Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

uni offer

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I got a firm offer for a buisness degree this morning! w00t!! Thing is I was planning to take a year out to do an NVQ in care management first but this degree starts in september. I've not been offered an interveiw and was wondering what to do now.

I've never studied buisness before which is why i was going to do the NVQ but it seems like I dont need it to do the degree. Will I be thrown in the deep end or will it take me over the basics?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    No, on my degree at least, past experience is certainly not mandatory, and they take you over every thing you need to know. All it may mean is that you might have to work slightly harder in your first year than those with previous experience.

Where have you applied? And well done :D
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In my experience its relatively easy to pick up, just make sure you know roughly how companies work, have a little basis in law and you'll be fine.

There is bound to be people thicker than you on your course.
  • Options
    Email the department and ask them for a reading list.
  • Options
    The first year of a degree is used to ensure everyone has at least the same basic level of understanding. Speaking from personal experience at Staffordshire university, the first year would have given those with little experience in the subject a decent understanding of it.

However, it bored the pants off me. I'd already worked for 6 years in the industry, learnt nothing(or at most, very, very little) during my first year, and I now hate computers with a vengeance ;).
  • Options
    Well done!!!

I'd wait and see if you get any better offers before accepting it straight away.

x
  • Options
    Its for greenwich uni in london. I was so suprised to get this offer because we were told we wouldnt hear anything till june. I've applyed for 5 others as well so will wait till I hear from my first choice till I start calling places up.
  • Options
    Ohh well when i was at school greenwhich didn't have that good a reputation but I think its got better now they have a lovely campus - right next door to where I got married and round the corner from where I live.
  • Options
    many people won't have studied what they go on to study at uni before. i hadn't, so you'll be fine with regards to that. but if you want to do the nvq thingy, then do it. chances are the place will still be there for you next year.
  • Options
    :yes: they will take you through the basics i'm sure.
    but your experience with the NVQ could be invaluable post-uni.
  • Options
    Zella wrote:
    Its for greenwich uni in london. I was so suprised to get this offer because we were told we wouldnt hear anything till june. I've applyed for 5 others as well so will wait till I hear from my first choice till I start calling places up.

some places are quite good when it comes to admin, some places just suck

though as soon as you get something good or bad happen to you at uni involving admin that screws you over or benefits you, then personally your mind is made up about them in advance