Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Primark

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Primark is great, loads of cheap shit in there. Not designer label like but who cares.
    Primark is called Pennys or something in Ireland.

Nah that's just the nickname, did your newry mate say that to you?
    why is it silly? just because i don't like shopping in a certain shop?
    no because you said 'im a snob and i wouldn't shop somewhere like primark'.
    as if it's below you or something. why would i want to pay £25 for a pair of shorts when i can get them for a fiver in primark? and don't say because it would be better quality, because it's not. they have satin and cotton ones exactly the same as you'd find in topshop or oasis.
    it's not all brilliant, but you shouldn't just dismiss it.
    but i've been in and the things i saw were nothing special. they're cheap, yes...but also the things i saw looked it. but, like i said...some of my friends have some alright things from there.
    but i've been in and the things i saw were nothing special. they're cheap, yes...but also the things i saw looked it. but, like i said...some of my friends have some alright things from there.
    ok :)
    Primark sounds much like a Wal-Mart or Target here. Wal-Mart is the cheapest one. I don't buy clothes there, as others have said, I've never found anything of appeal. I do however buy lots of other stuff. Socks, hair ties, and all my household products. (Well, I guess I don't know if Primark sells all the household products too)
    I also buy most all my make up there. I wear all the store brands like Covergirl and Revelon and they sell them there cheap.
    i've only really been in a huge primark and it was a bit messy so i think that put me off. but then it's the same in tkmaxx but doesn't put me off there!
    my_name wrote:
    Primark sounds much like a Wal-Mart or Target here. Wal-Mart is the cheapest one. I don't buy clothes there, as others have said, I've never found anything of appeal. I do however buy lots of other stuff. Socks, hair ties, and all my household products. (Well, I guess I don't know if Primark sells all the household products too)
    I also buy most all my make up there. I wear all the store brands like Covergirl and Revelon and they sell them there cheap.

Primark isn't lik Walmart, I've been to the walmarts inthe USA and Canada, walmart is a whole different kinda shop, our closest stores to Walmart are Tesco and Asda (who are owned by Walmart)

But neither come close to stocking as much non food stuff as a walmart.

Primark is probabaly more like Target.
    I'm working in Primark at the moment as a xmas temp. I'm on a better wage there than what I get in the nightclub I'm still at plus, I was told, if they offer me a permanant position aftr me xmas contract is up. I'll be getting a pay rise. It's easy work, so long as you don't mind the never ending queues right up till closing time. Apart from my bad luck in having a crappy supervisor, they do treat their staff well.

I personally really like Primarks stuff. They basically keep up to date with what other stores have, like top shop, river island, etc, only selling them a whole lot cheaper and the quality is still pretty good. I love getting all me accessories out of there as well. They're fab.
    My friend works in Primark in Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow and she gets the same as me (£3.75/h) and i would never want to work there because as much as I say "It's been a busy day" every time I walk past Primark it's absolutely mobbed. She says they treat the staff quite well but they have to share lockers :| She's also knackered all the time because it gets so messy and she has to run around sorting stuff.
    you get £3.75ph?!
    Primark is ok for accessories and homeware stuff but I'm not keen on the clothes.
    Everything I've bought from Primark has fallen apart by the second wash, with the exception of underwear (which is pretty good, especially for the price). I buy tights there too sometimes, since they're a lot more expensive elsewhere.

I was aware of their non-existent ethics, but as people have said, you can't really expect anything better when you could buy a whole new wardrobe of clothes for 50 quid. I have a friend who works in the Newcastle branch and she says it's an thankless task; folding clothes that people sling around, getting shouted at about sizes, evil supervisor. It's obviously not bad enough for her to leave, though...

All in all, I much prefer shopping in the sales and getting something that was originally expensive and is now a real bargain. I have to wonder what a Primark sale is like...
    Primark itself is an ok shop but to work for them well they do treat you like shit. The pay is rubbish, and even worse for under18's. When I worked there I was at one point working monday to sunday allday everyday and only getting £3.18 an hour. Kinda sucked.
    Primark is great for basic items like vest tops and tees.
    I've bought some great things from Primark and they've lasted a good while.
    Its alright in there. Most of the staff in the birmingham store are asian too. I think they do some nice stuff though, esp things for work coz I dont see the point in spending loads on work clothes really.
    Can't believe the wage you guys use to be on. Well here in Belfast, I'm on 5.64 an hour and after the new year, if I choose to go permanant, my wage will be going upt to about 6 pound odds.

Primark store must be really different over there.
    I went to Primani today :D

Got a fit stripey blue/grey jumper for a tenner, some fit beads for £1.50, 60 denier tights for £1.50, and 6 pairs of socks for £2.

Can't go wrong!
    I adore primark, when you dont have much money to spend but want it to go a long way on a few essentials primark does the buisness. And everytime I shop there once im at the checkout almost always will i find one or two things are cheaper than I thought they were. Their stuff lasts as well as long as you treat it good.
    Not really to do with Primark, I know.. but I went in River Island yesterday and the prices they charge astound me! I saw a silver bag with a diddy charm on it for £30, that was a complete replica of a pink one I bought recently at this markety-mall thing for £4. And a furry body-warmer for £40 that was exactly the same as the one I'd bought an hour before in Peacocks for £12. I know that cheaper stores pay less, etc, but would this really create a £22-£26 price gap?!
    What sizes are offered in peacocks?
    madraykin wrote:
    What sizes are offered in peacocks?

Not sure.... 10 to maybe 18-20. I couldn't see any 8s :(
    I've seen 8s in Peacocks but I'd say it's mainly 10-24 I think.
    There was a Money Programme documentary on BBC2 a few weeks back on Primark. I found it amazing that they have managed to get to the position that they have despite having no advertising campaign, which means they save a shedload of money. They have also been accused of ripping off others designs, yet Monsoon are the most notable company to have brought legal action against them.
    you get £3.75ph?!
    Yep :(
    find a better job! i get more than £2 extra an hour than you. you're being exploited. :p
    Tell me about it, but I have little experience and my qualifications are a bit lacking since I've only got 2 B's at Higher (I'm hoping to achieve 3 more by the time I finish school)
    i've been at tesco since i left school with 5 a-b GCSEs! you don't need to be hugely qualified to work in a shop of some sort. i started off with a fairly shitty wage but it went up as i turned 18 and when i'd been there a year. i also get time and a half on a sunday (some lucky beggars get double time!). you've got experience now so start looking for another job! £2 an hour over say a 6 hour shift would equate to an extra £12 in your pocket.