Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

To A&E or stick it out?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I had me a little accident on Christmas night, I hit a bit of black ice in the car and hit a kerb square on at about 10-15mph. I hit my head on the a-pillar (think that's what it's called, the bit between the windscreen and the door), and on the drive home I developed a headache and then when I woke up on boxing day, my headache was still there and my neck was also now sore.

My headache is still here although it's not as sore as it was, it's a bit sore to touch the front of my head and the right side of my neck is also sore. I phoned my doctor today and the soonest appointment I can get is January 6th, woop.

So, my question is this, do you think I warrant a trip to A&E? Or do I just keep taking the paracetamol?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yep have to agree, you cant take chances with a head injury. whats the worst that could happen, they tell you its nothing and you go home.

good luck xx
    I would suggest that you go and get it sorted. Even if there's nothing there at least you would get free meds.
    Forgot to say, I phoned NHS 24 yesterday and they told me to take paracetamol and make an appointment for my doctor.

I just dont want to be a pest by going to A&E and then get told off :/
    You wouldn't get told off for going to A&E.

Sounds like Whiplash to me, but it's a head injury so it's worth getting it sorted. Could cost you a few quid though because it's an RTA and they can charge you for that. You might get a bill after a few weeks... about £17 if memory serves me right...
    You might get a bill after a few weeks... about £17 if memory serves me right...
    Really? What's the reason for that, just curious?
    Sounds like Whiplash to me, but it's a head injury so it's worth getting it sorted. Could cost you a few quid though because it's an RTA and they can charge you for that. You might get a bill after a few weeks... about £17 if memory serves me right...
    Really?
    I didn't get charged for whiplash treatment at A&E.
    What else can they charge you for?
    What does RTA stand for?
    Zella wrote:
    What does RTA stand for?

Road Traffic Accident.

And I have also heard of hospitals charging. A guy I went to school with skidded off the road on his motorbike and landed in a field and broke both his legs. He phoned 999 on his mobile and requested an ambulance. He was then given a bill a few weeks later for the "taxi ride".
    Road Traffic Accident.

And I have also heard of hospitals charging. A guy I went to school with skidded off the road on his motorbike and landed in a field and broke both his legs. He phoned 999 on his mobile and requested an ambulance. He was then given a bill a few weeks later for the "taxi ride".
    What a piece of pish.

What was he meant to do, army style maneouvers with his elbows to get to A&E? I bet junkies who OD dont get a friggin bill for their "taxi ride".
    did you go shaz? how are you feeling now?
    Sugar wrote:
    did you go shaz? how are you feeling now?
    Not yet no, the fella is still in bed (he's working nightshift just now) so Im waiting for him to get up. It's not that bad today, my neck isnt as sore anymore anyway.

Thanks for asking :)
    Our docs is open today, maybe yours is?
    Tweety wrote:
    Our docs is open today, maybe yours is?
    It is yeah, I cant get an appointment til Jan 6th though.
    It is yeah, I cant get an appointment til Jan 6th though.

Just tell them is a head injury, they will find one for you, if not they are crap and go to a&e.
    You're paying for this shitty health service anyway so you might as well use it! Go to A+E!
    a+e anytime to do with head injuries
    He was then given a bill a few weeks later for the "taxi ride".

Nah, it's not the Ambulance Service which charges, it's the hospital.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1974 (I think), they can charge for treatment as a result of a road accident. As a motorcyclist that includes him.

It's about all that they can charge for and you will get treated first - free at the point of delivery. Most hospitals don't bother because it costs more than the fee to collect it all and so many people just don't pay, the cost of collection is just too high.
    Tweety wrote:
    Just tell them is a head injury, they will find one for you, if not they are crap and go to a&e.

TBH they'll probably want to X-ray and so you might as well go straight to A&E...
    TBH they'll probably want to X-ray and so you might as well go straight to A&E...

Yeh thought that after i posted it.