Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Essay music !

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
what does everyone go for when they have to do an essay?

Chillout or heavy metal or something? i have found both have made it a little less boring, not sure which made me do better though =\

Am trying to decide which for my essay now :chin:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    anything non-vocal, otherwise it's off putting. usually nice chilled out electronica :)

otherwise, I just put some ear plugs in and block out as much of the outside world as possible, that tends to help!
    Norah Jones, Dido, Eva Cassidy... nothing too distracting, too noisy for thinking straight and nothing I'd want to sing a long too.
    If you like something a bit heavy, but not too distracting, try Apocalytica Plays Metallica On Four Cellos... it is very good :)
    :love::love::love:

I hadnt heard of apocalyptica...just checked some videos on their website theyre amazing lol!!

love the moshing on the cello's
    One of a few performers that I deemed worthy of adding to my legitimate music collection. Their Metallica stuff is good, their own stuff is better. Listen to "How Far"
    its rlly good :D

will be buying a cd of theirs sometime now i think ;p

though a dvd would be nice if they have one, its entertaining to watch just as much as to listen to hehe :cool:
    I agree... glad to help out :)

If you come across a DVD, pm me and let me know where and how much... might be a present to myself for xmas :)
    i find alicia keys ok for essay writing or alvril lavigne but only quietly. i cant work in silence, unless im readin journal papers!!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I normally work in silence but will put up with Classical music.
    I never listen to music, as a part of your brain is occupied with the music and not the work.
    I just listen to what I normally listen to.
    something like stereophonics, lucie silvas (!), bloc party..anything really!
    Lyrics are a bad thing. It's all about brain hemispheres.

The left hand hemisphere of the brain deals with intelligent thought, argument-forming and the like, but also deals with processing words.

The right hand hemisphere of the brain deals with processing music, but is also involved in daydreaming.

If you're listening to something non-vocal, you engage the right hand side of the brain so that you're unable to daydream, but you don't engage the left hand side of the brain so you're free to write essays!
    muse- wrote:
    what does everyone go for when they have to do an essay?

Chillout or heavy metal or something? i have found both have made it a little less boring, not sure which made me do better though =\

Am trying to decide which for my essay now :chin:

It's hard to categorise music which is good for doing essays. Something with a repetitive beat is usually good - try avoiding mad up and down music like the kaiser chiefs.

I listen to all sorts for essays, from marilyn manson & NIN to vivaldi. Always accompanied with a bong hit to get the abstract thought going. Just stick on a list and start working, you'll find out what helps you to flow and what creates obstacles....then just select what works from there.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Same as I ever listen to.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    just silence, cant have any music on, im far too easily distracted!
    I never used to play music, but recently I've found I can still work a bit better with something chilling on, but not too chilling (I don't fancy falling asleep whilst working, I have a hard enough time staying awake with the work I have as it is).
    It is one of the few times I go for classical, it takes away the silence but you aren't distracted by lyrics
    I'm very sad, I listen to my pan pipes album :blush:
    vikki1825 wrote:
    I'm very sad, I listen to my pan pipes album :blush:

ahh panpipes those were the days - panpiped Jesus To A Child by George Michael anybody
    Phillip Glass
    I listened to REM mostly and a bit of Norah Jones. I can imagine Pink Floyd, The Smiths, Air and Massive Attack are pretty good for essays too. Can't listen to rap when studying though, it's impossible, nor anything I know the words to because then that's all I can think of.
    You really shouldn't be listening to any music when revising/doing essays. I think I read somewhere classical music might be a help but anything popular just distracts you.
    i just normally have the tv on in the background, i cant work in silence.
    Various stuff - not the radio as it distracts me, mainly emo/punk stuff.
    turlough wrote:
    You really shouldn't be listening to any music when revising/doing essays. I think I read somewhere classical music might be a help but anything popular just distracts you.

Well, if no music i really have no motivation at all to work, would rather a dodgy essay than notthing ;p