Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

derren brown

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
\
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I find it very hard to believe that everyone he uses is actors. If that was the case how much money would he pay you to keep your mouth shut? It wouldn't be in his best interest to stage things with actors.

I find the stuff he does very interesting. The mind is a weird thing and does anyone know how it really works.

I'm seeing him live in Aberdeen soon so should be fun.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I prefer his shows were he does loads of little experiments. His "one-offs" do seem to lack punch but I still find it interesting.
  • Options
    I love Derren and most of the things he does. I was particularly interested by the replica of Milgram's experiment in last night's show, there haven't been any psychological experiments of this nature for a long time due to ethical reasons, so it was interesting to learn that the results obtained today were still similar to the results Milgram got in 1963.

I think even if you aren't impressed by the shows themselves, he does make you consider things that you wouldn't necessarily have considered before - for example, I would say that The Heist explored the extent to to which we are influenced by figures we perceive to be in authority, how we are influenced by advertising etc. I did like the Seance also as I thought he was making an interesting point about how supposed psychics and mediums can exploit people and work on their suggestability by claiming to contact the dead.

I've seen his live show and I know for certain that he could not use actors in these performances. Whether or not he uses actors in his TV shows does remain to be seen, but I would have thought he would have already been exposed by now if that were the case, and it does make you wonder if it were that simple why more people wouldn't be making money out of using stooges.

At the end of the day, it is a magic trick, he does use psychological manipulation - not just of the participants, but of the audience. What impresses me is not just what he does, but the issues that he raises and also the fact that he is very entertaining to watch.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I for one find him very interesting.

He's definately beyond the normal "showbizzy" stage hypnotists you see on tv, in that the man appears to have some kind of genuine interest in something more intellectual than making a middle aged man take off his underwear in front of a national audience.

As for being genuine....well, short of asking him/meeting him/seeing him live/actually being one of his subjects, you may well never know for sure. Personally, i would love to take part in something that he does. Ive always been curious about just how much one can tamper with the human mind and what effects it can have.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    don't bloody well watch it then
  • Options
    I think I would be willing to participate in a show like the one he has just done, but then that is partly due to the kind of personality I have - I am usually quite willing to let other people take control and make certain decisions for me (not important ones but more trivial ones). Even if it meant doing something like that in front thousands of people I wouldn't mind, as I think it would be an interesting experience.

Something that is really important to me is to really know myself, and I would be interested to see what I would do placed in that kind of situation - the extent to which I am suggestable and to which I would comply.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I like more of his street one to one tricks. All these big experiments are ok but not that interesting.
  • Options
    He went to the same Uni as me. That's all I have to say.
  • Options
    Damn! I missed that show! :( I love the stuff he does. Very clever bloke.

How he convinces people to do things like that is amazing. He just totally manipulates them. I've heard a couple of things about the show, and someone here said something about authority figures. It's amazing what people will do when faced with certain authority figures, and how they behave with them. A show like this should make people question their behaviour, and the behaviour of those around them. :nervous: :)