guys, they dont want to scare their gf so they will go along with a whole engage/marrying idea just to keep her and then when it too late they get scared. E.G!!!! my bf was going to get me a commitment ring for christmas but then as we were about to go to the shop he broke up with me, said he was unhappy.
    as in, it was like he just went along with it then realised "oh i have to actually COMMIT now" so then told the truth... maybe ur bf is going thru that now. sorry i guess this isnt what u want to hear right now but that was my experience....
  • Options
    Doesnt it break u up in pieces though, coz i know if i was wiv someone and thought they wanted that and broke it off it wud break my heart xxx
  • Options
    WEll just to let everyone know. WE are breaking up. He doesnt think we can be happy together in the future. So if i couldnt make him happy in the past year i never will be. Thanks for all the advice
  • Options
    Trust me, it's MUCH better to find this out now than 13 years down the line when you're married with a mortgage and shit. At least this way you will have the opportunity to build a happy future for yourself and your daughter rather than one built on a lie. And I know that's cold comfort right now.
  • Options
    aww hun im so sorry to hear that, i know what ur going thru.... but miffy is right it is MUCh better finding out now than 20 years later....
  • Options
    im so glad i found out now. We were so close to buying a house and then getting married so im glad its now and not down the road. I went and saw him at his work and we talked for a little bit. But i asked him if this was it and he said "ya". So now i have to move back in with my parents because i cant afford to move out even if he is paying child support.

This will give me the opportunity to find someone that i do make him. I just dont know what to do about my daughter. Her daddy works alot anyway so she doesnt seem him all the time. But its going to confuse her down the road when we are with other people. Im just scared for her now.

Thanks again everyone!