Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

knitting needles and planes...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
i know you aren't allowed to take sharp pointy objects in your hand luggage, and i know that on the signs in most airports they specifically put knitting needles on the big no-no signs.

however, my needles are bamboo, and about as un-weaponlike as it's possible to be - about as threatening as a pencil. are these still banned?

not that i'm going on a plane again for a while, i'm just interested if it's just the metal ones they think are hazardous, or the general knitting activity.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I really don't know, to be honest (so why am I posting, you may ask...).

But last time I flew they took away my crochet hook as it's apparently a potential weapon :impissed:. I had to resort back to finger knitting, so I wouldn't be surprised if they took away knitting needles made from uncooked spaghetti.
    briggi wrote:
    But last time I flew they took away my crochet hook as it's apparently a potential weapon :impissed:.

definitely. those pesky terrorists and their chain stitch attacks.

mr. kaff once had his wallet chain confiscated as apparently you could strangle someone with it. but then, if he really wanted to strangle someone, surely he could have just used his hands?

:yeees:
    Violette wrote:
    Don't you know?
    They've stopped people taking their hands onto planes now. Gotta pack them in the suitcase, it's a bloody nightmare.

it's a dangerous world...

have the plane people ever stopped to think that maybe by writing that big long list of potential weapons, they are just giving people ideas?
    just take telescopic ones consealed as the arms of a pair of glasses and assemble on route :thumb:

Just make sure you hide your wool properly.
    kaffrin wrote:
    not that i'm going on a plane again for a while, i'm just interested if it's just the metal ones they think are hazardous, or the general knitting activity.

I think it was determined in a study that the group of people most likely to conduct terrorism was "people that knit".

Anyhoo, from what I can tell, knitting needles were banned, but that ban has since been relaxed.
    Mist wrote:
    Anyhoo, from what I can tell, knitting needles were banned, but that ban has since been relaxed.

not at birmingham or belfast it hasn't. can't speak for anywhere else, but as of last week, both of those still have big signs saying 'knitters must die'.

ok, maybe not, but they are still listed on the forbidden items sign.
    kaffrin wrote:
    not at birmingham or belfast it hasn't. can't speak for anywhere else, but as of last week, both of those still have big signs saying 'knitters must die'.

ok, maybe not, but they are still listed on the forbidden items sign.

Not being a 'knitter' whats the likelihood of someone knitting themselves an AK47 whilst in flight?
    rachie004 wrote:
    When do u need to know for?

i'm not planning to fly anytime soon. possibly the summer, maybe?

it's just nice to think i'd have something to do on a long flight.

that and it's ridiculous. i am the most accident prone person alive (you wouldn't believe the stuff i've injured myself with) and i have never caused myself harm with a knitting needle. i refused to believe they can be used as a weapon.

having said that, at birmingham i watched someone get their nail clippers confiscated. honestly now.
    rachie004 wrote:
    I'm fairly sure security takes razor heads of people ( like the ones you use to shave your legs) - yet the boots airside sells them :rolleyes:

Yeah I noticed that when i was in the airport the other day - i'd diligently packed all my razors into my main luggage as well. Also they've started using metal knives and forks on the planes again so i can't see what further harm knitting needles can do - ohh though you know i'm sure you could stick them up someones nose give a sharp tap and give them brain damage.
    I've had metal cutlery on Lufthansa and Jet Airways (which is an Indian airline) and possibly Air France in the last 3 months.
    i'm sure you could do some serious damage with knitting needles if they were in the wrong hands.

such as...poking in the eye/up the nose. :eek:
    i'm sure you could do some serious damage with knitting needles if they were in the wrong hands.

such as...poking in the eye/up the nose. :eek:

no more than a pencil, though, surely?

don't tell me they've banned them. i'll never get on a plane again :/
    rachie004 wrote:
    I feel like using my pen as a dangerous weapon sometimes.. that or my radio :hyper:

in my case its the doormen in my club i use as dangerous weapons
    rachie004 wrote:
    my job is much more fun

*chases people through terminal screaming at them for delaying my flights* :p

mine is better, shouting to doormen over the radio

no
    no
    no
    no,
    yeh thats the one
    bang
    drag

-person exits club-