Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Library book overdue fine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How long does a library wait before cancelling a fine for an overdue book or books?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    i don't think they do? i can't graduate if i haven't paid off my library fines.
  • Options
    not sure but i know a guy from college who still has a couple of books from library 9 years ago.
  • Options
    I have a book from my local library which is over a year overdue, and a book in college which is 3 weeks but they charge 75p a day for everyday overdue, it all adds up!
  • Options
    Is that public librarys as well then? I wasnt specific in my original message
  • Options
    Call.
    Ask.
  • Options
    i had a book out from a public library, i had it overdue for months and i kept putting off taking it back in the end because i couldnt afford to pay a fine. when i did take it back the fine was alot less than i thought it was going to be, like £4 or something, 75p a day seems an awful lot! i dont think public library fines are very much.
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:
    Is that public librarys as well then? I wasnt specific in my original message

No just college I think, if it is public one's aswell I'm screwed.
  • Options
    Sugar wrote:
    75p a day seems an awful lot! i dont think public library fines are very much.

No it's at my uni, for really important popular books it's 50p an hour. :shocking:
  • Options
    I've got a library book that i got out wen i was about 5...i'm now 23! Heaven knows what the fine would be on it by now!...luckily the library shut down about 15 years ago so i no longer have to worry!...what a thief :shocking:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    No it's at my uni, for really important popular books it's 50p an hour. :shocking:
    Same at my uni.... that's £12 a day!
  • Options
    Hmm, i have two WELL overdue books. no money to pay the fine at the moment though, so they shall have to wait.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Dear God! How can you keep a book checked out for months? :eek:
  • Options
    I manage to hand my books before they are overdue. It has happened several times though that I forget I have them.
  • Options
    I don't rent books, but I do rent movies. And the most I've forgotten about them is 4 days. and when I realise I take them back right away.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Dear God! How can you keep a book checked out for months? :eek:
    You only pay if they are overdue, not for the time they are actually on loan.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    You only pay if they are overdue, not for the time they are actually on loan.
    I know. And?
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    I know. And?
    Why were you asking how anyone could keep a book out for months :confused:
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Why were you asking how anyone could keep a book out for months :confused:
    I meant, morally. :D
  • Options
    I think the most the public library has charged me is about £3.75, and I had that for ages. Uni library is a different story, 35p per day for normal loan books, 50p for 30 minutes of short loan. Annoyingly, most of the books I need are in short loan :grump:
  • Options
    i moved off to uni and forgot about 4 books i had taken out from the public library. Last i heard i owed them £15.
  • Options
    I find it disrespectful to keep books out for as long as some people here claim to do, especially uni books.
    The most I've paid in fines is 4 pounds for bringing the books in 3 hours late - didn't realise they had to be in at quarter past 11, opposed to the regular 23:59.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    I find it disrespectful to keep books out for as long as some people here claim to do
    Exactly what I was saying!
  • Options
    I fucking hate it when people don't return library books.

Kinda negates the whole point of a LIBRARY.
  • Options
    To be fair, most of the books i read haven't been checked out in 10 or 12 years.
  • Options
    my friend made me take back her dvds to block buster the other day, 2 dvds both a day late, she ended up having to pay around double in fines, than what she had origionally paid to rent them, for one day

she gave me a load of change and i thought it couldnt be that much, but it was
  • Options
    Smash wrote:
    I fucking hate it when people don't return library books.

Kinda negates the whole point of a LIBRARY.
    At my uni you can "recall" a book on loan.

I use books over a period of several months and will keep it out until its recalled. Why shouldn't I?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    At my uni you can "recall" a book on loan.

I use books over a period of several months and will keep it out until its recalled. Why shouldn't I?
    That's perfectly legitimate, as you just renew the book.
    But keeping it to the point where it's just missing from the library, and keeping others from finding material for their work, that is just plain rude if you ask me.
  • Options
    Fines are the only way to keep people in check otherwise they'd never return the books

But I hate the DVD lending system at my gym, it's free for a Movie DVD for 1 day but £1 a day thereafter!!

Which is all well and good except most gyms would tell you to work out one day and rest the next day, so why make a special trip to return a DVD so quickly!!