Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

35 people stabbed in 3 hours

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Disturbing.

Since carrying a knife is usually illegal is it not time that it's made easier for the police to stop and search? I think the government also needs to think about automatically jailing those illegally carrying a knife.

Comments

• Options
    ---
  • Options
    So you have conclusive proof of that do you?

Wow, have you a crystal ball?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Sigh. A right sorry state society is in these days.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So you have conclusive proof of that do you?

Wow, have you a crystal ball?

For all I know I've directly seen more violence and threats of violence (overlooking all the stories of violence) in my 3 months in England, than I have from going out in Copenhagen since the age of 14/15.

I can't think of a place that serves drinks 24-hours, though our places are a lot more generous in their time-span of serving. That's for sure.
  • Options
    ---
  • Options
    I saw a lot of people saying that 24 hour opening would lead to the downfall of western civilization.
  • Options
    Since carrying a knife is usually illegal is it not time that it's made easier for the police to stop and search? I think the government also needs to think about automatically jailing those illegally carrying a knife.

No, it's time to make carrying weapons mandatory, obviously. Preferably guns, but I see no reason why not knives.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    klintock wrote:
    No, it's time to make carrying weapons mandatory, obviously. Preferably guns, but I see no reason why not knives.

It is time for a more Authoritarian appraoch, but in a good way. We mostly see authority used in all the wrong ways currently, and so it has become a dirty bad word.

We also need to sort out society and what is causing these problems. If it means arming people to defend themselves for a time until we can, ok, but permanantly? No. It's done more harm than good in the US of A. Ok, so for some time, it was needed. But now? No.
  • Options
    You can not make it illegal to carry all kinds of knifes, what if you work in a job that requires a knife for cutting up things or opening boxes or whatever? And you canot even regulate knives liek you can guns because you need a knife just as much to cut up bread as you do stab people. Guns only have one use though, thats why its easier to make laws against them.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Guns only have one use though, thats why its easier to make laws against them.

What about people who hunt?

There isn't a knife epidemic, you here about the odd spate of attacks but it's not a regular occurance.
  • Options
    I meant Guns are meant for killing in general, Hunting kind of falls into that realm, you see.
  • Options
    It is time for a more Authoritarian appraoch, but in a good way. We mostly see authority used in all the wrong ways currently, and so it has become a dirty bad word.

Authority is the perfect solution except for the fact that it only effects those who don't need it in the first place.
    We also need to sort out society and what is causing these problems. If it means arming people to defend themselves for a time until we can, ok, but permanantly? No. It's done more harm than good in the US of A. Ok, so for some time, it was needed. But now? No.

The problem with the "US" and violence is as much to fo with the way they present violence as a solution to all ills then anything wrong with the idea of people being armed. Historically, those societies that have had everyone armed have become very polite, very quickly.
  • Options
    I wish people would listen to me.

If we had 24 hour drinking in pubs and clubs this drunken violence would not happen.
    I disagree...

Since 24 hour licensing has hit my town, we've had less violence. People don't need to rush their drinks, some people even go out later. They go to clubs that are open later and leave when they feel like it.

People aren't all thrown outside at once from the clubs at 2am, when they're tired they go... Less ques for kebabs which means more business for them, shorter waits for taxis.
  • Options
    is it not time that it's made easier for the police to stop and search?

:eek:

How hard do you think it is now?
  • Options
    :eek:

How hard do you think it is now?

Given that it’s extremely time-consuming I’d say pretty difficult.

For each person the police stop and search they have to fill in the name, address and ethnic origin of the person they’ve stopped. I know several people in the police and while it sounds a reasonable idea in practice from what I hear it's a joke.
  • Options
    For each person the police stop and search they have to fill in the name, address and ethnic origin of the person they’ve stopped. I know several people in the police and while it sounds a reasonable idea in practice from what I hear it's a joke.
    these rules were well meant but ...i agree.
    it's not easy yto police when your spending so much time doing mostly pointless paperwork.
  • Options
    Given that it’s extremely time-consuming I’d say pretty difficult.

There's a reason for that. Read up on the sus laws and Brixton, St Pauls, Toxteth, Handsworth.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    There's a reason for that. Read up on the sus laws and Brixton, St Pauls, Toxteth, Handsworth.

I don’t dispute the fact that the police and individual officers have in the past abused their powers – and while things have got a lot better wrongdoings still happen.

However, none of that changes the point that the number of people carrying knives has in the past several years vastly increased. As has the number of stabbings. How do you think the police can reduce the number of stabbings? Can you not see how stopping and searching more people might help? And making it easier to do that? Since almost any police officer will tell you that will mean less knives on the street and therefore save lives on what grounds could you possibly oppose making it easier for the police to do their job?
  • Options
    Has it actually increased? I'm not too sure meself.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Has it actually increased? I'm not too sure meself.

I haven't looked for figures although when I heard this on Radio 5 last night someone mentioned the figures, not just for NYE (35 obviously being an increase). In London I heard the number of stabbings over the past 5 years had increased quite a lot..I'll post figures when I find them.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to see figures to illustrate that stabbings have got more common. The papers like to gnash their teeth, but I don't think they have got more common.

People will go out tooled up for a fight. It's always happened, always will. No amount of legislation will stop it, but if you use a knife in a fight you should be assumed to be a dangerous offender under the new provisions, and be locked up until you are safe again.
  • Options
    OK, lets assume for a minute that it has increased. Have you any reason to believe that increased stop and search powers would make any difference? Given that actually the police can and do stop and search with impuinity already.
  • Options
    Police stop and search powers

What do you suggest Disillusioned? Random searches on anyone the police don't like the look of?
  • Options
    I was joking Blagsta. Did you miss all that fuss about pubs opening for 24 hours a day because it would, apparently, stop binge drinking and drunken violence?
    And NYE celebrations have how much to do with extended pub opening hours, exactly?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Police stop and search powers

What do you suggest Disillusioned? Random searches on anyone the police don't like the look of?

No. I just don’t think the police should have to fill in time-consuming paperwork for each person they stop. I think it prevents the police from doing their job properly – they’re not there to waste half an hour filling in forms because they decided to stopped a few people. Has nobody else seen this first-hand anywhere? It might have been a nice idea but it really doesn't work very well.
  • Options
    So you don't think that the police should keep proper records of searches? :confused:
  • Options
    Incidentally, and on a tangent note, I like this letter to the editor in one of the papers this morning:
    One stabbing at the Notting Hill carnival and the event is too dangerous; 35 stabbings at New Year celebrations and the event is a success. I wonder what the difference is?

Quite...
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So you don't think that the police should keep proper records of searches? :confused:

I wouldn't have a problem with police officers being given a hand held recorder or something to record reports so office staff could then type up the report later; that works well in hospitals for doctors. The present system however stops the police from doing their job properly and wastes their time. I'm surprised you're unable to see that. What do you think?
  • Options
    Personally I think that the police writing up their paperwork is a necessary part of the job and the only coppers complaining about it are the ones who want carte blanche to stop and search anyone they don't like the look of.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have a problem with police officers being given a hand held recorder or something to record reports so office staff could then type up the report later; that works well in hospitals for doctors

Given the ability of the police to change things like this to fit whatever crime they would have liked you to have done this week, it's a very bad idea.

If you aren't worth writing a report over, you aren't worth stopping.
    The present system however stops the police from doing their job properly and wastes their time.

Just out of interest what do you think the police's job actually is?