Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Art

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm starting college next year and I'm really interested in taking Art. There are 5 different types I can take; Graphic Design, 3-D Studies, Fine Art, Textiles and unendorsed.

Could anyone give me any information about any of the areas which may help me decide which art course to take?

Thanks!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It can all depend on which area your interested in, or more important passionate about. I think being passionate about whatever area of design you study will help your work and commitment to it. Most the time with design you have to take a deep, thoughtful insight in what you are producing so a real interesest in whatever area you choose can help you and your work. I chose to study grahics so can't tell you too much about the others, (dont know what unendorsed is). When I was at college we studied graphic design, fine art, 3D and fashion for a few weeks each before choosing a specific area to study.
    I'm studying Art GCSE and I love it, but I'm not sure which particular area would suit me at A-Level. I like the sound of Fine Art or Graphic Design. I do Graphic Products GCSE but that is part of Design Tech. So it will obviously be different if it is an Art course. So basically I just need information on what sort of things Fine Art and Graphic Design involve...
    well ive got a pack here about a school near me and what a levels they offer (just about every one) and assuming most schools do edexcel it says here

fine art

unit 1 - thematic enquiry
    unit 2 - expressive study
    unit 3 - externally set assignment
    unit 4 - contextual study (think this has to be a presentation of some sort)
    unit 5 - problem solving
    unit 6 - independant study - 12 hours of unaided work

and you get assessed at the end of each year and they'll probably want a gcse art aswell but that depends on the place

i could go into more detail but i'd be here all day, not sure about graphic design though
    Does it say what kind of art you do.. for example.. drawing, canvases,etc?
    my best mate did textiles. She absolutely loved it. She did about anything that involved fabric! In her book she had to base it on themes. One was chinese, one was earth, one was metal, and some others. It was basically trying to get the fabric to mirror a certain topic and manipulating the material. I thought it all looked great.

To be honest, if the college you are thinking about going to is halfway decent, they will have a decent prospectus which tells you exactly what you want, or you can ring up and ask for a chat with an arts lecturer and they can help you.
    Well theres an open day soon so I might be able to get hold of one then.
    __tink wrote:
    Does it say what kind of art you do.. for example.. drawing, canvases,etc?
    no, i would have thought a bit of everything maybe?
    __tink wrote:
    Graphic Design, 3-D Studies, Fine Art, Textiles and unendorsed.

unless times have changed:

graphic design = technical drawings/illustration. possibly using stuff like a drawing board and automatic pencils or computer graphics/illustrator programs.

3D studies = sculpture. using any kinds of materials, usually.

fine art = painting, drawing and stuff like printing/etching

textiles = anything and everything to do with fabric and textlie manipulation.

unendorsed = i did this back in the day and it meant you could do a little bit of everything, and weren't confined to any of the other specific areas.
    i did fine art for a level and i loved it!! :)
    all the people that i talked to who were doing graphic art said they wished they did fine art instead because apparently graphic art is a lot harder
    I want to do unendorsed seeing as it involves a variety of things but I don't actually understand what it involves specifically
    i did fine art at college, im doin it now at uni, i would go for that one, its a bit of everything and if you find u do lean to more to one area, its a wide enough subject to do that. I'm more of a sculpture person so alot of my projects are sculpture based, but then there are alot of people who are more into paintin, so they could do the same project but do that x
    thank you :)
    I'm doing an art foundation degree...
    my advice to you if you know what your going to do for uni is dont do A level art/photography do the HND courses i think there called and i dont think you have to do a foundation degree, just thought i tell you so you dont have to waste another year

however i'm doing a foundation course because 1. I wasnt sure what I want to do 2. I dont have enough UCAS points
    I originally started doing Fine Art at college but dropped out in favour of Graphic Design the following year.

When I graduate I want to focus on the Illustrative part of Graphic Design but still keep my other fields open because it's a competitive market out there. Fine Art is enjoyable to do but I don't think the job aspects are as great.
    Bitty wrote:
    I'm doing an art foundation degree...
    my advice to you if you know what your going to do for uni is dont do A level art/photography do the HND courses i think there called and i dont think you have to do a foundation degree, just thought i tell you so you dont have to waste another year

however i'm doing a foundation course because 1. I wasnt sure what I want to do 2. I dont have enough UCAS points

you dont have to do a foundation year to the the BA(hons) anyway, i didint
    did you do A levels or a dimploma in art?
    diploma, but there are also people on my course who have come straight from a-level