Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Presentation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
At the end of the month I have an interview with Microfocus. They have sent me some bumph about the interview day and have told me that I need to prepare a five minute presentation :eek:

There is no real indication of what this presentation is about except that it will be presented in front of all the candidates before the interviews themselves start.

Any ideas on what would be a good topic to do? Powerpoint or talking? etc..

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i would heavily research the company, it's history and where it might be going in the future.
    i would also think about topics such as 'what makes a good leader', 'what is teamwork' etc.

good luck!
    Seriously, they haven't set a topic?

This may sound stupid but make sure that you read the interview invitiation again, just to check. If there is nothing then I suggest that you contact them to see if they have anything in particular which they want you to cover.

If they don't then I would go with the above comment and try to make the presentation relevant to the role you have applied for.

If possible, do a powerpoint presentation just not too "jazzy" and not to much animation. You could call them to check that they have the relevant equipment available (nothing more embarassing than turning up prepared only to find out that they aren't) and it would also give you the chance to ask my previous question...

NB It is possible that they subject won't be set until the day and is a test of your ability to think "on your feet".
    I've read it through multiple times.

They said specifically its a subject of our choice
    I had one of those not long ago, and I found that using powerpoint wasn't practical for a five minute presentation, as I had enough problems fitting the information in without having the powerpoint as well. I did mine on a hobby of mine, using notecards and an OHT sheet for a visual focus point.
    For five minutes you would maybe need one or two slides, so powerpoint might be overkill. It would have been nice if the company told you what tools were available.
    I did mine on a hobby of mine, using notecards and an OHT sheet for a visual focus point.
    Doing it on a hobby you know about or a personal experience is a really good idea in my opinion since you are already an "expert" to some extent and not too much extra research would be needed.

Also, since this forms part of an interview day you could try to focus it onto some positive aspect of your life that makes you look like the type of person they would like to employ e.g. if you do a team sport then you can emphasise how you work effectively as a member of a team.

From the practical point of view a couple of slides sounds like a good idea. Try to be prepared for technical things going wrong e.g. have some paper copies of the slides to hand out incase the OHP is broken/ you don't get to use one. If it was me I would be tempted to take some other visual aid too- obviously depends a lot on what you are presenting on.