Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Timothy Leary

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you lot make of this guy? Should he be taken seriously?

I've been reading some of his work and a lot of it is way out to the point where i'm wondering if i'm wasting my time on the ravings of a lunatic. That said, some of this assertions do strike a cord of logic.

Comments

• Options
    Spliffie wrote:

I've been reading some of his work and a lot of it is way out to the point where i'm wondering if i'm wasting my time on the ravings of a lunatic. That said, some of this assertions do strike a cord of logic.
    very respected academic ...until he tried to turn the world on to lsd.

over thirty years since i took much notice so can't remember much of what he said now ...apart of course from his famous ...turn on tune in and drop out.

his ashes were blasted into space not long ago.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:

reminds me of my attempt to read a david icke book, only without the logic.
  • Options
    (off the top of my head) Dr Timothy Leary was a Harvard research academic and held professorships during his lifetime. One of his main contributions to popular drug usage was the quote you got from rolly, but behind that lies a large body of research into the environmental and psycho-social aspects of psychoactive substances.

Oh and Leary renounced widespread usage of LSD in his later years, returning to his previous view that it should only be administered by medical professionals.

Oh and also the US secretly kidnapped him from Afghanistan in the 1970s.
  • Options
    The concepts of set and setting in drug effects came from Leary. Interesting guy but a complete loon in the latter part of his life. Believed his own hype too much I think.
  • Options
    yeah he developed quite an interest (some might say obsession) with shamanism towards the end.

Theres alot about him on Erowid.
  • Options
    What exactly does shamanism entail because there's a weekend course on it around here that you can do, does it necessarily involve drugs?
  • Options
    Timothy Leary Erowid Vault

this might be interesting.

Oh and i was wrong i think it was Huxley who was interested in Shamanism (cant really remember), Leary was interested in virtual reality.
  • Options
    I've read Brave New World by Huxley and he mentions alot about soma, has anyone ever taken it here?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    They haven't conclusively identified what Soma is AFAIK - see this page I came across when I googled it...
  • Options
    He's an interesting guy..
    Though if you're interested in that stuff I would pick up Alexander Shulgin.
    Pihkal and Tihkal are amazing reads

As for shamanism.. It's a very broad topic. VERY broad. I see it pretty much as a spiritual journey. The use of psychoactive plants are common, but not neccessary. It was big in south america and some north american indigenous poeple. Search it on google, it's very interesting stuff.
  • Options
    It sounds good but wouldn't really be bothered with all that yet.

I've read bits of Pihkal online, Shulgin is a genius. I remember a while back he was in Dublin for a lecture but i never got down, had work on that day, pity though.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    It sounds good but wouldn't really be bothered with all that yet.

I've read bits of Pihkal online, Shulgin is a genius. I remember a while back he was in Dublin for a lecture but i never got down, had work on that day, pity though.

haha would've been worth a call in sick for that.. He really is. He's done so much, been through so much shit.. He's amazing!
  • Options
    haha would've been worth a call in sick for that.. He really is. He's done so much, been through so much shit.. He's amazing!

I have been reading about Shulgin recently. People like him should be the real celebrities.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    I have been reading about Shulgin recently. People like him should be the real celebrities.

Very VERY true.
    He should be god. and PIHKAL and TIHKAL should be the old and new testaments.
  • Options

It probably would have been, think of the possible chances of getting some of the 2c substances that night he was there.
  • Options
    Yeah, that could go either way though. There would either be a lot of 2c substances, or there would be absolutly nothing because he was monitered so closely
  • Options
    Yea i suppose but i was talking more along the lines of the type of people that would turn up to such an event.