Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Citizens arrest

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just thinking about this and curiousity got the better of me so i thought i'd ask you lot.

Have any of you ever made a citizens arrest?

What do you actually say to someone when you are about to make a citizens arrest?

I was told a long time ago by a police officer but cant quite remember exactly what she said.

:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No I haven't and i'd like to see that around here, some people would just laugh in your face.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    What, you can arrest someone as a citizen? With what excuse? And what's to stop them from turning around and running, or throwing something at you, since you don't have a gun or handcuffs? :confused:
    Exactly.

If their committing a crime your meant to be allowed to perform a citizen's arrest.
    you mean the an alternative to chasing the burgerlers out of your house with baseball bats!?

citzens arrests are over rated, less self satisfaction
    It wouldn't be my gut instinct to citizen arrest someone if i caught them breaking into my house, smash the fuckers face in.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    And what do you say? "Stop, you're under arrest?"
    Then he shoots you or jumps out of the window.
    Shogun wrote:
    It wouldn't be my gut instinct to citizen arrest someone if i caught them breaking into my house, smash the fuckers face in.

exactly.

I wouldnt mind making a citizens arrest for indecent exposure, if a good looking girl happen to be committing that crime :p
    It's such a stupid concept. I mean maybe if there is a whole group of witnesses to the crime and are all gonna stop and pin down the person. I'm sorry but if I saw someone commiting a crime I wouldn't be all like "stop!citizens arrest" without fear of them killing me. Especially in society today.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Shogun wrote:
    No I haven't and i'd like to see that around here, some people would just laugh in your face.

Exactly.
    Weekender Offender 
    The concept is basically for situations where the person doesn't pose an immediate threat to you i believe, for instance if someone broke into somewhere and got stuck climbing out of the window. But then they'd probably sue you for having a window too small to climb out of. And they'd probably win as well.

Oh and Skive - Streets lyrics from blinded by the lights?
    I thought that we (as citizens) weren't allowed to do them anymore...

Not that i would like, though i guess (as said) it applies sort of maybe if a group of people caught and pinned down a thief....i guess that technically is.
    its statute law that anyone attempting to make off from a petrol station, or fuel dispensing premesis without paying, can be arrested by anyone who notices the crime taking place

as it is also two seperate crimes, to draw fuel without the means to pay, and making off without paying

tis all true, is on a notice board in my local garage, proper mint, gonna sit around and wait there until i get my chance to pounce
    "Wait! I'm performing a citizens arrest on you!"

*Smack in the face*
    Doofay wrote:
    Oh and Skive - Streets lyrics from blinded by the lights?

:yes:
    Weekender Offender 
    Zalbor wrote:
    What, you can arrest someone as a citizen? With what excuse?

Only in certain circumstances. You have to be very careful that it's a lawful arrest because someone arrested unlawfully is entitled to sue for damages and to use reasonable force to resist. It's more usually applied to security guards etc. although in theory anyone has the right to make a citizens arrest.
    Skive wrote:
    :yes:

Seen the music video? Absolute quality :thumb:

Love the streets. Original pirate material was a lot better than a grand don't come for free tho imo.
    Doofay wrote:
    Seen the music video? Absolute quality :thumb:

Love the streets. Original pirate material was a lot better than a grand don't come for free tho imo.

The video is quality. Blinded by the Lights is an amazing track, he gets the pilled up nightclub experience spot on with both the lyrics and the music as he come up. :thumb:
    The two albums may be quite different but I like them equally.
    Weekender Offender 
    I know, when you listen to that song you can't help but think he's done it all before himself.
    My dad has before. Some guy was robbing the chemist and my dad just kinda linked arms with him and didnt let go till the police got there. But then apprently the robber man was rather small and my dad is 6ft7
    Skive wrote:
    The video is quality. Blinded by the Lights is an amazing track, he gets the pilled up nightclub experience spot on with both the lyrics and the music as he come up. :thumb:
    The two albums may be quite different but I like them equally.

Yeh I know, the line "lights are blinding my eyes, people pushing by and walking off into the night" has a different meaning everytime he uses it in the song. From being anxious and nervy to not giving a fuck :D