Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Drinking in the street?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, i need some help. On New Years eve I was in a friends house and i was drinking and then I went out to the shop and took a bottle of wkd with me stupidly, and of course between the house and the shop the police caught me and two friends. The police said that we were being cautioned or charged or something, took our details and let us go. But the thing is does anyone know if anything will happen to us? I am really really worried about this can someone please help me?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    They will beat you with billy clubs when you sleep. After all, they have your address now I assume.

If you were being charged they would have done it then. I'm assuming you got a warning or something similar. So next time they know you've alreaedy been warned and they won't be so leinent.
  • Options
    silly boys, shouldnt have even served you in your state ;)
  • Options
    You're not going to jail.

If the cop is sound you'll probably get away with it, if not, you'll get a fine for drinking in public.
  • Options
    Been harrassed by police a few times for it, never been asked for details or handed fines. They used to patrol campus and have words with people taking a bottle from the union back to the halls, which is height of pettiness.
  • Options
    Sounds like one of the worst police forces ever. Drinking in the street is one of the simple pleasures in life.
  • Options
    I didnt even know drinking in public was illegal !!

I'm sure the police should have better things to do :p
  • Options
    police over here were only ever a pain in the arse when i was under 18, also depends on where you are! ..they wouldnt even look at you twice where i live but in some areas they'll get out and take your carry out off you if they want .. but only if you're actually drinking it, if you werent they didnt do anything, even underage :) - ... quite a bastard if its a friday night and you're skint :(

just run away next time, even more fun! :P
  • Options
    Probably it was just a couple of conmen scouting for addresses of drunken students.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Drinking in the street is one of the simple pleasures in life.

No it isn't. It's horrible.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    I didnt even know drinking in public was illegal !!

Drinking in public is not illegal generally, but a lot of towns and cities have by-laws banning it in the centre of town. For example, Aberdeen certainly does, but I'm pretty sure edinburgh doesn't.
  • Options
    i'm sure you'll be fine matey, there's no doubt those same policemen probably stopped many others for drinking on the street on new years eve. I've been stopped before for drinking in the park, PC Plod just said put the drink in the bin and if he catches me again then there could be a bit of trouble. 'The Old Bill' are pretty considerate at the end of the day.
  • Options
    Exactly what z01 said.
  • Options
    If there is a fine does anyone know how much it will be?
  • Options
    think its just a standard public offence, which is about £80 i think, well thats what my "friends" was for pissing in the street.

you arnt allowed to drink in town centre here either, but everywhere else isnt a problem
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    think its just a standard public offence, which is about £80 i think, well thats what my "friends" was for pissing in the street.
    :lol: didn't know you could get a fine for that.
  • Options

What's horrible about it :confused:

We used to have an excellent spot next to a park, nice little clump of trees, away from the sight of most people. Excellent times.

Not everyone who drinks or has drunk in public is a nuisance.
  • Options
    In my experience, its only the white trash that drink in the streets anyways, or the "bad boys" of the area. But they are trashy also.
  • Options
    Most places have bylaws (inc brighton) but i've still drunk in the streets despite this! You'll either get away with it or get a standard public offence fine.

Slighly off the theam of the thread, brightons drinking by-laws mean you cant drink in nearly all the parks, and on most of the beach! Which is just crap.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:

In wales, IIRC, fines aren't given if people are caughting peeing in the street. Instead, they have to clean it up themselves...
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:

Where I live you can be fined up to 500 quid :confused:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    In my experience, its only the white trash that drink in the streets anyways, or the "bad boys" of the area. But they are trashy also.

Drinking outside when you're underage is a truly higher form of recreation :yes: .
  • Options
    You're wrong.
    Well ok, i'll rephrase, Drinking in public places is one of the simple pleasures in life. A field, a church yard, a park, a flat rooftop, doesn't really matter. As long as it's not raining and you're with a group of mates, it's way more fun than a smoky pub.
    Infact there was nothing better than going up on 'skutter roof' a flat roof above some outhouse that had some offices backing onto it, and a fire escape going upto it. In the summer it was the best thing, take up some tinnies, or a few bottles of cheap wine, and get drunk while the people watch you outside the office window. Sometimes a disposable BBQ went up there too. Oh happy days.

I find myself agreeing with spliffie. :)
  • Options
    You're wrong.
    Well ok, i'll rephrase, Drinking in public places is one of the simple pleasures in life. A field, a church yard, a park, a flat rooftop, doesn't really matter. As long as it's not raining and you're with a group of mates, it's way more fun than a smoky pub.
    Infact there was nothing better than going up on 'skutter roof' a flat roof above some outhouse that had some offices backing onto it, and a fire escape going upto it. In the summer it was the best thing, take up some tinnies, or a few bottles of cheap wine, and get drunk while the people watch you outside the office window. Sometimes a disposable BBQ went up there too. Oh happy days.

I find myself agreeing with spliffie. :)

You can be my first disciple. I've fancied elevating myself to godhood for a while now.
  • Options
    Well...what the hell, why not?
  • Options
    haha

disposible bbq and a carry out

CANT BEAT IT
    :thumb: