Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cameron to Scrap "racist" Tory Immigration Policy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
---

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    good man
    Please welcome our next Prime Minister : David Cameron.
    Please welcome our next Prime Minister : David Cameron.
    do you think a swing to the left like this is a good political move?

When you've been so far right for a while, a swing to the left just brings you closer to the centre ground.

This is quite amusing really. Cameron is not so "liberal" as to appeal to Lib Dem voters.

Its not a swing to the Left though, he is socially liberal, not not economically, so the Left/Right thing doesnt work here.
    David Cameron's only been in the job for less than two weeks, and already, he's hellbent on destroying everything the Conservative Party once stood for. This "rethink" is nothing more than an attempt to make the Tory Party look nice and cuddly to the voters. It is almost as if he is marketing the Tories like they were a teddy bear. Seriously, I don't know what the hell he's up to.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    David Cameron's only been in the job for less than two weeks, and already, he's hellbent on destroying everything the Conservative Party once stood for. This "rethink" is nothing more than an attempt to make the Tory Party look nice and cuddly to the voters. It is almost as if he is marketing the Tories like they were a teddy bear. Seriously, I don't know what the hell he's up to.

Learning from the Blair example of course.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Learning from the Blair example of course.
    Does the Conservative Party have an equivalent of a Clause Four, in Cameron's eyes? Even now, after eight years of "New" Labour government, I still don't know what they stand for. Please, don't give us two political parties that stand for nothing. :(
    New Labour is supposed to be Third Way, but really its a vehicle for Blair.
    bongbudda wrote:
    New Labour is supposed to be Third Way, but really its a vehicle for Blair.
    The Blair Way?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Seriously, I don't know what the hell he's up to.

He's trying to get the general public to see his party as a viable Govt. At the moment Labour are getting a terrible press and yet they have been riding high in the polls because people couldn't see anything else to vote for.

The same thing was happening in the 90s and even though the Major Govt was crap, people wouldn't vote Kinnock. So Smith and then Blair had to change the Labour Party image fundamentally.

It worked.

Blair-lite is trying to do the same with the Tories now. We'll see if it works.
    stargalaxy wrote:

What he's up to is an attempt to win an elections. Its alright being idelogically pure, but as the Labour Party found in the 80s and 90s it doesn't win you votes. Political parties exist to be in power and shape policy, not to be a pressure group.
    Some Tories are undoubtedly better than others, but generally speaking a Tory is still a Tory.

Cameron might be far more moderate and agreeable than most of his colleagues, but people should carefully ask themselves, for instance, what the consequences of a Conservative government, Cameron or no Cameron in power, would be for the National Health Service; or for State education; or for welfare and pensions.

In my opinion, they would get worse.
    Aladdin wrote:
    In my opinion, they would get worse.

And in mine they'd improve :D
    And that's exactly why some people vote for one party and some for other ;)

Though of course there are always quite a few floating voters prepared to vote for any mainstream party so long as they agree with their current policies the best.
    ---
    don't fall for it!
    he's a slimy snake oil salesman ...he is an admission of tory failure and guilt.

the CONsevative party.
    I like him. I voted Tory at the last election, and i shall vote Tory again. The immigration line did sort of work for them at the last election (well certainly around here), but i think this is the right thing for the party to do. And though immigration isn't really high on my priorities, i do think the tories in general, will be a much more efficient government in this (and many other) areas. The new line will no doubt do them favours.

It's interesting that some people do not know entirely what they stand for. They laid down the five basic plans for the last election, and though these were obviously cut down slogans to grab votes, i'm surprised they are not remembered. Obviously they didn't get their message across very well.
    ---
    No need to be a cunt.

If you and your type knew anything about conservative policies the past 200 years, you'd know that those who "actually were conservatives" know there are FAR more important issues to worry about, and always have been, if the party really wants to get itself out of the quagmire to which it has descended, it is idiots like you who hold us back. If immigration is your main concern; vote BNP, and don't try and say you're not a racist by calling yourself a real conservative.

Immigration isn't destroying our (my) culture! My culture is all around me. Sure i could walk through Bradford or Birmingham or somewhere similiar and think otherwise, or i could really enjoy my culture, i could go to Northumberland and visit some of the most amazing castles created by my ancestors. I could read shakespeare, i could read blake, i could read donne or marvell, or milton, or keynes or wordsworth. I constantly revere in what this country has done and will continue to do, so i suggest you keep your off the cuff comments to yourself.

I would also hope you're not suggesting that immigration is going to destroy our democratic system. It's democracy that fuels immigration, so you are in some sort of sick paradox if you really believe this.
    Well if you and your type actually were Conservatives then immigration would be high on your priorities. Unlimited, uncontrolled mass immigration on a sick and terrible scale is destroying the British culture that took so long to democratically install.
    What planet do you live on?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    David Cameron's only been in the job for less than two weeks, and already, he's hellbent on destroying everything the Conservative Party once stood for.

To be honest the only thing I've ever seen the conservatives stand for is to get back into power and object to everything labour say .. And I dare say if the shoe was onthe other foot labour would be just the same..
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    To be honest the only thing I've ever seen the conservatives stand for is to get back into power and object to everything labour say .. And I dare say if the shoe was onthe other foot labour would be just the same..

Quite.

Tony stopped the "old" Labour party in an attempt to bring them back...
    David is merley copying this, with the Conservatives...

Either way, we'll get hte same shit, new face.

It's time, people, for a new, real party to enter the scene, that actually stands for SOMETHING. As opposed to spouting nothing-crap all the time.