Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cutting him off completely.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This may take a bit of a read...

I think one of my earliest memories of my father and mother is sitting in the car when my Dad raised his fist and threatened to give Mum a fat lip. From that moment on my mother decided to leave my father, he'd threatened her a lot, psychologically abused her and now he was doing it in front of me and my brother. In fact I don't remember a lot of happiness in my childhood, he isn't a nice man in my eyes, he's still my father however.

From the age of ten I partially blamed myself for the divorce of my parents and I think what made things harder was that there was a new woman on the scene (let's call her Lady X), one I was unsure of. After living in Caegwrly (or however it's spelt), he moved in with her... At the time I was too young to realise she was one of the four affairs that he had behind our back.

So I started going down there on weekends, she was temperamental... I'm told a lot of the things she did to me and my brother is child abuse... She made us kiss her feet once, she put me down a lot and when I was thirteen she came in to the bedroom and started saying how I was too fat to go on holiday and wear a swimming costume. Effectively she helped to destroy my self confidence and things went downhill spiral of self-harm and solvents. I ended up refusing to go there anymore.

Dad never had time to see me, he was always doing things for her... I don't know why, I felt selfish for asking for attention, I also felt unworthy for it too. We lived in the highest village in Wales, the winters were sooooo cold... I remember the radiators would freeze and I think we made games from that somehow... I remember crying, being curled under my sheets. Dad wouldn't help us out with any money, he told Mum if she wanted heating for myself and her then she should go down the woods to cut down trees. I felt like he was punishing me in a way... Even more retrospectively because I wouldn't go to his. I only saw him when I went to church.

I remember my friend died and I broke down mentally at seventeen, I couldn't even look after myself but I don't remember much, I felt heavy, so heavy... I ended up in a psychiatric unit for young people... They told me there that one of the main sources of my problems they said was him and Lady X... Who'd say and do horrible things and he'd stay and laugh. I couldn't look in a mirror, I hurt myself, I used solvents and quenched my emotions with alcohol and cannabis... They said I had severe depression and anxiety disorder.

Now here is where I stop... Because I'm recovered, everything is behind me. I'm a happy young woman in many respects and no longer do I have bad ways of dealing with emotional problems. I'm studying in London and I have adjusted well... I make friends quite easily and enjoyed it so much...

But on returning home I realised that a great deal of what my problems were, being away was masking instead of dealing with them. My confidence has grown since I've been away but at the same time it's almost as if I've been indulging in escapism in that sense. My father offered to come see me when I was down the pub because having young "friends" (i.e. my friends) makes him seem hip...

Don't worry, this is almost over...

So I thought all was forgotten on the day after when we went to see his sister and the two daughters. He doesn't seem interested in what I was doing... He's never asked me really any questions about how I am, if I have a partner, if I've joined any societies or if I like my course. We all sat down and had coacoa... I love my auntie and cousins.

And then came the topic of health, how Lady X is suffering so bad and back in rehab and how brave she's being as if we all should admire her, her almighty battle with alcohol and his battle with all the ways he's fucked up his body with an unhealthy diet, fags and booze. He takes more drugs than Howard Marx at a rave to control them... Yeah, me and the two teenage cousins really wanna know that... I mean Ok, it doesn't sound that bad... But there was one thing that really hurt me...

On the topic of his will, he told me that Lady X, after him had left her posessions to me and my brother and then, in front of my auntie he said in a sly and condescending manner "see, she's really not as bad as you think." As if I should worship and love the woman who abused me...

Emotional fucking blackmail.

I'm changing my number so he can't contact me... Is that running away?

Talking won't do any good as he's sooooo self absorbed.

Am I a bad person for resenting him and his alcoholic partner? If she's so ill... maybe she didn't mean to abuse us.

I'm confused... But I'll never be happy with him around. :crying:

Sorry it's so long.

Comments

• Options
    You're not a bad person, and it's not your fault. I think you're right to cut him off, even if it's only temporary until you're 100% sure you can be around him. You've got to do what's right for you.
  • Options
    Sometimes, blood isn't thicker than water. And I think we all come to realise that at some point.
    If you truly feel that cutting him off will make you feel better, then my only advice is to go for it. Just make sure, that you're completely down with it, so you wont have doubts or what if's later on along the line.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Your old man sounds a right twat and your story is so familiar.I guess we have sommat in common.
    You are so much better off without him.
    Dont feel bad I haven't had any proper contact wi mine for app 5 years,I love him coz he's my dad but he stays away from me since I stood upto him.We send cards on birthdays etc but dont speak.
    You seem to have your s**t together in the rest of your life so dont let him bring you down.It can be hard but arsehole dads just aren't needed.And as for the lush she's not your problem .Get on with your life and be a success but in the words of Noel "dont look back in anger." It's not worth it.
  • Options
    It seems like you have tried your hadest to get along with him, but I really would recommend cutting both of them out of your life, permenatly if you have to. Just dont cut off contact with the rest of your family such as you aunt and cousins, but maybe explain to them that you are not speaking to him any more, and will not see them if he is going to be there. It may hurt them in the short term, but it seems to be the best for you in the long run, and they should come to terms with it.
  • Options
    You know funny enough...

I'm not a bitter person, I'm turning it around to make myself more dedicated to the people that I love.

But it still hurts...
  • Options
    All I can say is he doesn't deserve any respect, and he doesn't deserve us as children. We've tried to love him for years but at the end of the day he's never going to realise that his money doesn't equal love. Maybe it's his way of feeling less guilty about putting "Lady X" first and never being there for us.

He's never done anything to help us at all, and the only thing I can ever get from him now is a bit of cash here and there. He doesn't even bother contacting us much anymore, and he's really not worth it.

It takes a lot of balls to cut him off completely, I don't think I could do it but I'm proud of you and stand by you if that's what you want to do. The thing about Dad is he'll never realise what he's lost until he loses it. And he only cares about two people, himself and his woman. We're just bi-products of his past and he's moved on from that, sad but true.

He's not worth anything, and one day hopefully his ignorance will bite him in the ass, and he'll realise what a bad person he is.
  • Options
    I think it may keep on hurting every time you see him. You shouldn't feel like you need to deal with his shit anymore, you don't need closure and you and yer mum survived without him..Didn't understand the bit about the will, she put you in her will?
  • Options
    I think it may keep on hurting every time you see him. You shouldn't feel like you need to deal with his shit anymore, you don't need closure and you and yer mum survived without him..Didn't understand the bit about the will, she put you in her will?
    Yes, she did and he took the liberty of telling me in front of my family.
  • Options
    Guilt money perhaps? Maybe the bitch knows she's in for a rough ride with all her "problems" and if she doesn't make it, she feels she hasn't any "unfinished business" left? (yea that sounds really spiritual but it makes sense in my head...) Or is she doing it to humour your da, like he asked her to do it because she may not have any family of her own and he could always bring it up as emotional blackmail. eg,
    you "dad, she was a dick to me you left your family for that abusive wench"
    da "you've got it all wrong, sure she left you stuff in her will, she clerly loved her and you imagined your entire shitty teenage life associated with her"
    Grrr the mind boggles :mad:
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    You're not a bad person, and it's not your fault. I think you're right to cut him off, even if it's only temporary until you're 100% sure you can be around him. You've got to do what's right for you.
    What she said
  • Options
    Take the money when she dies and use it well. Healing yourself is all about looking to the future and not blaming the past.

If you've got this far then you can go further.
  • Options
    -[MoonRat]- - I'd always thought you were a bloke! :chin:

Anyway... Not much to say, really. You know what you want to do, and what is probably best for you. Just make sure it's what you really want before you do it, as it can be harder to repair a demolished bridge than it is to keep travelling the less than perfect one.

I've spoken to my mother twice in the last 5 years. She lives a half mile up the road; she abused me physically and mentally for much of my childhood. Nobody ever really believed me when I'd tell them that I hated my mother - I think they do now.

You're old enough to know what is right and wrong, and more specifically, what is right and wrong for yourself. I don't think anyone could blame you for not wanting them in your life, from the sound of things.

You, and you alone, have the power to make your life exactly what you want it to be. Make it count :).
  • Options
    Well I'd just ask one question. Does he love you still? Because if so I'd find it very hard to cut contact completely, yea take a break, a long break if needed but visit him from time to time.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Well I'd just ask one question. Does he love you still? Because if so I'd find it very hard to cut contact completely, yea take a break, a long break if needed but visit him from time to time.
    Maybe that is the best way. No, I don't believe he loves me... If you love your children you don't let them be abused and laugh at it... If you love your children you visit them and help to keep them warm in the winter.

He wants me to be successful (I believe) to make himself look good.
  • Options
    Maybe that is the best way. No, I don't believe he loves me... If you love your children you don't let them be abused and laugh at it... If you love your children you visit them and help to keep them warm in the winter.

Sometimes I think my dad doesn't love me because he's a prick 95% of the time but I know deep down he does and I'm sure yours does aswell.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If you ask me, you should consider people your parents because you like them, not make yourself like them because they're your parents.
    To be honest, after all that you describe I'm surprised you haven't already cut all connections. Is it the money help that's stopping you?
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Is it the money help that's stopping you?
    No... Guilt and cowardice.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    No... Guilt and cowardice.
    Cowardice I understand, but guilt for what? You don't have to like him just because of the blood connection.
  • Options
    He did something to you that a father should never do and he let this other women treat you like shit too it would be totally understandable if you never wanted to see him again. Don't feel any guilt in forgetting about him none of it is your fault *hugs*
  • Options
    Well I think I'm going to avoid him until the summer... I feel shit. I'm a coward, a fucking coward and I deserve every bit of sadness and pain this brings until I got the guts to sort it.

Hopefully by the summer I'll be stronger.
  • Options
    I'm a coward, a fucking coward and I deserve every bit of sadness and pain this brings until I got the guts to sort it.

you dont deserve it, its not your fault, of corse it will be hard to cut all ties if you decide that is what you want. take your time, and take care of your self, you dont deserve it, its his job to take care of you and he didnt
  • Options
    Moonrat, hugs to you. And to you Chaos.

Your story reminds me in many ways of mine. I too have a father who split from my mother and then married someone else who destroyed my self esteem and self confidence. He joined in as well and so did my brother, who didn't get the same treatment from them.

I haven't seen my father now in many years. He's got grandchildren here who he has never seen and who know nothing of him. No matter.

You really don't need to make any announcements or decide to burn your bridges. It took me a lot of years thinking about the same thing and feeling guilty, wondering things like how I will feel when he dies, before I came to that conclusion. I thought I was too much of a coward to cut all ties with him, but then I realised that I didn't need to. My continued silence and lack of contact, day by day, week by week, month by month, year on year has in practical terms the same effect.
  • Options
    I deserve every bit of sadness and pain this brings until I got the guts to sort it.

It is not your fault. You have little control over who your parents are. You have absolutely no control over who they were before you were born, and next to no control over who they are from that point on. All one can hope for is that they become better people as a result of having you in their lives.

It's not your fault.

It is not your fault.

It is absolutely not your fault.

Really. :)

And there is nothing cowardly about dealing with it in your own way. You have to do what you have to do; just make sure that what you do is the right thing for you.

It is not your fault.
  • Options
    Tonight I went to see him and we talked, it was his intention to get me pissed, but like... I didn't drink.

I mean talking isn't easy... But somehow I did it and didn't get all the answers... But I have to move on. Apparently she's been an alcoholic for years and that was why she was so bad... I don't think he knew how to react when she treated us like that... I think he was scared.

But I'm starting over... For some reason... Well I feel no more hatred and anger. I think I can move on.

I hugged him back for the first time since I can remember.
  • Options
    :)