Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dell

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are Dell any good?

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Yes.

They are cheap and cheerful. My laptop is Dell and it is a fabby wee thing, my brother has a Dell laptop and no problems with that and my parents have a Dell computer that runs really nicely. I would always recommend Dell to anyone looking for a premade computer.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    They're a lot better than some PC manufacturers. All of works PC's are Dell and my sisters laptop is, nothing magical but they do seem to make a good base system.
  • Options
    yay!! :)
  • Options
    My laptop is a Dell, and I've had no problems with it, the only complaint I do have is that the power cable is a terrible design which always breaks so I have to order a new one, but im sure the newer models have better designed power cables.
  • Options
    I'm going against the flow here. My computer dork boyfriend hates Dell. He hates them with a pashion. He refuses to buy anything Dell for work and when hes out contracting when something needs replacing, even if they request it, he persuades them not to.
    His friend who owns a technology solutions company and deals with all the different companies refuses to use them or deal with them also.
    He shall rant if I ask him why and I shall just because I'm bored for you ;)...
    Here is why they are cheap though...
    "Dell uses parts that are other companies quality control rejects"
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    "Dell uses parts that are other companies quality control rejects"

Dell don't actually manafacture anything if I remember correctly. I know for certain that most 'Dell monitors' are actually made Nokia, Panasonic and Sony - or they were 5 years ago.

They bundle stuff together and stamp the Dell logo on it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I'm going against the flow here. My computer dork boyfriend hates Dell. He hates them with a pashion. He refuses to buy anything Dell for work and when hes out contracting when something needs replacing, even if they request it, he persuades them not to.
    His friend who owns a technology solutions company and deals with all the different companies refuses to use them or deal with them also.
    He shall rant if I ask him why and I shall just because I'm bored for you ;)...

let him rant then, it's not much if he just hates them for no reason.
  • Options
    I do not use dell for a gd reason. They run ok but when they break down it's either hard to fix the problem and it costs an arm and a leg to repair it. I would not touch dell products with a 10ft barge pole. I advise making your own computer cheap, and hav what you want, a customized computer with what u need. If u do not know what to do then maybe a friend will? Try it, my computer was built and it does not let me down often.
  • Options
    My laptop is Dell and its great, my last laptop was Dell and I had no problems with it. Our PC dowmstairs is also Dell and we've had no problems with it.
  • Options
    The basic machines are cheap and cheerful. They're good value for the spec, they're quiet, and look good.
    The only problem is that Dell like to build computers thier way, so that you can't fit most normal PC parts and have to buy their expensive parts.
    Having said that, I was putting a CD-RW drive into my Dad's at Xmas, and it was easy to do. The case side panel was attached by a simple release lever, and the IDE and power cables where there and it took about 15 mins total to figure how the front panels came off an fit the drive. It would've been a different matter to fit a floppy drive though as there isn't a bracket for one - but you can buy one from Dell for about £15!!! :eek: See what I mean about parts.
    On the whole, if you want a basic fast machine for the net, office software, bit of photo editing, etc, then they're great and I'd reccomend one.
  • Options
    But I got a Mini Mac. 'nuff said.
  • Options
    lol i've been thinking whether to get a Dell laptop or one from Apple. Granted, Apple are soooo expensive these days. For those of you who use Apple, what do you actually use it for? e.g. video editing or just random typing?
  • Options
    Yes, Dells are a good investment
  • Options
    Mr_Wobble wrote:
    The basic machines are cheap and cheerful. They're good value for the spec, they're quiet, and look good.
    The only problem is that Dell like to build computers thier way, so that you can't fit most normal PC parts and have to buy their expensive parts.
    Having said that, I was putting a CD-RW drive into my Dad's at Xmas, and it was easy to do. The case side panel was attached by a simple release lever, and the IDE and power cables where there and it took about 15 mins total to figure how the front panels came off an fit the drive. It would've been a different matter to fit a floppy drive though as there isn't a bracket for one - but you can buy one from Dell for about £15!!! :eek: See what I mean about parts.
    On the whole, if you want a basic fast machine for the net, office software, bit of photo editing, etc, then they're great and I'd reccomend one.

DO DELL Laptops use weird memory?

I know DELL Desktops were made to use their own memory which costed 3 times more then anyone else and same with DELL Printers, their ink is also very pricey.
  • Options
    I wouldnt buy a dell myself, but I would recommend them. You get a warranty, manufactuers garuntee and all of that, its cheap and as soon as you load it up for the first time it should be tested and work nicely.

However. You get less bang for your buck. I recently did an investigation into different computer suppliers and incorporated what you exactly got for your money - and dell were the worst value for money. Less power, more expensive. But its all bundled and looks nice.

For the average PC user who will just use the net and MS word it will be fine, and you'll never really be left wanting. For anyone who wants to push the performance and get the best value for money, stay away from them.

My brother has one though, its ok, except it didn't come with any DVD codecs so he sent it back (lol). Then he was playing a football game and first problem was the joypad didn't set up correctly, and then when he was playing the game the lag was horrific.

But they have to make their money somewhere :)

Although not many people will recommend this, have a look on eBay. You can get some good deals off there, get slightly older systems that will do everything you want but be dirt cheap. A similar system to mine was on there for about £175 (excluding monitor) and that outperforms my brothers new dell massively which cost about £400.