Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Starting a family

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
No, i'm not planning on starting a family, need a partner for that anyway :p

My question is this though. When you where younger, high school age kind of thing, when ( if ? ) you thought about your future at what age did you see yourself settling down with a partner or wife and having kids.

For me i always said i wanted to have a partner and kids by the time i was thirty. I'm still single now and 23 so a few years left to get their :p

and now you have grown up a bit, gotten wiser and maybe had more relationship experience and work now, what are your thoughts / plans now ?

This is just out of curiousity btw. Over to you ..

Comments

• Options
    Ifor the last couple of years i have thort that i would be getting married to my current fella and settling down when i finish uni but now its looking that that isnt the case.

when i was at school i always thort i would be married with 2 kids by the age of 30
  • Options
    when i was at school i thought i'd be married at 25 and have my first baby at 27.

:chin:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    kaffrin wrote:
    when i was at school i thought i'd be married at 25 and have my first baby at 27.

:chin:

Mee too :chin: :chin:
  • Options
    I always figured about 30 too as my mum had me when she was like 18! I couldnt imagine having a kid now ( I am 23) at the same time my mums best friend did it the other way round and had kids in her thirties, only thing is, she split with her bloke of like 20 years and now has 3 boys, all under 10 and is in her 40's....... when i think of it like that i better get a bun in the oven quick time! lol

I guess each to their own, besides things very rarely turn out the way you plan anyway right!??
  • Options
    i dunno,i think i want to be married and thinking about having kids by the time in 26.
  • Options
    I guess maybe 25-ish. But obviously things change, and you can't plan when you fall in love and stuff.
  • Options
    ???
  • Options
    I would probly 24 ish after i get my mansion and my fast car (i never grow up) :razz: ;)
  • Options
    Up until the age of eleven I really thought I'd do oxbridge/Med School, get married at 26 and have two children between 26 and 32. Hell I even got a sphygmomanometer for my tenth? birthday and was thrilled- oh jolly good, super, whiz-bang, marvelous. A grand house in the country with a tennis court, pool and 'the gardens'. :rolleyes: It's ok though, I tossed those ideas out once I realised I could have thoughts of my own... The family I have now, me and the child I had at sixteen, was in none of my revised plans either but, a beautiful little family unit we be. :heart: I'm not sure about marriage, the lover I assumed I would marry who died and my non-inlaws will always be family to me. Maybe I'll meet someone else, maybe I won't but... I definately want to raise more children. And a dress, a beautiful funky, sexy, stylish all-things-fab-about-woman dress- but I don't strictly need a wedding for that! :thumb:
  • Options
    Not sure if I wanna get married or have kids so I didnt really have a plan
  • Options
    I always thought that I would be married by 30 and hopely have children by the time I was about 35. But know I can see myself being married in the next 5 years, due to my boyfriend being a few years older then me.
  • Options
    ^^^Have you started looking at/dreaming about dresses yet?
  • Options
    My boyfriend's 25 and I'm 20. His biological clock is ticking but I have told him in no uncertain terms that I've never wanted to be a youngish mum, I'd rather have a job and be successful for a few years before handing it over to the kids.

Two. That's the only thing I am certain about, after that I'm gettin the snip!
  • Options
    I always thought I'd have some fun for a bit at uni, and settle down in my mid 20s, first kid in late 20s.

But hey, I met the best girl first, so things have moved on a bit, I reckon we'll have our first at about 25/26.
  • Options
    can't remember ever really having thought about it whilst i was that young. i knew i wanted to get married/have kids but didn't think about when.

now (i'm 20)..i'd like to think i'd be married by the time i'm 30 as well as either being pregnant or having a kid. maybe not the child, but definately like to be married.

i don't like to think about it too much 'cause i'm only at uni now and haven't a clue what's coming in the years ahead. i'll just take things as they come. 1 thing i do know however, is that i'm in no rush!
  • Options
    a few years before 30, for both marrige and kids. i always said id want to get married at 25, and have kids at 27.
  • Options
    I never had those thoughts, and i still havent.

Ive never wanted to get married and ive never wanted children.

Maybe im just strange.

Im happy about the idea of a long term partner (even life long), buying a house together and all that, but the idea of marriage and children doesnt appeal to me. I only want a career
  • Options
    Don't want kinds, never have.

I don't see marriage working for me.
  • Options
    I've never dreamt of getting married or having kids. I've not changed much since then and until today.

Maybe if I had a stable partner my outlook would change, but while I don't I'm happy enough to think of myself as single and childless in the future.
  • Options
    my fiance and i are sooo looking forward to children, and we are both feeling really broody at the moment (me more so i think!). But at 19 I'm just in my second year of uni and he is 22. We both realise that it is important to bring up kids when the time is right and we are settled.

would love to have 5 kids (but we'll take one at a time!), and start to try at about 23. We cant wait.
  • Options
    When I was young I never wanted to get married and I never wanted children. Now the married part has changed but I still do not want children. And I'm so lucky to have found a man who absoutly despises them as much as me. :heart: Hes 28 and I"m 20, so at the very least if I accidently have one, it may be around the age of 27 or so.

If they can ever do something where dogs don't bathroom, then I think maybe we'll discuss getting one, other than that. Children :yuck:
  • Options
    lol^^^They're worse when they're babies. It's strange how people get attached to them (yes, I fell victim too) when they're mostly useless poopy makers with alien proportioned heads. And then, they turn six and wash ya car for ya :D Maybe that's why I'm thinking of more, all the sleepless nights and nappy changes are but a distant memory. Well, unless it's an immaculate conception I won't be having more any time soon.
  • Options
    They are always annoying. Nasty when their babies, and oh my god 99% are butt ass ugly!! Then they are todlers and they whine and throw tantrum. Then they get more grown up more annoying tantrus as they hit the age of 7 or so. Then they learn to bitch. Then they become teenagers, then older teenagers... Then you dish out the big bucks for college (university, whatever you want to call it) There is never a good age for kids.
  • Options
    Said with conviction. I know I've asked this in this thread before but... Have you started lookin at/ droolin' over dresses yet? (wedding not christening- don't worry, I get it)
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Said with conviction. I know I've asked this in this thread before but... Have you started lookin at/ droolin' over dresses yet? (wedding not christening- don't worry, I get it)

Yes I have started to notice wedding dress when I walk past them in shop windows. Its strange in sometimes I'm excited by the idea but other times I feel scared by the idea. I think its just nerves as I really love my boyfriend, but I don't want to think too far ahead yet as,

a) we have only been going out for a year (well in two weeks time it will be)
    b) he has not asked me
    c) I don't want to jinx it ( does that sound strange?)
  • Options
    I saw this really cute hot pink one in the mall at a bridal shop. That was a straight away "no" :p
  • Options
    I want either 3 or 4 kids, I also want to start when I'm 25 odd. Hopefully I'll find the right women by then.

When I was younger I thought 18 was really old so I thought I'd be married with kids by the time I was 20.
  • Options
    I wanted to be married by the time I was 25 and start having kids at about 26.

I'm 23 now and want to start trying for a baby in a year and a half after I'vbe completed my graduate programme and got settled in a service. Getting married isn't a top priority for me. I've always wanted to have my kids before I was 30, I want four so might have to have some in my 30's!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I saw this really cute hot pink one in the mall at a bridal shop. That was a straight away "no" :p

Mmm nice? Ivory/cream for me but I did once see a nice red coloured one in my local paper, as they print pictures of people who have got married over the last week.

White would be a big no no, as ever since I was a child I have never always ended up getting marks on white clothes. In fact i think I will just won't bother eating or drinking at all at my wedding.
  • Options
    I always thought i'd be married by the time I was 23/24 but i guess that isn't gonna happen now since I'm turning 24 in may and have no partner lol. Hopefully though i will meet someone nice and get married by the time i'm 30. I want four kids and by the time i'm 30 so i guess i have to work pretty fast on this one lol.