Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

RMT skive, sorry, strike on NYE

And they're off again...

Despite assurances from TfL that no safety cuts or job losses will happen, the RMT take it on themselves to bring the capital to a grinding halt on NYE.

I'm sure the choice of date is purely random- skiving and spiteful in one fell swoop.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    At least they polled first I suppose.

I understand the need for maximum disruption because striking is about causing pain for your employers, but it's interesting that once again a union shows how much they care for their customers...
    I wondered how long it would take you to post this ;)

The choice of date does seem really unfair and i doubt they will do themselves any favours on one of the years biggest days for the undergrounds use.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Although this strike is nothing compared to the mainline railways, where every National Express franchise is collapsing. 'One', Central, Midland Mainline, all heading for strikes too...
    Not really surprising from the RMT, Britain's greediest union. Nice little tribute to London's laziest workers here.
    I wish at school they had told just how much tube drivers earn - because its sure beats what i'm on now and you don't even have to worry about going to uni and getting burdened with a student loan.

On the other hand you do always have to have the fear that someone might throw themselves in front of your train thus traumatising you for life.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    JsT wrote:
    Although this strike is nothing compared to the mainline railways, where every National Express franchise is collapsing. 'One', Central, Midland Mainline, all heading for strikes too...

Oh fuck, there goes our train service... bloody One.

This strike is just bastardish. The dates, and the pay... I mean, come off it, they have a good living. And although I wouldn't trust them when they say "no job cuts or saftey issues"... it's hardly like a strike will make them change their mind, is it?
    actually TfL have proven they're very reliable putting safety 1st (/sarcasm), in regards to the dealing with tube maintenence companies who do track work every 3 nights instead of every night, which resulted in the derailments on the central and northern line

RMT normally do tube strikes for good reasons, only ones i dont like are ones over pay cause they get paid loads
    RMT normally do tube strikes for good reasons, only ones i dont like are ones over pay cause they get paid loads

Oh yeah. Remember when the RMT called a strike ballot because London Underground dismissed five maintenance workers after finding over 100 emty beer cans in the mess room?

The only tube strikes you dislike are the ones over pay? Most tube strikes have been over pay and almost all the ones that were about 'safety' were really about pay.

The US transport union has been threatened with a $1m fine for each day of its strike in NYC. Don't know how that works but if we did the same with the RMT they might for the first time only strike with a good reason. As a key service anyway that's vital to London tube drivers should be banned from going on strike like the police and armed forces are.
    I thought it was going to be trains everywhere, then. Thank God for that.

Not sure what they're whinging about, they get oodles of money chucked at them.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    As a key service anyway that's vital to London tube drivers should be banned from going on strike like the police and armed forces are.
    :lol: You are an idiot.

So when their pay is cut to £1 an hour, they cant strike? When they are forced to work unsafley, they cant strike?

The right to strike is their right to have their rights in the workplace.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    So when their pay is cut to £1 an hour, they cant strike? When they are forced to work unsafley, they cant strike?

The right to strike is their right to have their rights in the workplace.

Or on the flip side make it so no rail service can strike. Northern/whoever else runs Metro services here are essential to people commuting into the middle of Leeds (or any city centre), unless they're on acid and drive.

Luckily they're not quite as strike prone as the tube drivers.
    Or on the flip side make it so no rail service can strike

What weird alternate universe do you live in?

If they all decide to not turn up one morning what the fuck are you gonna do, send the troops to fetch them?

Try to take away their "rights" to strike and they will just get worse, start to ignore the law totally etc.

Which is always a good thing, thinking about it.

Carry on.
    klintock wrote:
    What weird alternate universe do you live in?

If they all decide to not turn up one morning what the fuck are you gonna do, send the troops to fetch them?

Try to take away their "rights" to strike and they will just get worse, start to ignore the law totally etc.

Which is always a good thing, thinking about it.

Carry on.

Oh, I'm not being serious :p
    But if the tube is so essential, what about the rest of the rail services?

I'm whinging about London centricity, really. I must admit, I couldn't give two fucks if the tube people strike, if I want transport on NYE then it'll be a taxi or fuck all. Luckily I don't.
    They're striking over redundancy and safety. Given what Bob Kiley was earnign and what his severance package was, I think tfl can afford to keep a decent amount of staff. I support them. Anyone Kermit, why do you care? You're up north.
    Oh yeah. Remember when the RMT called a strike ballot because London Underground dismissed five maintenance workers after finding over 100 emty beer cans in the mess room?

The strike was because they dismissed the workers but had no evidence it was them. Don't believe everything you read in the papers.
    This strike is all about lies and about coercion, which is the RMT stock in trade. The RMT are the biggest liars on the planet, and yet again it is the ordinary people who suffer their greed.
    Kermit wrote:
    This strike is all about lies and about coercion, which is the RMT stock in trade. The RMT are the biggest liars on the planet, and yet again it is the ordinary people who suffer their greed.

Except of course that is all your opinion. The facts differ.
    Blagsta wrote:
    The strike was because they dismissed the workers but had no evidence it was them. Don't believe everything you read in the papers.

LU acted wrongly (and I believe lost an Industrial Tribunal), but I'm pretty sure that no-one disputes that workers had been illegally drinking on duty - even if LU didn't follow the correct procedures.
    No one disputes that - what was in dispute was how it was handled. Sacking people with no evidence that it was them is out of order and should be challenged.
    There can be no justification for the RMT now reneging on its agreement and trying to ruin New Year's Eve for thousands of Londoners

I think this statement is pretty fair. Yeah they have a right to strike and all but surely, surely they can do it on a different day rather than screw up loads of peoples big night out. As i said its not going to do them any favours with the public by crippling the capital on New Years Eve.
    Blagsta wrote:
    They're striking over redundancy and safety.

Having listened to Bob Crow last night (incidently a man I cannot stand based on what I have heard him say in the past) it's about safty. He didn't mention redundancy at all.

Apparently it's about the movement of staff and the RMT is "concerned" that this would mean that if something bad happens, or if a lift breaks, then those left will not be able to cope with getting people out. Naturally he mentioned the attacks on 7/7.

Whilst I can understand the thought process, it does strike me that he seems to want people employed for those "just in case" moment which happen very, very rarely.

Not good business...
    Still looks like its going to happen.

Shame some friends and I were thinking of going to London :(

I understand the strike but to do it on NYE is truely bastardly.
    ah i was speaking to my cousins hubby on boxing day, he's a station worker, and he explained to me why exactly they're striking - it's to do with removing a thing that makes big stations have a minumum amount of staffing to deal with people in the event of an emergency, from a safety report from the kings X fire or something

btw he agrees with the strike, but not the date - however he voted for the strike because as it's a yes/no answer it'd be assumed they dont want to strike for that reason, when most of the tube workers do, even if many don't like the date set
    The RMT's vile lies about Northern Trains illustrates what an odious man Crow is, and what an odious organisation the RMT is.

The RMT very nearly went on strike up here because of "privatisation cuts" to train services- not mentioning that a) the train isn't cut, it's just a different type of train and b) the Government ordered the change from train to tube anyway. The organisation is a disgrace to humanity.

Still, I hope the staff enjoy their NYE off.
    What an odd argument there Kermit. There were no cuts, but the government ordered them. You've lost me.
    Governments don't just order cuts Blagsta.

Read it again.

Read it again.

I see Kermit has edited it. What he originally said was that there were no cuts, but anyway the government ordered them. Didn't you Kermy?
    Kermit wrote:
    Still, I hope the staff enjoy their NYE off.

yup im sure my cousin will :p

Read it again.

They do sometimes order train cuts- the SRA ordered GNER and First to cut late-night trains to Newcastle.

In this instance, they ordered the train to be replaced by a tube- it is a "cut" of the heavy rail service, but no cut in service. So the RMT attacked Northern for "cutting" the service to Sunderland, neglecting to mention who ordered the train to be replaced, and neglecting to mention the tube is more useful anyway.

Scum that they are. It was a happy day for me when Knapp died.
    I'd like to see their statements on that Kermit.