Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Government's u-turn on prostitution

124»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Many women (and men and children) are trapped in this way of life either literally and physically e.g. human traffic victims or in so much as they have not alternative way of earning money for food etc.
    And I think you'll find that is why they find it degrading; not that it is an intrinsic property of prostitution itself.

Of course, in the UK you need never turn to prostituin for food, we still have a welfare state. Ciggies perhaps.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    In some of the early parts of this thread you seemed pedantic about the minor details of the wall-paper example.

Okay so it was a crap example but the point being made was that in general there can be services where it is the user of the service who is degraded, not the provider.

Actually I'd say that the wall-paper thing is kind of the opposite- if you can afford to pay someone else to hang your wallpaper that is. But this isn't about decorators so it's not really relevant.

That wasn't pedantry - it was pointing out what an utterly moronic analogy it was.
    Yes, in as much as selling potatoes is like doing someones accounts

You got some issues.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I don't understand how anyone with even the slightest amount of emotional intellenge could write such nonsense as you have done in this thread.
    Just pointing out that your experience, while valid, isn't representative. That you appear to beleive it is, despite being told of contrary expriences indicates a shocking arrogance.

But feel free to insult me and my friends.
    Blagsta wrote:
    You got some issues.
    And you don't understand english, or are trolling.
    No, I just think you have quite a warped view of humanity.
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, I just think you have quite a warped view of humanity.
    From you, I take that as a compliment
    Believe me, it wasn't.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Believe me, it wasn't.
    Believe me, it was.
    Well here is Labour MP of Rotherham and Minister for Europe Denis MacShane's reply , from today’s Telegraph. He argues for prosecution with charges of rape and complete protection of prostitutes, I largely agree with this. Anyone else think this method should be used instead of legalisation? Personally I think legalising it would mean people accept it as normal, which is obviously a bad thing.
    The nice MP cites Sweden
    from here Swedish politicians and feminists are proud of the state’s prostitution policy. They insist that it has positive effects. Sex workers are of a different view. . . . They feel discriminated against, endangered by the very laws that seek to protect them, and they feel under severe emotional stress as a result of the laws. . . . sex workers are now more apprehensive about seeking help from the police when they have had problems with an abusive customer. . . . previous informal networks amongst the sex workers have weakened. The result is that they are no longer able to warn each other about the dangerous clients or give each other the same support. . . . Most of the women I have spoken to wish to be able to work together with others. This is to ensure safety and to support each other. . . . “ (Sex workers Critique of Swedish Prostitution Policy, By Petra Ostergren, 6 Feb 2004)
    While I don't know anyone who admits to having paid for sex

:wave:
    Of course, in the UK you need never turn to prostituin for food, we still have a welfare state. Ciggies perhaps.

What a bizarre idea of the country we live in.

Perhaps you should open your eyes a bit.

Some hookers want to do it, or are happy to for the money, to be more exact. But they aren't the ones who need protecting, its the ones doing it to fund a drug habit that need protecting.

Unless you think crack whores are just another service industry, eh? Perhaps we could out-source to India...
    Just pointing out that your experience, while valid, isn't representative. That you appear to beleive it is, despite being told of contrary expriences indicates a shocking arrogance.

But feel free to insult me and my friends.

Would you consider flogging your arse down the local pick-up area??

Would you be happy if your girlfriend/sister/daughter did likewise??

If not, why not?
    Spliffie wrote:
    Would you consider flogging your arse down the local pick-up area??
    When I have considered it I've decided it's too much like hard work. I'm not a big fan of kerb crawling, it has lots of undesirable side effects.
    Would you be happy if your girlfriend/sister/daughter did likewise??
    a daughter is unlikely, as is a girlfriend, but I would have no problem with a familly member doing so. I would be unhappy if my partner were to take up prostitution, but from a selfish standpoint - If he did we'd have to practice safe sex at home (and they say a cobblers familly is poorly shod). I've no problems with being in a partnership with someone who had previously been a prostitute.
    When I have considered it I've decided it's too much like hard work. I'm not a big fan of kerb crawling, it has lots of undesirable side effects.

a daughter is unlikely, as is a girlfriend, but I would have no problem with a familly member doing so. I would be unhappy if my partner were to take up prostitution, but from a selfish standpoint - If he did we'd have to practice safe sex at home (and they say a cobblers familly is poorly shod). I've no problems with being in a partnership with someone who had previously been a prostitute.
    How would you feel if your mum took up prostitution? No problem?!
    Randomgirl wrote:
    How would you feel if your mum took up prostitution?
    That you bother to ask this question even after I've said I wouldn't have a deep objection to my partner doing so suggests you still find the idea of parents being sexual beings shocking - if so there really isn't much point in discussing this further until you have grow up.

As my relevant memories of my mother only include her strong belief in sex only taking place with a loving context; yes I would have a problem. Otherwise not. I think she would have been quite good at it; she was always able to put her clients at ease when performing interviews for psychological research - and they can get quite personal; and she never held any truck with social taboos - she had no trouble getting her tits out in public to breast feed any of us.
    Kermit wrote:
    But they aren't the ones who need protecting, its the ones doing it to fund a drug habit that need protecting.
    Yes, but don't tell me they're doing it to afford food. I agree being sufficeiently addicted to do things you don't want to is very degrading, be it prostitution or stealing from friends and familly. Also, I still believe such peiople would be in a better position to be helped if both drugs and prostitution were legalised - NOT decriminalised, and defineately not further criminalised
    Unless you think crack whores are just another service industry, eh? Perhaps we could out-source to India...
    Well, I'm sure they have a suitale caste.