Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

feeling sick with smells

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive noticed that recently, when i can smell food downstairs it sometimes makes me feel sick and i dont want to eat. Even when i know what it is and ive had it before. I usually only have one thing that makes me feel sick and thats toasted cheese sandwiches off this thing that makes them specialy that we have (i was very ill one day after having some and i can't stand them now :yuck: ) i also think im emtophobic which is the phobia of vomiting. Could it be something to do with that or hormones or something?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Possibly. Some smells set me off terribly. I have actually been sick once when we were near a Maltery. Gaah... I cant stand it!

It changes through life though, as you go on, its odd. Don't worry bout it, just avoid the smells, I find!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    I usually only have one thing that makes me feel sick and thats toasted cheese sandwiches off this thing that makes them specialy that we have (i was very ill one day after having some and i can't stand them now :yuck:

i think that's a fairly normal reaction, especially when you are scared of being sick. But even 'normal' people are like that. most of my friends have things they can't stand to smell because it reminds them of a traumatic puke incident.

i have a whole catalogue of things i don't like even to see because of that reason.

if smells upset you (they REALLY do me) then a trick someone taught me quite recently was to put a dab of something like vicks or olbas oil just under your nose and i guarantee you won't be able to smell whatever it is that's upsetting you.
  • Options
    agree with kaffrin. if you've been poorly and had something to eat around that time, you're bound to associate the poorlyness with the food that you ate. put a peg on your nose before you eat it or something. :p
  • Options
    i havent been sick recently, just recently smells have been making me feel icky
    i'll probably do what kaff said, dab some strong smelling stuff under my nose, or bury my head in a pillow till it passes
  • Options
    the smell of cooking mushrooms makes me fiziklee ill. It has nowt to do with a previous incident and everything to do with the fact that they shouldn't even be considered a food- it's a friggin fungus! yuk
  • Options
    I was like that when pregnant ;) hehe hope you get it sorted.
  • Options
    I don't think it is anything to worry about. I was going through something like that last week. Couldn't stand the smell or sight of some foods. Now I am fine.