Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Text - taking over or good communication?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i read something today which made me think about texting, good thing or bad thing? some people think its taking over the world and people dont have proper conversations anymore, others think its a good way to communicate and makes it easy to keeep in touch.

im a bit of both, if i want to talk to somebody ill phone them but for a quick message like 'running late, be there soon' or something equally as short and to the point id just send a quick text.

what do you guys think? :)

hope this is in the right forum, never posted in here before.

Comments

• Options
    i :heart: texting. i like talking on the phone too, but texting is more private and discreet.
  • Options
    At least a billion text messages are sent in the UK every year, so we can't deny it is an important thing. I send a lot of text messages a day, but I'm ready to call people up if necessary. But then again, it could also be said that e-mail is taking over the world, and stopping people talking to one another.
    i :heart: texting. i like talking on the phone too, but texting is more private and discreet.
    Most of those texts are sent to me... :p
  • Options
    I like texting. Its cheaper than making a phone call. Still like talking on the phone too though.
  • Options
    Sugar wrote:
    i read something today which made me think about texting, good thing or bad thing? some people think its taking over the world and people dont have proper conversations anymore, others think its a good way to communicate and makes it easy to keeep in touch.

For those of us old enough to remember a world without e-mail, it brings back memories of the impact that has had.

People don't communicate in the same way and I'd be surprised if that hasn't had a negative impact on our personal relationships.

The wording in messages (either e-mail or txt) can be misinterpreted so easily and this can lead to arguements. What this impersonal form of communication lacks is the intonation of the spoken word and the body laguage of a face to face conversation.

I also worry about the impact it has on people's ability to spell correctly. And don't get me started on people using txt talk on these boards :mad:

However, on the plus side communication is now quicker and easier.
  • Options
    Had a similar conversation the other day about e-mail and texting.

Made me think that I couldn't remember the last time I hand wrote a letter!!!!!

Texting is useful, but I'd rather pick up the phone tbh.
  • Options
    The only problem I have with texting is that young people aren't learning how to spell words properly. It's an alright way of communicating, sometimes I don't wanna talk to someone for ages, I just want to know what the craic is.
  • Options
    Hate texting.
    But when needing to give short messages, and not wanting to start a conversation, then texting is the answer.
    I really see no point in text conversations. So much easier and fullfilling to talk through the phone.
  • Options
    for something quick i use text, also while im at work.

But i'd rather call someone.
  • Options
    Not too keen on texting, I mean look at it this way:

Me to you : r u going out tonight ?
    You : dont know, depends on money
    Me to you : Let me know if u r
    You to me: (2 hrs later) Yeah, meet you at 7
    Me to you : Who bookin taxi ?

Fucks sake, it would ave taken less time to phone :D
  • Options
    I never text anyway.

Hate it.
  • Options
    Textung, like email, is good for things that are impersonal, or aren't important. They're useful tools to aid communication, but they shouldn't be used as the only communication.

I'd worry about people who only ever communicate by text.
  • Options
    Like Sugar, I'm a bit of both, I still phone friends and family to talk to them, but if I just need to tell them that I'm running late or what time are you going to be home then I text them as its just easier.