Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cheerleading...please read

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Cheerleading is a great way to get fit and active. Plus it can take you places. There are competitions for those seeking grandour, it can be used to help other people as a great fundraiser. It provides you with a great work out.

Cheerleading helps you with balance, agility, strength, teamwork, co-ordination, stamina and so much more. But it has a reputation. Preps and gay guys...not the reality of cheerleading. Hey why wouldn't a straight guy join a cheerleading squad? surrounded by great girls, lifting them in the air. A male cheerleader gets to hold a girls legs, make contact with her in areas where other guys would get a slap.

And why do we think that only preppy girls can cheer? Well my squad is goths, punks, rockers and the likes and we're as good as any team...although most people who want to be cheerleaders think they have to be preps so we have a problem recruiting.

That's why I just had to say don't believe the stereotypes. Cheerleading is the best dance team. The best Gymnastics team. The best actors. All rolled together in one. It's hard work, but it works all of you, no matter what part needs improving, cheerleading will improve it.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    cheerleading really isn't a big thing in the UK, at least that's how it seems.

I've been to the new years day parade thingy in London before, and they get all these US teams over to do their routines. It looks totally awesome to watch.I remember watching "bring it on" and thinking, wow.

It's not something I would ever be able to do/be good at, but to watch I think a lot of it is very cool.
    it's quite easy to do and bring it on is so flawed. The routines weren't all that good and the girls couldn't do anything advanced. But you would be surprised.

I loved the film and bring it on again though. Wonderful films.

Cheerleading IS a big thing here, but it's an underground thing. You know the glasgow team I think it was. The supernovas....they came in the final five of the world championships or something like that. You know something? They're a team of 14 year olds who have been cheering probably 5 years.

There are competitions in england every few months. FOUR main ones a year. It's huge, but it's like a secret. You tend not to know anything about it till you are in the circle. And the only reason they hire Americans is because the British are more all star than parades. We compete. We strive to win. Americans do a lot too, but they also do it for games and parades and pep rallies. The British haven't got that. We show up at a game or rally and people tend to not get it.
    We don't have cheerleading over here, and I don't really like gimnasia. I preffer just running and joging.

But I really don't like a lot of sports either :S
    I've seen cheerleaders at every football, basketball, baseball, soccer game I've ever been to. I've been good friends with cheerleaders. Its nothing more than a popularity status. There is nothing athletic about being grotesquely annoying and peppy.
    Pretty stupid concept if you ask me. If I was playing, it would be the crowd that would motivate me. Cheerleaders would either distract me, annoy me or both.
    my_name wrote:
    I've seen cheerleaders at every football, basketball, baseball, soccer game I've ever been to. I've been good friends with cheerleaders. Its nothing more than a popularity status. There is nothing athletic about being grotesquely annoying and peppy.

It is athletic, but not at games, as I just said. The athletisism is in the competitions. And if you're telling me it's easy to toss a girl 10 ft in the air and catch her again you have another thing comming. That takes strength co-ordination and team work.
    Then you have things like scorpions, hyper extended splits...things gymnasts and yogo folk alike would love to get. And to keep going takes stamina.

And who said it HAS to be peppy? Ours certainly isn't. Games are stupid cheerleading examples. All Star is where the athletism comes in. OK it's not a sport. I'm first to admit it. But it's dance and gymnastics, both of which have respect, it's time people looked past the whole image of cheerleading and see it for what it is in it's basics. THEN you can appreciate it and move past the stupid american image of blonde haired girls wearing pink who love guys and make-up more than anything else.
    THEN you can appreciate it and move past the stupid american image of blonde haired girls wearing pink who love guys and make-up more than anything else.

Lucky I am American so I know that its just more than a false image.
    Please tell me how you can respect (and not just in the sexual sense) to this (scroll to the bottem)

I saw competition jump rope on ESPN2 That still doesn't make it worthy of the title of "athletic"
    I cant acess pop ups of any form.
    The competitions are athletic, just as gymnastics and dance.
    I cant acess pop ups of any form.

My link? Its not a pop up, had you clicked it youd know. Its the site of the MN Vikings, with their oh so athletic cheerleaders at the bottem of the page.

Either way, thus far, I've heard better arguments trying to convince me that poo is not a natural thing. And I've grown bored. Maybe one day you can coerce somebody into joining your little cult.

This thread is nothing more than informal spam.
    The cheeleading squad used to train in the other side of the hall as the dancers. Some of the stuff they did was pretty hard core and any time I joined in with them I found it pretty physically demanding. The girls (and boys) were all people I would have hung around with outside of dance so,, I'd say cheerleading could be a good thing to get involved in socially and fitness wise too. But, this years cheerleaders at uni are a bunch of dicks so.... ya. go figure. lol
    But what exactly is the purpose of all of your posts saying- cheerleading's sooooooo great? who cares?
    Participation Fee:

$255.00 for new participants - more details and inclusions listed below. Returning 2005 Summer Junior Cheerleaders that can still fit into their costumes can register for only $103

:lol:
    Uhm is cheerleading demeaning to women though?

I mean I'm sure it keeps you fit and gets you laid, but isn't it just objectifying women?

Sorry, I just HAD to turn this thread around lol

I mean I'm sure it keeps you fit and gets you laid, but isn't it just objectifying women?

Sorry, I just HAD to turn this thread around lol

Theres male cheerleaders. They either do it because they are the gayest of gay, or to get some action from the chick cheerleaders :p
    Lavelini wrote:
    We don't have cheerleading over here, and I don't really like gimnasia.

I've never been to gimnasia, is it like the rest of asia? :lol:
    MoonRat wrote:

Yes, I think it is. Can't think about cheerleading without thinking of the typical US high school thing - annoying women with pom poms cheering on the local hero quarterback etc etc etc. Not really a sport.