Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

accommodation..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hi was just wondering when everyone is starting tolook for accommodation for next yr?? there is always such a mad rush and everyone starts to panic! have people started looking yet??
also how many second year students are looking to go back into halls or uni accommodation???
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    im getting a house with just a few of mates, there was talk about going for one of 16 bedroom houses and the whole group living together, but i like a tidy kitchen and i would never get that livin with 15 other people, so i theres either 3 or 4 us ( one cant decide) and we've got an appointent on the 9th jan to look round houses.

EDIT: but alot of my friends haven't started looking yet
    We started looking in March when our uni released a list of available accommodation. This year, as one of our group is leaving, we have to make a decision by end of january/early February whether we are going to stay where we are or find somewhere smaller to live.
    TheOne wrote:
    hi was just wondering when everyone is starting tolook for accommodation for next yr?? there is always such a mad rush and everyone starts to panic! have people started looking yet??
    also how many second year students are looking to go back into halls or uni accommodation???
    In London it is much later than other cities. May or June is quite early really in London.
    START LOOKING ASAP!!! the earlier the better as then you get the best choices. Alot of people leave it to the last minute and they end up paying loadsa money for a crap house.

Best get hold of a copy of the accomodations list from uni and/or start doing the rounds with letting agencies so that you are first on the list when the time gets closer.

To start you should decide who and how many people you wanna live with and which locations best suit you as well as finding out the average renting price.

Goodluck i've done it and it was a pain in the arse and now i'm doing it again!! :yuck:
    simba wrote:
    START LOOKING ASAP!!! the earlier the better as then you get the best choices. Alot of people leave it to the last minute and they end up paying loadsa money for a crap house.
    I don't know fully, because it depends on your respective cities etc, but we went through a private landlord, really nice house, 5 bedroom, low rent, dead good location; and we got that right at the end of August, literally 2 weeks before my course started.

i think there's LOADS of student houses in Sheffield though. I haven't got experience of the student accomodation companies, but i would certainly recommend a private landlord.
    Ahhh maybe you were one of the lucky ones :yum: As with everything just be careful when renting a property from people esp. private landlords as from what i've heard tend to rub their hands when they know students are looking for a house quickly as they tend to take advantage for of you. Unless you get a nice landlord :angel:

Anyway just make sure you ask for a valid gas certificate and to do an inventory before you move in so that they can't sting you for any bogus damages when you eventually leave.
    my landlord was really nice :)

and i know of people who got away with not paying 6 months rent, cause they found out their landlord didnt have a valid gas safety certificate, while everything was hunky dory, if they dobbed the landlord in, tis a £5,000 for them :P
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i know liverpool is february, and thats for all houses under liverpool student homes, but if it is private i suppose you can do it whenever. but to be safe id stick to accommodation checked by your university so if anything goes wrong, your union can help you sort it! good luck
    yeah, i think its end of Jan/Feb for most places when official lists etc come out. I'd start looking straight after that but don't get too worried, we didn't get our house sorted til July/August and it's lovely.