Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

fluoxetine and valium

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone know if it's ok to mix these?

im am on fluoxetine and my uncle has given me two valium to take for a car journey as since i was in an accident i have been a very nervous passenger.

thanks, Kim x

Comments

• Options
    Firstly I've gotta say you shouldn't take other peoples meds although in the case your motives are clearly understandable. I can't find any particular reasons against mixing but you should really check with a professional :)
  • Options
    From http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a689006.html
    tell your doctor and pharmacist what other prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking. Be sure to mention any of the following: alprazolam (Xanax); anticoagulants ('blood thinners') such as warfarin (Coumadin); antidepressants (mood elevators) such as amitriptyline (Elavil), amoxapine (Asendin), clomipramine (Anafranil), desipramine (Norpramin), doxepin (Adapin, Sinequan), imipramine (Tofranil), nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor), protriptyline (Vivactil), and trimipramine (Surmontil); aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), and naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn); diazepam (Valium); digoxin (Lanoxin); flecainide (Tambocor); insulin or oral medications for diabetes; lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid); medications for anxiety and Parkinson's disease; medications for mental illness such as clozapine (Clozaril), haloperidol (Haldol), and pimozide (Orap); medications for seizures such as carbamazepine (Tegretol) and phenytoin (Dilantin); sedatives; sleeping pills; sumatriptan (Imitrex); tranquilizers; tryptophan; and vinblastine (Velban). Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.

However, I don't think taking two valium just to relax you on a journey will be too much bother. You'll be grand.
  • Options
    Them 2 shouldnt interact. A lot of people take an anti-depressant and diazapam(Valium).(Im a pharmacy dispenser)

Also the list turlough quoted there doesnt contain SSRI anti depressants.
  • Options
    I think you'll be okay but I'd check it out with someone proffesional first.

(Actually I'd do it anyway but I wouldn't like to think anyone came to any harm after taking advice of anyone on these boards!)
  • Options
    thanks guys. i know u really shouldnt take other peoples meds but it is just a one off for the journey :)
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Your best bet would be to call NHS Direct or your GP, it is the only way to know for sure.