Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shoplifting

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I believe a "ned" stands for non-educated delinquent. Basically a scottish chav.
  • Options
    Nicking something from Tescos in order to eat isn't morally justified, but it isn't something I would condemn.

Nicking something from Tesco because you'd rather spend the money on cigs and pills isn't morally justified, and is something I would condemn. I understand why addicts do do it, but lets not sit here and say that they are in any way justified in doing it.

I do think drug addicts should be able to get legal drugs to prevent the nicking, but hey.
  • Options
    I'd love to hear someone say that's not justified.

Ok.

If the unauthorise overdraft was soaking up all the money, then talk to the fucking bank and get it sorted out. They don't *have* to keep piling on charges. That way they don't get into the situation of only having 2p and the ex doesn't have to go on any missions.

The fag ends I can let off because that's trash, and trash is public domain.
  • Options
    If I was starving to death, I would fuck morals up the arse and throw them out the bed without a thank you or a breakfast in the morning.

Morality would be the last thing on my mind. But aye, in any other situation, there's nae excuse.
  • Options
    Dudes, chill out. Everything should be free man! Money, it like holds back humanity..fuck i'm hiiiiiiiiigh :D
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    If the unauthorise overdraft was soaking up all the money, then talk to the fucking bank and get it sorted out. They don't *have* to keep piling on charges.

:lol:

You serious? Or just trying to be the devil's advocate?

Banks will always pile the money on, simply because they can. Banks = vermin.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    turlough wrote:
    I believe a "ned" stands for non-educated delinquent. Basically a scottish chav.

I know what it's supposed to be mate. But the terms 'chav' and 'ned' are used for practically anything now - 1983's relpy just goes to show that. It's fucking stupid.

Apparently Spliffie is a ned now. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Mist wrote:

How saintly of you, Jesus.

And you think the bank would listen? Ha, do fuck off.
  • Options
    If you knew for certain you could pull of a bank robbery and get away with it, would you do it?

I fucking would.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    :lol:

You serious? Or just trying to be the devil's advocate?

Banks will always pile the money on, simply because they can. Banks = vermin.

A bit of both, to be honest.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I know what it's supposed to be mate. But the terms 'chav' and 'ned' are used for practically anything now - 1983's relpy just goes to show that. It's fucking stupid.

Yea I know...it's hard not to be a "chav" these days.

I'm proud and I don't care :D
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

How does my reply go to show I use it just because it tickles my fancy and it's used for anything?

I live in the Scottish capital of Neds. He fits the type. :| He condones stealing/getting high/no morals, etc. Fuck that mate, he sounds like a ned.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    A bit of both, to be honest.

I can't believe anyone seriously thinks banks will listen or help.

My wage was very late one month, and one well-known bank that I won't name but has the initials HSBC said oh, tough shit, we'll still have our fees.

But when I rule the world I will have HSBC execs begging for death. Theft is always morally unjustified, and that includes the cunts that run the banks and big corporations.
  • Options
    I love drama like this, we've not had any for aaaaages. :D
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    If you knew for certain you could pull of a bank robbery and get away with it, would you do it?

I fucking would.

Because your sense of morality and right / wrong is fucked up.

You seem to believe that because a corporation is big, it's ok to nick from. Yet somehow I don't expect that that would extend to someone nicking your drugs, or your tv, or your bike, because you happened to have a better one than they did.

It's bullshit to think that stealing from corporations doesn't have an effect. If everyone did it, then the corporation would go bust. The many people that the corporation employs would be out of a job. The farmers that the corporation might not pay very much to would get fuck all instead and would lose their farms.

Of course, if it's simpler for you to not bother to think about any of that, then fine, don't.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

I fucking would.

haha fuckin right i would
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Because your sense of morality and right / wrong is fucked up.

it's a bit harsh to say that, imo.

perhaps he could say you not wanting to do it was fucked up.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    He condones stealing/getting high/no morals, etc. Fuck that mate, he sounds like a ned.

No morals?
    Do you know him do you?

If you don't agree with him getting high or stealing than give him grief about that, I'd stop throwing around stupid insults such as 'ned' though - it seems everybody has a different interpretation on the term and it's fucking stupid.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It has happened several times now that debate threads are in anything goes, as they develop into them.

Move it perhaps?
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Ok.

If the unauthorise overdraft was soaking up all the money, then talk to the fucking bank and get it sorted out. They don't *have* to keep piling on charges. That way they don't get into the situation of only having 2p and the ex doesn't have to go on any missions.

This was back in 1998/1999 before the internet and telephone banking. I was 19 and on state maternity benefits. It was all a big mess, way too complicated to go into now, but some money I was expecting hadn't gone into my account, and the rent had come out and somehow I ended up with an unauthorised overdraft - when I was expecting to find some money in there!! I realised this at 5pm on a Friday evening.

Banks / benefit offices weren't open on evenings and weekends then. I managed to speak to the bank on the following Monday and they waived the fees thankfully, but it still left me broke over the weekend and for a few weeks afterwards until it ironed itself out. They wouldn't give me an authorised overdraft due to other issues (poor credit rating, bad address & shaky employment record), they just stopped piling the charges on. Any money that went in just went towards reducing the overdraft, I wasn't able to withdraw it. I already had a loan with them that I was having problems repaying on my £50 a week so I wasn't their favourite customer.

I know it was wrong, my circumstances were a lot different back then and I wouldn't do it again as I have other options now
  • Options
    So you didn't know anyone who could lend you two quid to get a loaf of bread and whatever?
  • Options
    Spliffie is actually quite an intelligent person. All you know how to do 1983 is spread your legs. ;)
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Spliffie is actually quite an intelligent person. All you know how to do 1983 is spread your legs. ;)

I disagree with everything written there.

Not to insult you spliffie, but I think your views are absurd (in this thread).

I need proof for the latter. 1983, go. :p

1983 just needs to stop being "realistic" - otherwise it's ok.

On topic: I just think you lot are looking too much on the usernames and not on the text.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    So you didn't know anyone who could lend you two quid to get a loaf of bread and whatever?

No - I had exhausted all my avenues and I really didn't know what else to do. It was a really bad time back then, I had fallen out with my parents and hung around with generally a bad crowd who were even skinter than I was. Things are much better now, I don't even know how I managed to get myself in that mess in the first place really.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I don't doubt that. But it does not justify theft. People need to help themselves, and if they won't do that, trying to help them would be in vain.

And if your lungs ever fail, I'll be there- "breathe boy, breathe. Your heart won't work if you won't breathe boy!"
  • Options
    I used to shop lift back when i was 15-16 or so, but now its to risky. Rather not pull a wynonnia. (sp)
  • Options
    I shop lifted when I was 13, wouln't do it now. I also dont condon shop lifting if its for someone in joolyknockers position, sometimes you have to break the law.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I did a few times as a child, got caught, havent since.

I'd only really condone it if you HAVE to.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Some people make me sick.

I wouldn't steal objects or money unless I was really starving and had no other way to get helped. And even then, as soon as I (safely) could, I'd give back the worth of however much I'd stolen (anonymously).
  • Options
    Theiving is theiving no righteousness about it. If you're skint get a job, if you spent all your money on crap serves you bloody right! If you wanna "get back" at big coperations don't bloody go to their supermarket and shop at aldi or netto.

There is no excuse for being a pikey unless you are one and in that case if you are so skint that you have to ask for freebies everytime you try and buy something why don't you sell your luxury caravan 3000 along with your brand new tax-free 4x4 toyota. OR if you really wanna, ask your gf to shit out a sprog so you can claim child benifit and get a 4 bedroom council house all on the tax payers expense. :lol: