Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Primark

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Who exactly are primark, what's their background? All I know about them is that one day we had a C&A and the next it was Primark.

I don't shop there often but today I bought a really nice winter fleece jacket there for £14 - and when they ran it through the machine it came up as only £11, got a few other bits and pieces.

What do you guys think of them?

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    My sister works for them, seems they treat their staff like shite....
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    My sister works for them, seems they treat their staff like shite....
    the majority of the staff at the manchester branch are foreign
  • Options
    lipsys right about the manchester branch, although its not as bad as it used to be!
    as for the clothes, they're very cheap, resonably good quality and reliable!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    yeps. the staff are treated shitly apparently my mate worked there for like 2 days then quite. that branch is also suicide on a saturday
  • Options
    I read somewhere the other day that the company originated in Ireland ( I think) but was called something different.

They have got some really nice stuff if you can be bothered to push your way through the crowds and then wait hours at the till and changing rooms but for the prices, I guess it's worth it! But no matter what time of day I go its always so busy, especially the Manchester one!!!

Alot of Littlewoods have been taken over by Primark so they are gonna be springing up everywhere soon.
  • Options
    Primark can be good but the crowds and queues do make it a hassle shopping there. Also, finding small sizes is difficult and I find that their tops are too long. But good prices and not bad quality. Their lingerie is quite good - I have bought several bras from there which fit better than my wonderbras and they cost £4 rather than £30 and look sexy and uplifting as well!
  • Options
    if you search the thread about the explosions at that oil storage place there was an article linked about primark and assos because their wharehouses were next door
  • Options
    Primark is called Pennys or something in Ireland.

I <3 Primark!
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Primark also topped the bill as the most unethical retailer in Britain, but I suppose you could have guessed there may have been some explotiation of cheap labour involved, how else could their clothes be so inexpensive...

Ed: link to some of an article about it here. The report was in Ethical Consumer magazine.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    I second that.
    Who exactly are primark, what's their background?
    They are based somewhere in Leicestershire (they recently had a big fire which destroyed their warehouse and I remember Frank Skinner joking that the insurance company would have to fork out several thousand pennies on the claim :lol: )

They are a bit like the ALDI/LIDL/NETTO of the fashion world!

They pay staff buy in cheap, pile it high and then sell it cheap!

They pay minimum wage and employ mainly students - most of the ones in Mc are foreign. My sisters best friend worked as the window dresser there while she did her Art degree, and she said the staff are treated pretty badly, and payed bottom dollar for doing it.

In terms of their clothes, they are really cheap. They also do bedding and houseware etc. Some of it, you get what you pay for, but there are some OK bits if you shop around. e.g. can get shirt and tie sets for 6quid (ideal for my bosses xmas pressie). They never seem to have the most popular sizes though, and the queues are always massive.

On the whole, not my cup of tea, but they seem to be doing well.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Primark also topped the bill as the most unethical retailer in Britain, but I suppose you could have guessed there may have been some explotiation of cheap labour involved, how else could their clothes be so inexpensive...

Ed: link to some of an article about it here. The report was in Ethical Consumer magazine.

That doesn't surprise me at the price they're selling clothes it must have to cut costs somewhere, having said that I think M&S prices are unethical to the consumer ... :chin:

But I went into a big London M&S a few weeks agoto have a look around and for me there was nothing of interest on their shelves.

BTW For staff at Lidl, Aldi, etc I know when they first came to the UK they paid staff very well, much higher then minimum wage - but that was mainly cos they had no computers or bar code scanning system so the staff members they hired needed to memorise the prices of every single item in the store .. so they must have paid a premium for people with a good memory. The staff they first had when they first opened were amazing, the staff most of them have no are just pretty bog standard
  • Options
    I'm a snob (well a snob who would prefer topshop or usc or something) so personally I wouldn't shop in somewhere like Primark. Some of my friends have nice things from there mind.
  • Options
    I'm a snob (well a snob who would prefer topshop or usc or something) so personally I wouldn't shop in somewhere like Primark. Some of my friends have nice things from there mind.
    that's silly.

also, i've gone off usc. its full of over-priced boring crap.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    that's silly.

What's USC?
  • Options
    What's USC?
    http://www.usc.co.uk/kissmas_flash.html

it's a shop that sells different brands of clothes e.g. diesel, miss sixty, replay, firetrap.
  • Options
    Oh I see, I like the thing on the site that lets you mix and match outfits!!

I was in Becester Shopping Outlet Village and they had loads of designer brand stores there but was so hard to find anything to get excited about!!

Ever since I got some custom made clothes for me on holiday I've gone right off buying clothes off the peg .. can't wait to my next hoiday I'm gonna make loads more clothes and probabaly a couple of suits as well.
  • Options
    If you want cheap decent-quality stuff, and don't give a flying fig about ethics and morals, then Primark are pretty good. It's like a jumble sale, but you can get some decent stuff.

If you want a pretty shop, stuff that will last a bit longer, and stuff made with at least a nod and a wink to ethical trading, then places like M&S and Next are much better.
  • Options
    M&S got caught a number of years ago on some under cover documentary with clothes made abroad in a third world country which had made in UK labels on them.

Can't find a web link for it though
  • Options
    Primark did start in Ireland as Penney's. The Penney's in Dublin are amazing. The biggest shops I have ever seen.

To do with ethics... ish... my friend used to work in Primark, and he got paid more hourly there than I did working in a pub.

I love primark. There's not many places that I can afford to buy lots of clothes, but Primark's stuff is relatively fashionable and tends to last as long as I need it too (despite them lacking a petite range).
  • Options
    i always avoid this shop its far too crowded to cope!
  • Options
    M&S got caught a number of years ago on some under cover documentary with clothes made abroad in a third world country which had made in UK labels on them.

One of M&S' suppliers did, to be exact. M&S promptly dropped them after it.

M&S stuff isn't (exclusively) made in the UK anymore, and is the worse for it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    M&S stuff isn't (exclusively) made in the UK anymore, and is the worse for it.

Of course it is, but people dont want to pay the extra, they want low price and thats pretty much the most important thing.

Lets face it, most shoppers couldnt give a toss where or by whom their goods are made.
  • Options
    I love their clothes. Not all of them but some of them aren't badly designed, and a lot of them are just copies of other high street stores. It's good that they're cheap but because I have to get XS sizes a lot of the time I'm let down by unavailable stock :(
  • Options
    I love their clothes. Not all of them but some of them aren't badly designed, and a lot of them are just copies of other high street stores. It's good that they're cheap but because I have to get XS sizes a lot of the time I'm let down by unavailable stock :(
    yeh me too :/

they do nice mini-shorts tho. and knickers. i dont rate their bras, they're weird fitting.
  • Options
    I love Primark, I've got a few tops from there that I like but mainly I buy accessories, belts and handbags and stuff, its like, £1 for some beads, bargain!

Its good for if you're skint but fancy something new to jazz an outfit up. I really like the bras too, they dont seem weird fitting to me, my favourite bra is from Primark, I stocked up on about 4 of em since they were only like £4 haha :D

Agreed with the queueing thing though, I wouldnt even attempt to go in the Manchester one on a weekend, its bad enough on weekdays.
  • Options
    The queues to pay are long but really it doesn't actually take very long to get processed - it just looks really off putting.

The store looked a mess, mainly cos customers were dropping clothes all over the place.

Of course the way they have so many shelves instead of hangers it's bound to happen.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:

Exactly what I was going to say - just because clothes are cheap to you doesn't mean that someone else isnt' paying the true price of producing them somewhere else along the line.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    that's silly.

why is it silly? just because i don't like shopping in a certain shop? i'd rather pay a bit more and know that i'm getting better quality. plus i've been in primark and didn't actually see any nice things.
  • Options
    why is it silly? just because i don't like shopping in a certain shop? i'd rather pay a bit more and know that i'm getting better quality. plus i've been in primark and didn't actually see any nice things.

I think if people go into a particular shop and don't see anything they like it's fair enough.

But I hate it when people use the word quality all the time and don't have a clue what quality actually means, not sayng that's you ... I'm thinking more of a friend of mine to whom pay more = more quality - but ask him why it's better and he aint got an answer.

I would be nice of people started to define quality..

If people are saying clothes from places like Primark are low quality then they should give examples, like it faded inthe wash, the stiching came off or was uneven, it ripped really easily, etc.
  • Options
    well i don't go for expensive things, merely 'cause i can't afford it! i shop at topshop mainly and because it's good quality affordable stuff.