Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Playing mp3 players through car stereo?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone here do this? if so what equipment do you use?

what i want is to be able to send the output signal from my mp3 player (typical headphones jack) into the car radio. i currently use a cable (unsure of the actual name of it) that goes from headphones male jack and splits into 2 jacks, red + white for left + white, and i'm wondering if i'd be able to use the same cable for the car radio?

any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If your car has a tape player, there's a device that looks like a tape with a cable. You connect the cable to your MP3 player's output and put the tape in, so the car thinks it's a tape but it just transfers the output from whatever you've connected to the cable.
  • Options
    oh yeh, it might have been a good idea to mention theres no tape player, just cd.

sorry!! lol
  • Options
    Is your HU a standard item or an after market one? What make/model?

You'll probably need a cable that goes from a earphone jack to an AUX plug:)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Does the radio have any kind of input sockets? I haven't seen one that does, but maybe there are. If it does, find out what kind of cable goes there and use it.
    Otherwise, you say you have a radio. It might be possible to find a small transmitter to use with your mp3p, and tune the radio to its frequency.
  • Options
    If your head unit has RCA type input plugs at the back of it, then this will be the best way to get the signal from your MP3 player into your stereo. If it doesn't, and if you can't be bothered with faffing with wires, you'll need to investigate and invest in an FM transmitter, and tune it to a radio channel.