Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bit of a bug on the fora

2»

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    turlough wrote:
    Sorry but who are these "others" you talk about?

Am I one of them? If you think so, then I'm not doing it deliberately and will edit it out if you want. I just said maybe some people should respect what they have in life, someone pointed out that depressed people only see negative things. It hekps the thread, not the opposite.

See, I think you are completely right. And as someone who has been depressed I totally appreciate what you said and completely agree with what was put. and don't think you should edit it out.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JsT wrote:
    If I remember rightly its not the first time its kicked off in that thread. Its a shame really.

Why is it a shame? Sometimes I think people here expect the world to be a blobby ball of cotton wool. It isn't all peachy and, whilst 1983 might have been blunt and maybe even wrong in this case, sometimes what people need most is a good kick up the back side to stop them wallowing in their own self-pity.

If folk think that a thread on a public board is going to be a safe-haven just because folk would like it that way, then they are deluded. The world isn't that nice.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Mist wrote:
    Why is it a shame? Sometimes I think people here expect the world to be a blobby ball of cotton wool. It isn't all peachy and, whilst 1983 might have been blunt and maybe even wrong in this case, sometimes what people need most is a good kick up the back side to stop them wallowing in their own self-pity.

If folk think that a thread on a public board is going to be a safe-haven just because folk would like it that way, then they are deluded. The world isn't that nice.
    Yes, but they are some people who use the thread who need genuine help and advice, not a 'kick up the backside'.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Yes, but they are some people who use the thread who need genuine help and advice, not a 'kick up the backside'.

And I'm sure that they get it, advice is given out all the time. Why should that thread be any different from the many other threads here where, when people are taking the piss out of people who have real issues with trivial nonsense, they are rightly put into their place.

It's a bit of a double-standard I think, a bit odd.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Sorry but who are these "others" you talk about?

Am I one of them? If you think so, then I'm not doing it deliberately and will edit it out if you want. I just said maybe some people should respect what they have in life, someone pointed out that depressed people only see negative things. It hekps the thread, not the opposite.

ETA:Yes I agree littlemissy, there's a lot of good info in that thread but a lot of attention seeking, if I want attention i'll go annoy my mum!

Well you did say you were "going to have to take 1983's side on this" at the start of your post although what you personally added was not specifically offensive.

I think that the depression and self-harming thread is one of the most important threads on here.

The day that I first discovered thesite I found that particular thread. I had been a self harmer for three and a half years completely in secret, nobody knew. On reading that thread I felt the courage to make a doctors appointment and attempt to sort things in my life out. I still struggle with self harm and depression and still turn to the health forum for support at times. Imagine if the first thing I’d read on here was 1983’s post. I wouldn’t have stayed around long enough to realise that not everyone on here is like that.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Why should that thread be any different from the many other threads here where, when people are taking the piss out of people who have real issues with trivial nonsense
    Because of the sensitivity of the issues involved.

Because that's the thread we turn to when we are feeling so low that we want to self harm or are feeling suicidal.

It's kind of different to P&D.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    And I'm sure that they get it, advice is given out all the time. Why should that thread be any different from the many other threads here where, when people are taking the piss out of people who have real issues with trivial nonsense, they are rightly put into their place.

It's a bit of a double-standard I think, a bit odd.
    I dont understand the point you are trying to make? Generally if someone is taking the piss out of a serious thread they will normally be told quite rightly to shut the fuck up, I wasn't aware the depression thread worked any differently?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Because of the sensitivity of the issues involved.

Because that's the thread we turn to when we are feeling so low that we want to self harm or are feeling suicidal.

It's kind of different to P&D.

I guess we'll just have to disagree then, because you don't get what I'm saying.

There's other sensitive issues that are discussed fully and openly on here and without censorship and nannying. If you want a thread that noone can debate about then you can have a sticky announcement.

I just find it a bit odd.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    I dont understand the point you are trying to make? Generally if someone is taking the piss out of a serious thread they will normally be told quite rightly to shut the fuck up, I wasn't aware the depression thread worked any differently?
    :yes:

And 1983 wasn't just "taking the piss" was she?
  • Options
    JsT wrote:

No I didn't mean that I meant when say, you've got a serious problem that people post about, and then other people post who don't have a serious problem but are just on the boards to waste folk's time. I think there's a few people who have the depression equivilant of wasting folk's time.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    No I didn't mean that I meant when say, you've got a serious problem that people post about, and then other people post who don't have a serious problem but are just on the boards to waste folk's time. I think there's a few people who have the depression equivilant of wasting folk's time.
    I see your point, in someways I agree.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I guess we'll just have to disagree then, because you don't get what I'm saying.

There's other sensitive issues that are discussed fully and openly on here and without censorship and nannying. If you want a thread that noone can debate about then you can have a sticky announcement.

I just find it a bit odd.

Have you actually read the reasons that this thread was started by DJP in the first place? Or his “rules”?
    DJP wrote:
    As I'm sure you've been made aware by recent posts, the site has a variety of people, and opinions on here. We come from different places; from different backgrounds, and yet we share so much. In some ways, we further these ties by other online communities, LiveJournal, or MSN, for example.

It has been both interesting and saddening to meet people and to share in part of their lives. People who are talented, who are witty, and lovely company, people who are stunningly gorgeous, and who can do more things that I ever could; but who are not happy.

We all, at some stage, feel low. How many of us, for example, came here seeking support when we felt low, and stayed because we liked the place or the people?

Too many of the people I care about and count as friends are depressed, some of them to the extent of self harm. This is not something I know anything about, and I cannot help them.

So, what I would like to do is this. I would like to have this thread as a place where people can share experiences of self-harm, that they can talk to people who have been through it, and come out on the other side, and hopefully, advice can be given on how to help yourself, and what to say as a friend of someone who's self-harming.

Let me first establish a few ground rules. If they're broken, folks, I'll close and delete the thread before the mods get anywhere near it.
    1. This is a sharing thread. You cannot judge other people, not criticise what they've done; it's their life, folks.
    2. Please do not use this as an excuse for bitching at people.
    3. Equally, please let's try not to turn this in to a game of oneupmanship of depressive events, or whatever. We're sharing, not competing
    4. Finally, if anybody insults or puts people down on this thread, I swear to God I will come and make your life a living hell. Don't even think it, folks.

As a final note, I appreciate that this could equally be in health. However, I would like it to stay here for a while, and gather some replies and momentum before we move it in to another forum where it may prove slightly less useful to people.

We've had a tough time of late, both as a community, and as individuals, it would seem. Let's try and put a foot on the road to making what we can better.

DJP

Clearly 1983 was in breech of these “rules” and what was written completely changed the tone the thread from supportive and sharing to a bitchy personal attack.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Have you actually read the reasons that this thread was started by DJP in the first place? Or his “rules”?

Clearly, otherwise why would I be questioning the additional rules?
  • Options
    Speaking as someone who can see the argument from both sides as I have been very depressed in the past, I can understand where Becky and others are coming from. I do know that the thread is for support and have used it for that in the past, however, sometimes it is easy to post and just go "OMGZ I need hugz" and everyone go "awwww, ok, here are some *hugz*" and then go away until the next time. Sometimes people just do need to hear the truth that "hang on, are things *really* that bad" in order to get some perspective. At points it is what I needed and I am extremely grateful that I got that.

Yes, Becky's post was perhaps too directed at one person, but in essence I *do* agree with some of the sentiments raised.

Hunny, I love you, but I must disagree here. Maybe sometimes all people need is a hug. When they have such a problem or feel so down, maybe when they feel like they can't turn to anybody else, maybe their escape is the internet. Maybe all they need is just to rant a little bit. Maybe all they need is a *hug* Maybe it feels a bit better knowing somebody out there has enough time to take 5 seconds to make a post that says *hug*. Maybe thats enough.