Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Differnece between cl2.5 and cl3 ram

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
As the topic title, what is the difference? What should I buy? (Both the same price, so that doesn't matter.)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The lower the CAS level, the faster the memory will perform. It's been a while since I was in to all this stuff, but I think it means the amount of time the system has to wait between pushing data into memory. Lower CAS latency means the system doesn't have to wait as long to update memory.

If you're into gaming and like being able to brag about synthetic benchmarks, then get the fastest. In the real world, for web browsing, working in MS Orifice, playing music and videos, etc, just go for the cheapest.

:)

Oh, and if you're adding memory(i.e, keeping some/all of what is already installed), then you'll probably need to run it all at the lowest rated speed. If you already have CAS3 RAM, then buying faster memory won't make a difference, though it should(?) be okay to run it at the slower speed with no ill-effects.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    So, cl2.5 is better? Tops. Thanks :D
    Indeed it is. :)
    If you're into overclocking then you should go for CAS 2 RAM that can be tweaked for low timings... You will have difficulty doing this with value RAM...

Other thing is if you are adding RAM to existing RAM, buy the same brands and speeds! Don't mis-match! Buying a pair of matched RAM is a good idea.
    You should buy matching ram to whatever you want to have, in terms of cas and everything else.