Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bob Geldof Set to join the Tory Party

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
---

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BBC News wrote:
    He said he was delighted that Sir Bob - who would remain non-partisan - would bring his influence to the group.

For a start he isn't becoming a member of the Tory Party.

Its probably Cameron trying to look as young and hip as an old etonian can be though.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Renzo wrote:
    For a start he isn't becoming a member of the Tory Party.

Its probably Cameron trying to look as young and hip as an old etonian can be though.
    :lol:

This is david comeron, down with it in the streets yo. Or something. It seemed funnier in my head.

Yes, he isn't becoming a member it seems. Hmm. OH well, perhaps he'll set them back on track? Nah, that's nearly impossible. :p
    The tories are well back on track, and this (if it's true) can only be a bonus. The idea of a tory governement for the next term is no longer seeming impossible, and of course if the parliamentary system was fair, and england had their own parliament as Scotland and Wales do; they would be in power.
    Who needs bob geldoff, the torries are bouncing back with out celebrity help.
    and england had their own parliament as Scotland and Wales do; they would be in power.

We (Wales) have had a National Assembly since 1999 and those outside the principality still think it's a parliament - it's nothing of the sort.

They have about 10% of the abilities of Westminster (albeit their powers continue to increase) but Whitehall still controls us.
    I know it's not strictly speaking a parliament (and was set up just appease the nationalists; and also in many ways can be said to have destroyed plaid cymru) but that still does not alter the fact, that technically it's more than what we have, elected MP's in england do not alter decisions in this assembly, and the same applies for scotland, but welsh and scottish MPs can affect decisions made in England.

basically all i'm saying is that the Tory party more or less consitently gets the majority of the vote in England.
    I find it wierd that the Tories would care about Africa... Don't they support free trade?
    I find it wierd that the Tories would care about Africa... Don't they support free trade?

Free trade could help the 3rd world.
    It would mean that local farmers wouldn't get subsided by the EU and the like, and therefore make the African prices a lot more appealing for the customers.
    Free trade will not help the 3rd World. Free trade is whats damaging it.
    No lack of free trade its what's damaging it. If Europe and the US allowed Africa to trade fairly rather than dumping goods on them and then blocking them from selling their stuff Africa would be better off (though free trade is only part of the solution - many African states also need to look at their governance arrangements)
    Yes, trade fairly. Which is not the same thing as free trade.
    Would it help matters if we just pulled out of the EU entirely?

Not a suggestion, just a question.
    dr_carter wrote:
    Would it help matters if we just pulled out of the EU entirely?

Not a suggestion, just a question.

Help matters in what way?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It'd probably help fuck us up.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Help matters in what way?

I don't know, that's why i'm asking...
    What exactly is "fair trade"? I know trade is unfair at the moment but surely free trade is fair because its free from tariffs, subsidies and quotas?
    Sounds more like unfair trade in favour of the developing countries and even then paying over the market price for products only encourages people to produce more lowering the market price even more. How can they accutually say free trade doesnt work when its never been tried?