Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Britain will be first country to monitor every car journey

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/transport/article334686.ece

Britain is to become the first country in the world where the movements of all vehicles on the roads are recorded. A new national surveillance system will hold the records for at least two years.

What do you think?

I wonder how much it will reduce car thefts.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why is it their business to know where I'm going?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    turlough wrote:
    It isn't. Unless they want morep ower over you... when they get us living in fear... its too late!

I read about this a while ago. I've no idea how they will implement it properly though, which is one belssing! Just travel where they can't see ya!
    turlough wrote:

Well, this is just like the thread about Bush tapping the phones. Well, not exactly since this isn't illegal, which makes a big difference. But the topic of debate is the same: how much privacy are you willing to give up to be safer?
    bluewisdom wrote:
    how much privacy are you willing to give up to be safer?

Fuck all, because I don't believe I'll be any safer.

Edited to add: scary.
    Call me a nerd but the technology behind it does seem quite exciting. The purpose its used for... I havent made my mind up. But the ability to track every single car, bike, truck, van, bus in the UK is staggering. I wonder if it will work.
    I wonder how much it will reduce car thefts.

Car thefts? This is about raking in yet more cash for the treasury under the disguise of catching crims. You really think it's main purpose is to stop crime?

Well, it is. The sort of crime this is aimed at will be unpaid speeding fines, car tax avoidance, ticket offences and the like. Anyone who has missed a speeding ticket etc through house moving or whatnot is in for a nasty shock when this comes in.

The real criminals will find easy ways around it, no question of that, and the average man in the street will get screwed over. Again.
    Using a network of cameras that can automatically read every passing number plate

Plan "A" - get several cars with the same number plate to fuck the database up.

Plan "B" - swap the number plates around different vehicles.

Plan "C" - steal a number plate from a car rather than the car itself to commit crime, then put it back later on.

etc etc

This bit is my favourite -
    The term "associated vehicles" means analysing convoys of cars, vans or trucks to see who is driving alongside a vehicle that is already known to be of interest to the police. Criminals, for instance, will drive somewhere in a lawful vehicle, steal a car and then drive back in convoy to commit further crimes "You're not necessarily interested in the stolen vehicle. You're interested in what's moving with the stolen vehicle," Mr Whiteley explained.

So, if you were driving alongside a criminal you are one too. The mind fucking boggles.

"Come a day, there won't be room for naughty men like us to wander about at all. "

Mal, Serenity.

I wonder what the situation is for those people who have first title on their cars?
    turlough wrote:

Because that way they can charge you per mile instead of a blanket road tax... this is all about income generation...
    can't be long before new borns are bar coded.
    can't be long before new borns are bar coded.

Agree.
    don't care if it makes the insurance go down.
    ---
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    This is the most left wing government we have ever had.
    :lol: You are such good enteretainment. I don't see how that in any way could be a conclusion... oh dear.

Born Trippy is a legend. Up there with Rich Kid... I miss RK. At least he had a sense of humour about him.
    This is the most left wing government we have ever had.
    :crazyeyes
    Because that way they can charge you per mile instead of a blanket road tax... this is all about income generation...

erm simple solution abolish road tax, make it up in fuel duty - pay per use technically
    Bollocks. If they do bring this in, then I'm off. Record every trip I make? I'm a completely law-abiding citizen, I always have full insurance, I pay my road tax, I don't get caught speeding. What basis do they have for monitoring my private life?

Absolutely none. You can't get points for having a missing registration plate, I might as well pull them off, claim they fell off, and pay the fine. Whilst I'm at it, I might as well stop paying my road tax and insurance, and give them a reason to try monitoring me. The money I save will buy me a super-fast vehicle and they'll never catch me :).

This really does nark me. I'd give serious thought to moving elsewhere if they were to decide that I couldn't travel anywhere without being monitored and logged. They'll start sending automatic penalties to vehicles exceeding the speed limit. They'll be billing us on a monthly basis after calculating how much time we spent sitting in traffic. Yet the tax on fuel will remain the same.

When did I agree to live in prison?
    Clearly the Panopticon is coming into affect.
    Silverberg wrote:
    Clearly the Panopticon is coming into affect.
    Was thinking exactly the same thing. Scary, isn't it?
    so if you have nothing to worry about, who cares about what the government know about you?
    klintock wrote:
    Car thefts? This is about raking in yet more cash for the treasury under the disguise of catching crims. You really think it's main purpose is to stop crime?

Well, it is. The sort of crime this is aimed at will be unpaid speeding fines, car tax avoidance, ticket offences and the like. Anyone who has missed a speeding ticket etc through house moving or whatnot is in for a nasty shock when this comes in.

The real criminals will find easy ways around it, no question of that, and the average man in the street will get screwed over. Again.

Seeing as speeding tickets bring in about 21 million per year for the government, smaller than Simon Cowell's income tax bill, I really doubt that the government's aim is to generate income from this scheme. The amount they get from speeding is peanuts.

However it's an atrocious idea which sounds very expensive and not worth the money or manpower. Considering the government's awful record on organising these kinds of massive centralised projects I doubt it will be run effectively or cost efficiently either. Quite apart from the civil liberties that it may well infringe upon.
    I don't get caught speeding.

So you speed then? :p:p
    i can't get my head round the if you got nothing to hide stuff.

people who say this must live alone in bedsits ...so long as it remains legal to have a wank ...

any of you have close close friendships ...loose friendships ...any and maybe many other relationships in life with other ...humans ...

why the hell is it ok for a private and privelaged club to have the rights to my life?
    O_o wrote:
    So you speed then? :p:p

Damn right, where the road conditions are suitable and the mood takes me. I've never been caught speeding, I never speed in built-up areas, and I've owned some fairly fast vehicles.