Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Boxing Day

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
why is boxing day called boxing day? does anyone actually know?

(and yes, im watching coronation street ;) )

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Either...

Centuries ago, merchants would present their servants food and fruits as a form of Yuletide tip. Naturally, the gifts of food and fruit were packed in boxes, hence the name "Boxing Day".

Or....

In feudal times, Christmas was a reason for a gathering of extended families. All the serfs would gather their families in the manor of their lord, which makes it easier for the lord of the estate to hand out annual stipends to the serfs. After all the Christmas parties on December 25th,the lord of the estate would give practical goods such as cloth, grains, and tools to the serfs who lived on his land, and one family would get a box full of such goods the day after Christmas. Under this explanation, there was nothing voluntary about this transaction; the lord of the manor was obligated to supply these goods. Because of the boxes being given out, hence the day was called Boxing Day.

Or....

In Britain many years ago, it was common practice for the servants to carry boxes to their employers when they arrive for their day's work on the day after Christmas (26th December). Their employers would then put coins in the boxes as special end-of-year gifts. This can be compared with the modern day concept of Christmas bonuses. Because the servants carried boxes for the coins, hence the name Boxing Day.

Or Even....

In churches, it was tradition to open the church's donation box on Christmas day, and the money in the donation box were to be distributed to the poorer or lower class citizens on the next day. In this case, the "box" in "Boxing Day" comes from that one gigantic lockbox the donations were left in.

No-one knows! :(
    The one I was told was that servants and merchants were given gifts or money by the families/people who employed them, on the day after Christmas. Those gifts and money were in boxes. Seems a little too literal to me, but whatever.

It would be more fun to think it was to do with fistfights :p;)
    ronnie in corrie said it was cos the day after christmas everyone put away the boxes from the presents :)
    i always thought it was to do with the boxes that your pressies came in.
    You find somebody that has a cool gift that ou want, then you box them and the winner keeps the gift.

I must say though, If this "holiday" thing actually deals with boxes from gifts, that is by far the lamest holiday ever. Ever. Its even worse than George Washingtons birthday (though i'm sure you across the ocean don't like him anyways :p)
    noog wrote:
    Either...

Centuries ago, merchants would present their servants food and fruits as a form of Yuletide tip. Naturally, the gifts of food and fruit were packed in boxes, hence the name "Boxing Day".

Or....

In feudal times, Christmas was a reason for a gathering of extended families. All the serfs would gather their families in the manor of their lord, which makes it easier for the lord of the estate to hand out annual stipends to the serfs. After all the Christmas parties on December 25th,the lord of the estate would give practical goods such as cloth, grains, and tools to the serfs who lived on his land, and one family would get a box full of such goods the day after Christmas. Under this explanation, there was nothing voluntary about this transaction; the lord of the manor was obligated to supply these goods. Because of the boxes being given out, hence the day was called Boxing Day.

Or....

In Britain many years ago, it was common practice for the servants to carry boxes to their employers when they arrive for their day's work on the day after Christmas (26th December). Their employers would then put coins in the boxes as special end-of-year gifts. This can be compared with the modern day concept of Christmas bonuses. Because the servants carried boxes for the coins, hence the name Boxing Day.

Or Even....

In churches, it was tradition to open the church's donation box on Christmas day, and the money in the donation box were to be distributed to the poorer or lower class citizens on the next day. In this case, the "box" in "Boxing Day" comes from that one gigantic lockbox the donations were left in.

No-one knows! :(

You geek :p
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Fuck knows, but it's the best day of Christmas. It means you can get fucked on class A's without having to worry about a fuck off beasty meal the next day. :yes:
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Fuck knows, but it's the best day of Christmas. It means you can get fucked on class A's without having to worry about a fuck off beasty meal the next day. :yes:

lol
    You geek :p

I copy/pasted from a website. I am but a fraud.
    well boxing day at our place was indeed boxing in the fighting sense

two girls having a cat fight, police broke it up, just as they were getting in the van, someone else ran out of this bar (yates') and glassed one of the girls who had been fighting, right in the face
    Sugar wrote:
    ronnie in corrie said it was cos the day after christmas everyone put away the boxes from the presents :)

I found that part very funny. :chin: