Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Divorce.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi need some advise guys and gals.

As some of you know. i split from my wife in the last part of 2005, after she decided to have an affair with someone from her work. I'm currently trying to get the house sorted out (take her name off the mortgage), as she's now being a bitch about the whole thing. But once thats sorted i'll start on the divorce.

I've spoken to a solicitor about the divorce and it looks like its going to cost me around £800-£1200 for me to divorce her. There is no point in me trying to get money from her as she's not got any.

My questions are this
1. Why does it cost soooo much?
2. Is there a cheaper way?
3. I heard that you can do it without a solicitor and direct at the courts. anyone got any info on this?
4. She doesn't want the third party named (his wife found out and he's staying for kids) in the divorce, which i know i can leave out if done by solicitor but if done via court can you leave the name out.
5. Any other advise you guys can give.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1. Solicitors fees.
    2. D.I.Y.
    3. http://www.quickie-divorce.com/?gad=CO6j6pwBEghoR3OQlROFYxjTtpD_AyDYiaMI

http://www.managed-divorce.co.uk/home.html

4. You don't have to name a third party in any divorce.

5. Don't rush into another relationship. ;)
    You can do it yourself, go to the desk at the family court and they will be very happy to explain things, and help you go ahead with it.

To be honest, you are best off getting a solicitor if you can find the money, as it makes things easier, and makes it less likely that you will get screwed. If it's amicable then that's one thing, but I get the odd feeling this one won't be.
    I think the words "she's now being a bitch about the whole thing" were the big clue.
    Solictors cost, a lot, and you can do it yourself, but I'm with kermit and miffy, seing as this wont be amicable, getting a solictor means you wont get screwed over by her. (And I have some real horror stories about that!)

Also silly as it sounds, if you have a will get it amended to take her off it, or get a solictor to do one for you, just in case anything happens before it all goes through.
    Hi There

Unfortunately thats how much solicitor's fees are. The only way you would be able to get it cheaper, it if you were on a low income and entitled to legal aid. I wouldn't reaaly advise doing it yourself as there could be complications regarding the finances in the future. You could always have advice from a solicitor in relation to the drafting of the legal documents and the procedure, but file all documents at court yourself, that way your costs would be minimised slightly.

It may seem like the divorce proceedings will go on forever, but it will be a relief when they are over. Make sure you sort out everything now, as your ex may come back in the future trying to make a claim against you.

Hope everything goes ok!

Bec x
    yeah thanks guys, trying to sort out the house first (she wont sign it over untill i've had three valuations, even though we had it valued 2months ago) lucky for me the house prices in the area i live in have gone down. once i've got that done, think i'll got back to the solicitors about the divorce.
    I just want it all over. i'm getting on with my live and making new friends, seeing old ones and getting back to my hobbies, but i just want it all over and done with. feels like this is hanging over me and i wont be free till it is.
    I know exactly what you mean Youngbull. I was so desperate to get it over and done with I perjured myself in my divorce to cut the time dramatically. Sigh. I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't do it again. :no:
    thanks for the advice hun, think i'll end up going the costly and timely solicitor way. hopefully i can start on that soon