Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why do people do this?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why is it that people show an interest in you, then they don't?

Not getting angry or anything but am getting a bit bored of this. I find that girls seem to get friendly with me and show an interest in me, but when I give them their number they don't call/ask for their number they don't give it

I've started to get more serious about having a girlfriend then in the past so this is an issue to me. Just wondering if it's something I'm doing wrong: maybe the whole thing of giving and asking for numbers isn't good or I fall into the trap of being 'just a friend'. Or am I simply being mucked about?

While we're talking about this, what do you think is the best way for a guy to approach a girl if she seems interested?

Comments

• Options
    Go over and say hi?
  • Options
    Just flipping talk to people. If you arse about with all this "ooh, what's your number?" crap then you'll never get anywhere.

What is it about moaning people at the minute? Just talk to people, they're not that scary.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Just flipping talk to people. If you arse about with all this "ooh, what's your number?" crap then you'll never get anywhere.

This is very true, at least for me anyway.
  • Options
    I don't know, the fear of rejection or your intentions being taken the wrong way can be pretty fear inducing.

I gave my number to a girl a few weeks ago who said she'd "definately call me", not heard a word since.
  • Options
    why dont you try not offering your number??? if, for example, you've met a girl through a friend then surely you can meet up again in a group. Chat as much as you can and maybe just tell her its been nice chatting to her, and ask if she'd fancy a drink one night??? that way, if she says yes, then she should contact you!
  • Options
    you should never give your number to a girl, always ask for hers. that way you have some control of when to call or text.
    i'm not quite sure what everyone else on the thread are talking about to be honest. the way i meet guys is when im out. we have a llittle chat and swap numbers. and voila.
    not every girl is going to fancy you. don't be disheartened, just keep trying. if you see a girl, check if shes looking at you and try to dance near her or stand near her at the bar. then just say 'hi you having a good night?' and see what her response is (i.e if she wants to talk to you and you are getting good signals). then take it from there.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

What is it about moaning people at the minute? Just talk to people, they're not that scary.

Harsh words! But very true. However you slightly misunderstand the situation. I'm basically referring more to a work situation where there's not much time to talk to people rather than a bar situation.

Most tragic thing ever is that this girl who seems to like me starts work just when I'm leaving. Also she's Polish and only knows some English. So you can see that it's actually quite difficult to have a conversation, rather than it being a shyness problem.

Clubs tend to be a bit too shallow for my tastes. Think they are more about pulling than relationships and also it's difficult to chat in them because the music's too loud for it. I generally prefer pubs.

Agree that giving out your number isn't great, tbh I agree with what sugar_mouse has said. I've started to doubt the wohle exhanging numbers thing, it's seems better to try and meet up. Am I also right in thinking that it does make sense to get to know them as a friend? This is something where work and the internet is a bit easier than pubs/cafes/libraries, etc as you chat to the same people regularly
  • Options
    I find that girls seem to get friendly with me and show an interest in me, but when I give them their number they don't call/ask for their number they don't give it

i have a theory about this.
    i think sometimes the person realises after a while they arent interested, but then they take ur number b/c they feel obligated and just dont call.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    you should never give your number to a girl, always ask for hers. that way you have some control of when to call or text.

Oh yes :thumb:.

That's the only way forward, I know I wouldn't be able to stand waiting around for a call or text...[hypothetically] I'd definitely want the ball in my court.