Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

working over christmas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My boyfriend works at next and does different shifts every week. He has two days off a week, net week they have given him christmas day and boxing day as his days off even though the store isn't open. He has to work both the bank holidays (monday and tuesday). I don't think this is right and wondered whether they can legally do this or whether its just one of those things that isn't fair.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Haha, yeah they can.

Are you kidding? It's Next. They have you in after Xmas for the Xmas sale prep. It opens at 6AM ffs.
    Unless he gets paid Vacation time then they don't have to pay them. Why pay somebody when they are not there?
    Things are different with every company. I'm getting paid for the 25th though I don't work weekends. My man is getting paid vacation from tomorrow until the 3rd. Alot of places, especially places where you don't have regular working hours do not pay when you dont' work. Its completly fair.
    where i work, 'cause of christmas day and new years day falling on sundays (and that being the old day i work), we're closed. so i have to make back the hours or take them unpaid. this a bit annoying but i guess they can't pay me for not being there. i'd say they can probably get away with it, yeh.
    yes they can. although there is nothing to stop your bf pulling a sickie.
    otter wrote:
    yes they can. although there is nothing to stop your bf pulling a sickie.

They could fire him. No law against that. Unless he can come up with a Dr's orders.
    you cannot fire someone for being ill as a one off. unless caught skiving. co
    otter wrote:
    you cannot fire someone for being ill as a one off. unless caught skiving. co

Unless they have a note from the Dr, technically you can. I've seen it and I've studied it. I know if I was the boss of some kid ass who decided to be "sick" on a holiday I was expecting them for, there would definatly be some reprucusions.
    you're joking right? you cannot surely sack someone for being ill!
    you're joking right? you cannot surely sack someone for being ill!

If you can prove that you were sick. Its quite obvious when somebody fakes being sick from work.
    yeah, sounds about right for next, i work at the next store near me and you have to work your contracted hours no matter what (unless you book the time off well in advance or swop shifts with someone). I was contracted to work on sundays so as you can probably guess, i've had to make up the time for christmas day and will have to make up the time for new years day later on in the week. Nice eh.
    i worked xmas eve, got home 4am xmas day

worked boxing day

just worked new years eve and got home from work at 8am, then started work at 8pm and just pretty much got in the house now

blah blah etc etc

yes they can do it, its not even immoral, its the way the world works
    MrG wrote:
    yes they can do it, its not even immoral, its the way the world works

Exactly. I know everybody gets pissed off when places aren't open. But then the workers think its so wrong when they acctually have to work.
    i get paid for the hours of work i do, if i do less i get paid less, if i do more i get paid more

and i do what im told to do, or do that which i know needs doing according to supervisory roles, saying that, im rather happy with the situation im in
    Its next, i work for my local one and they are such a shit employer! Cant wait to hand in my notice! Got a disaplinary the other day for not turning up to a shift of overtime i didnt even know i was supposed to be working- call that fair!?!?!??
    my_name wrote:
    Unless they have a note from the Dr, technically you can

Actually, you would have great difficulty sacking a permanent employee for being ill. You can self-certify sickness, and a company cannot argue with that. It is up to them to show you were not ill, if they were to dismiss.

Persistent absence is a disciplinary matter, but one illness episode is not.

Of course, temps don't have those rights, they can just be told not to come back. Unscruplulous companies will bend and break the law, knowing that most staff won't bother taking them to an industrial tribunal.

In the UK, workers actually have rights.
    Kermit wrote:
    You can self-certify sickness, and a company cannot argue with that. It is up to them to show you were not ill, if they were to dismiss.

(at Co-op at least) You can self-cert yourself for a week, after that you have to have a Doctor's note. If you have doctor's notes but the employer still has reason to believe you are not ill, then they can make you see a doctor in their employment (I think) to resolve the issue.

This is off topic, but last year a woman at work had 6 weeks off work to have a foot operation (under local anaesthetic) on the basis that she couldn't walk on her foot and therefore could not work. She came into the shop about 3 times a day every day starting on the day after the operation. Eventually she had to be asked either to stay at home or come back to work.