Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Police on the discussion boards...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
According the Radio 4, and other news sources, a UK Police commander has been using a bulletin board/discussion forum to discuss his opinions on drugs and policing.

The commander, using the login Barry - The Commander, has been posting on the www.urban75.com forums...

Regardless of whether you agree with his opinions, do you think this is a good move, or a mistake?

Comments

• Options
    I think it is a sound move, because it means he will get insight into how people feel about drugs, crime e.t.c. IT also helps the hippies over there find out about what the police are doing e.t.c.
    (i call em hippies cos the first post I read was about killing the Queen?)
  • Options
    This is a link to one of the threads
    http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=fe286274d9c2fe6986a61c62d387ef9e&threadid=362&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Personally I have respect for the guy. Being willing to have a discussion about a subject when you are in his position is a brave thing to do. He is going to be vilified in the nest few days - look out for the Police Federation Spokesman Glen Smythe (sp?), oily little shit suggested that Commander Paddick is 'tired' and obviously needs 'a rest'.

If only other would take such an approach. problem is they would probably find out how much they are out of touch...
  • Options
    I think it cannot be anything but a good thing...The more interactions between the police and normal people the better. Say what you will about the U75'rs they have some decent views on drugs and some very strong criticisms of the police. Im sure he will learn a lot there and be able to put it to good use.

Youre right about him being villified..Hes gonna be strung up.
  • Options
    Did any of you guys see the Sun today (20th)? They had a double page article which made the guy out to be a bit of a fool... and an anarchist!

Can't find the paper at the mo, otherwise i'd write down some of the stuff that was said. Maybe tomorrow...

[ 21-02-2002: Message edited by: Jonas ]
  • Options
    It was in the mail today..He said that anarchy has its good points and that its good in theory but people would fuck it up...I agree with him.

Seemed like a reasonable bloke to me.
  • Options
    The down side to "barry" going on discussion forums is that other police will be looking at the forums, initially just to see what barry is saying, but with so much anti everything on some sites it's going to attract the police attention.

Look at one thread on U75 at the moment people there are saying that harry roberts who shot and murdered 3 policemen in cold blood is a good guy !!!! that's really going to endear the police to U75.