Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Alcohol and the family

Do you feel comfortable drinking alcohol in the presence of your own family?

I'm only asking as I think it's a fairly topical thing. For example, my mum has been regularly offering to get me Smirnoff bottles from the kitchen, cans of lager from the fridge and so on. I decline each time because I don't feel right about it. For some reason, I just don't feel right drinking alcohol in front of my family. I'm not sure why, maybe it's upbringing. How's about yourselves?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't mind at all I used to when I was younger but now I just join on in. We're all right pissheads though in fairness
  • Options
    Don't mind having a few drinks around my family but i won't get hammered in front of them :D
  • Options
    I don't mind doing it, I've done it in the past, but then admittedly I'm used to my parents drinking a lot anyway at home in the evenings after work and so occasionally join in.

I still prefer, however, to drink with my mates.
  • Options
    I don't mind drinking in front of my family, often my parents are the ones offering me a drink in the first place.
  • Options
    My parents are drinkers too so it doesn't bother me one bit.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I dont mind, feel comfortable doing it. Drinking in pubs with my parents etc, no problem.
  • Options
    Doesn't bother me at all.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    I dont mind, feel comfortable doing it. Drinking in pubs with my parents etc, no problem.
    Ditto.
  • Options
    i can drink fine in front of my family but cant smoke in front of them, all my family knows i smoke, and i even got 100fags in my stocking this christmas, but i cant smoke in front of them, it feels completely wrong.,
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    jake0 wrote:
    i can drink fine in front of my family but cant smoke in front of them, all my family knows i smoke, and i even got 100fags in my stocking this christmas, but i cant smoke in front of them, it feels completely wrong.,
    I dont think your parents would like to see you with a fag in your mouth :o
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    I dont think your parents would like to see you with a fag in your mouth :o

you're so gay!!11!!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Do you feel comfortable drinking alcohol in the presence of your own family?

I'm only asking as I think it's a fairly topical thing. For example, my mum has been regularly offering to get me Smirnoff bottles from the kitchen, cans of lager from the fridge and so on. I decline each time because I don't feel right about it. For some reason, I just don't feel right drinking alcohol in front of my family. I'm not sure why, maybe it's upbringing. How's about yourselves?
    Everything in this post applies to me also.

I come in blindingly drunk sometimes, but i won't drink infront of them.
    maybe it's because i feel that one isn't enough!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I think they gather I drink... but you know, I'll have a little of something, but now drink hard infront of them.
  • Options
    I'd happily have a beer or a glass of wine with my parents in the house but I'd never go down the pub with my dad (unless we're both in Edinburgh strangely). I'm also much more comfortable having more than a few drinks with my girlfriend's family than my own.
  • Options
    I don't mind but my mum has a problem with me getting really drunk before i go out anywhere, she's very anti drink, seen too many people die and ruin their lives from it you see.

No problem with a couple but not full on pissed before i even get outta the house.
  • Options
    No problem for me... it was my dad who taught me to drink anyhow, so now he couldn't complain. But it's not an issue really.
  • Options
    me and my dad often crack open a couple of bottles of kronenbourg after a hard days graft
  • Options
    No problem drinking in front of them. Like Jake says though, i never let them see me smoking. I know loads of people who smoke in front of their parents but i could never do it. It just isn't right at all.
  • Options
    Nope doesn't bother me, when i was 14 they used to buy me alcho pops to be nice haha. If i'm drinking wine with my dinner i always seem to accidentally get drunk, and then i just get laughed at, not a problem :p
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    No problem in drinking or smoking infront of my family.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Alcoholism runs in the family, on both sides. Before I was born my father completed AA. There was never one spot of alocohol *ever* in my house. I cannot drink in front of them. I'm not sure why. Probably because for the time being its still illegeal for me. But even when I can, I doubt I will.
  • Options
    My da's an alco and my mum drinks aswell so I don't mind
  • Options
    nah wouldn't bother me. i wouldn't get drunk infront of them though and i get embarrassed if they get drunk infront of me!
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    No problem in drinking or smoking infront of my family.

Same for me.

I enjoy going to the pub with my Dad and brothers, is usually a good laugh. I've seen both of my brothers more shitfaced than I'll ever be, so I'm not worried about what they'll think of me etc. I'll have a tipple with my Mam too, but she's not a big drinker most of the time.
  • Options
    ...but masturbating in front of them is just not on ok.
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    Nope, i'd feel uncomforatble seeing as neither of them drink alcohol and so it's just neevr beena feature of family life.
  • Options
    My parents are divorced, my mum's side of the family always get pissed when we get together so it's fine, but on my dad's side less so. They are usually a bit more withheld when it comes to letting go and going wild.
  • Options
    not got a problem with it. we're a family of pisshead. its funny when theres me, sisters, mum,dad, nan, gradad and uncle all together round my nans place. we all sit around the bar they've built in the house and get completely hammered, while talking shit
  • Options
    Nope, i'd feel uncomforatble seeing as neither of them drink alcohol and so it's just neevr beena feature of family life.

Exactly the same.