Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

iron/haemeglobin levels

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So.. I'm really confused. I've been aneamic for the past 4 months, and have to continue with iron supplements for the next 6 months. My most recent blood test showed that my iron levels were 2. (sorry, not sure how its measured) and my doctor said that the normal level is between 20 and 275. However, I've been going on websites that said levels are supposed to be between 12 and 18. I'm really confused, which one is right? What's the difference between iron levels and heamaglobin levels? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Not sure what the normal levels are...however the difference between iron and haemoglobin levels is nothing!

Haemoglobin is the iron pigment within red blood cells which carries oxygen around your body. Therefore when you are anaemic you have less iron/haemoglobin, reducing the amount of oxygen being transported around your body, leaving you pale and feeling tired. My advice would be to go with what your doctor says, after all he is the one who is going to advise you to stop taking the iron supplements when he feels you are no longer anaemiac. Hope this helps :thumb:
  • Options
    Just had a quick nosey in one of my textbooks and it states normal Hb levels for females is 11.5-16.5
  • Options
    crystalx2 wrote:
    So.. I'm really confused. I've been aneamic for the past 4 months, and have to continue with iron supplements for the next 6 months. My most recent blood test showed that my iron levels were 2. (sorry, not sure how its measured) and my doctor said that the normal level is between 20 and 275. However, I've been going on websites that said levels are supposed to be between 12 and 18. I'm really confused, which one is right? What's the difference between iron levels and heamaglobin levels? :confused:
    It sounds like your doctor is talking about your ferritin level, rather than haemoglobin. Ferritin has that approximate range and is related to the iron stores in your body. You can Google for more detailed information, or try this to start with.
  • Options
    thank you!
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I know this is a bit silly, and of no help, but I read the title as iron/homogoblins ;[
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    I know this is a bit silly, and of no help, but I read the title as iron/homogoblins ;[
    You obviously haven't been to Specsavers.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Kentish wrote:
    You obviously haven't been to Specsavers.
    I have, even they couldn't help me :(
  • Options
    I recently went to the doctors and had a blood test to see if I was anaemic - i'm just about normal, but he said that the average iron levels were 22-322 (:
    Hope the iron supplements don't taste too nasty >_<