Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fancy Dress

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So this "fancy dress party" thing. I see alot of people here do it. I"m shocked. I not understand how the words fancy dress = costume. To me, fancy is like pretty and nice and extravagent things. A dress is a dress. Not a costume. And my god, with the exception of when I was 12ish and at Haloween have I ever even heard of people having costume parties. Especially at any ol time of the year.

So are these things really that popular there? Do you not feel kinda retarded in a costume?

Comments

• Options
    i love going to fancy dress partys, since most peoples costumes look stupid, and thats half the fun. having a laugh at other peoples cistumes, while they laugh at urs!!!
    ive done it in clubs and in student bars+find people come to talk to u more, as they actually have a subject to bring up straight away!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    12ish? My mum goes to costume parties in the "carnival-time" during February.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    12ish? .

Around the age of 12

Even when there was supposed to be a costume party on haloween, only about 25% of the people actually wore costumes.

I've just never heard of people doing it so often. Or at all, really. I'm always curious to learn.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I know what 12ish means. I said the part about my mum because she's 50ish and still does it.

I'd do it, if I was ever invited somewhere... :(
  • Options
    students do it alot! we dress up for halloween and when we go on bar crawls. at uni i've dressed up as a beach girl, a cowgirl, an army girl, a little devil, a fairy, a playboy bunny etc. its muchos fun. the main aim is to wear as little as possible and drink as much as possible.
  • Options
    i went out in my pyjamas the other night, and im 20
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    So this "fancy dress party" thing. I see alot of people here do it. I"m shocked. I not understand how the words fancy dress = costume. To me, fancy is like pretty and nice and extravagent things. A dress is a dress. Not a costume. And my god, with the exception of when I was 12ish and at Haloween have I ever even heard of people having costume parties. Especially at any ol time of the year.

So are these things really that popular there? Do you not feel kinda retarded in a costume?

*lick*
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    Do you not feel kinda retarded in a costume?

Not as retarded as the misrable cunts who go to a fancy dress party and don't dress up.

It funny. Our local pub does fancy dress nights at least 3 times a year. New Years Eve is the old vicars and tarts.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I love fancy dresI come from wigan and every year on boxing day everyone (and i mean literally 10's of thousands of people) goes out round town in fancy dress

i cant find an article with pictures but this was said in one mainly about the football http://www.wigantoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=66&ArticleID=1297061
    Then, thousands of revellers turned out on to the streets for a fun-filled night of merry-making. In fancy dress, of course.
    Several "ladies" were spotted out and about, as were Little Britain's other stars, Andy and Lou.
    Cops and robbers were a major theme of the night, with plenty of saucy PCs ready to clobber some escaped convicts.
    For one night only, ordinary men turned into superheroes and cartoon characters!
    And, with the later licensing hours, the frolics continued into the early hours

it really is the best night of the year.

im at uni and last term i was a mummy for haloween, a fairy, and a pirate for my birthday
  • Options
    I rarely dress up. It has happened when I have done plays, but never happened on times like halloween.
  • Options
    you need to see Wigan on boxing day, its the best night out of the year, everyone is in fancy dress! Im also going to a fancy dress party in January, Im going as a cheerleader, and ive got a real cheerleader outfit from america, and i cant wait! :hyper:
  • Options
    and ive got a real cheerleader outfit from america, and i cant wait! :hyper:

I'm sorry, that was the cutest thing I've read all day!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I'm sorry, that was the cutest thing I've read all day!

I have the biggest obsesion with all things american! when i was younger i wanted to work over there as a nanny!

My outfit aint one of them crappy fancy dress ones, its the real deal! :yes:
  • Options
    So where is the outfit from? Is it a highschool or a college? Now I'm all curiouis :p
  • Options
    Fancy dress nights out are by far the best! Being a student this usually occurs on a weekly basis. The best I've done is Lifeguards... very successful. Also done Nurses, Pyjamas, Binbags, Tesco plastic bags, Rugby Players, Pirates, Grannies and many many more! Loves it!

Making the costume is half the fun for def.. and then getting pissed enough so u dont care that you look like an arse is the other half of the fun!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    So where is the outfit from? Is it a highschool or a college? Now I'm all curiouis :p

Its a college one i think! Its eagles, dont know what college, its pale blue and white!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    We had a 'chav' night at our local on Christmas Eve, so I just went as myself. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I agree, it's just fun!
  • Options
    You should introduce your town to the delights and throw a fancy dress party yourself!
  • Options
    I see a pub near me is doing a "rocky horror fetish" night this evening.

Damn.
  • Options
    I went to a party last night which wasn't fancy dress but one guy came as Robin hood anyway...
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I went to a party last night which wasn't fancy dress but one guy came as Robin hood anyway...

See now that sounds amusing and worthwhile ;)