Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Steering Problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't know much about cars :(

I have a 03 plate Ford Fiesta which I bought second-hand last March. It's still under it's three year warranty until July (thankfully!) and I'm taking it to the local Ford garage first thing, but in the meantime, I wondered if anyone could explain what's wrong with it..

The steering wheel feels very very 'loose'. For instance, when I'm about to turn left and turn into the corner then stop at a give way line, once the car has stopped, the wheel will still turn a lot more to the left than feels right (correct!). At the moment, the car is parked on our drive which includes a slight bend - to look at the front wheels of the car, they are turned about two inches off centre, but the steering wheel is practically upside down!

I had a similar thing happen a couple of months ago and found out that the power steering fluid hose(?!) had a split in it. This was apparently replaced by the garage, although I have no paperwork to show it. As it was all done under the warranty, they didn't give me anything (I've already had a barny with them about it after I filled in the Customer Satisfaction Survey and got a phone call from the garage manager!). Surely the same thing can't have gone again?! :(

Whilst on the subject, and this may be a long shot, but does anyone know if a website exists which lists common faults with particular models of car? For instance, if a particular model has been recalled because of a fault on all cars made in that 'batch'.. :confused:

Comments

• Options
    How are your tyres? Do they have enough tread and are they properly inflated?
  • Options
    Check tyre pressures.
    Check wheels are bolted on securely.
    Take car to garage, do not drive quickly, try not to make sudden left and right movements.

2 inches of horizontal movement will change the direction of the vehicle a fair amount. A wiser approach would be to have both wheels pointing straight ahead when noting the position of the steering wheel...

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp
  • Options
    The tyres were all new in March and have done about 7,000 miles since. Have to admit I've not looked at them particularly closely lately tho. My boyfriend checked the pressures and corrected them last Wednesday.
  • Options
    The steering linkages are probably loose and need adjusting... garage time.
  • Options
    Will that be expensive? :(
  • Options
    In comparison to something failing and losing control of the vehicle, not at all.