Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Keep "intelligent design" concept out of science lessons, US judge rules

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeh it's more of a philosophical question, but it's not even a scientific theory -

Why isnt it? As I have said (I seem to repeat myself a lot) when you get to the edge of physics you meet philosophy, they are linked.

But, as I said, this is probably too theoretical for kids to understand and probably isnt a good topic for anything under degree level.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Why isnt it? As I have said (I seem to repeat myself a lot) when you get to the edge of physics you meet philosophy, they are linked.

But, as I said, this is probably too theoretical for kids to understand and probably isnt a good topic for anything under degree level.

yeh i know as you get deep into physics, most of it is unintelligable, however not understanding something doesn't mean it actually comes from a logical progression

personally i think eventually they'll find a way to apply string theory to actual real physics on a quantum and relativistic scale, we didn't understand how the sun worked 150 years ago - that didn't necessrily mean as we didn't have a physical understanding of it, that it was out of our grasp..... much as i see the problems of modern physics, which is producing one coherant theory/formula that will approximate to quantum mechanics, and to relativity, and to newtonian physics

they managed to link the EM force with the weak nuclear force with a theory 40 years ago, they're still unable to observe one tempoary mediating particle - until we can get to see if it actually exists, we'll never know if they were fully correct but they seemed to be on the right tracks
  • Options
    yeh i know as you get deep into physics, most of it is unintelligable, however not understanding something doesn't mean it actually comes from a logical progression

I'm not saying because we dont know there must be a God, but because we dont know we can not rule out a God.

We, at the moment, can not comprehend the idea that something came out of nothing, who or what made that happen is debatable.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'm not saying because we dont know there must be a God, but because we dont know we can not rule out a God.

We, at the moment, can not comprehend the idea that something came out of nothing, who or what made that happen is debatable.

yes, its a philosophical argument more than anything and has no place in SCIENCE lesons, there was more logic in the argument of atoms from logic arguments by the ancient greeks, and that was mere philosophy then...

you teach in science classes, what we know and its boundarys of application since normally it's just a mathematical model and just mention areas we're unsure

and this debate is about evolution, well the initial story was.... with the people arguing that something more powerful than us is driving change and ive posted loads of little snippets at top of this page to show why they cant teach 'Intelligent Design' alongside evolution - i know someone who believes this crap (my flatmate whose a morman) and when i said "well it could be aliens doing it" (which i dont honestly believe, just done it to test his answer) he just laughed and said it's stupid, even though my statement is as equally valid as saying a supernatural being is doing it is.... intelligent design and its preponents are creationists trying to stifle real debate, which is trying to provide possible answers which are testable rather than using a lack of information to make a point, which isn't a scientific method....

personally i'd rather of not done biology at school, it contains even more assumptions and overestimates than GCSE/A Level standard chemistry and physics (which are only estimated since you could give years of classes on what exactly is happening - i only just found out why certain metals are good catalysts, their electron wavefunctions extend slightly out of the metal surface which is higher energy than the internal structure, and thus makes a good reaction surface)

back to your last little bit, yeh but there are ways around saying we come from nothing ie infinite smallness, existing in a multiverse etc etc all of which are completly untestable at this moment in time - especially as the microwave background thing of the universe raised more question than it answered, especially from it's uniformity

i could go on so much about this :eek2:
  • Options
    (which are only estimated since you could give years of classes on what exactly is happening - i only just found out why certain metals are good catalysts, their electron wavefunctions extend slightly out of the metal surface which is higher energy than the internal structure, and thus makes a good reaction surface)

Just like magnetism is only enabled by certain metals because of the frequency their structures vibrate at, the repeating shockwaves of which create the fields. This is why you can leather an iron bar and magnetise it by doing so. There aren't any electrons of course.

The frquency and movement of one substance relative to another creates the chemical properties it has. After all, water acts on some things like acid does on rock. All chemistry should have been rethought and redone after relativity was discovered, but there were to many workable models.

On the topic of magnetism, we are due the polar "turnaround" any decade now. Won't that be fun?
    especially as the microwave background thing of the universe raised more question than it answered, especially from it's uniformity

It's uniform because it's what everything else moves in, it's the medium, like water is to a fish. Trust me, reality isn't a place I can leave. :lol:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    klintock wrote:
    On the topic of magnetism, we are due the polar "turnaround" any decade now. Won't that be fun?

I've been worrying about that for ages, its overdue. I tell you, it's going to fuck us right up! :lol:

Ah well.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Just like magnetism is only enabled by certain metals because of the frequency their structures vibrate at, the repeating shockwaves of which create the fields. This is why you can leather an iron bar and magnetise it by doing so. There aren't any electrons of course.

The frquency and movement of one substance relative to another creates the chemical properties it has. After all, water acts on some things like acid does on rock. All chemistry should have been rethought and redone after relativity was discovered, but there were to many workable models.

not quite, obviously all direct measurements are relative, even speed cameras know that :p but the way the periodic table is structured, it's quite easy to compare elements (no quite compounds as other factors come into it)

no idea, will kill many people though :p

It's uniform because it's what everything else moves in, it's the medium, like water is to a fish. Trust me, reality isn't a place I can leave. :lol:

no it technically isn't because due to the size of it, it's impossible for the data to be conveyed for equilibrium to be reached (speed of light limitation) if current estimates are current at the expansion rate, and can only be explained if there was a period of a virtual negative pressure or exponential expansion early on or something
  • Options
    not quite, obviously all direct measurements are relative, even speed cameras know that but the way the periodic table is structured, it's quite easy to compare elements (no quite compounds as other factors come into it)

The periodic table is itself, a formed, workable idea. The relativity (frequency) which I mentioned goes up and acts like all other frequencies - it has a scale. look at the table and come back once you've noticed the pattern. ;)
    no it technically isn't because due to the size of it, it's impossible for the data to be conveyed for equilibrium to be reached (speed of light limitation) if current estimates are current at the expansion rate, and can only be explained if there was a period of a virtual negative pressure or exponential expansion early on or something

Light doesn't move. It vibrates. The universe is always composed of the same stuff, never added to or taken from. The stuff in it gets relatively further or closer at different times. If you want an analogy, it breathes.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Light doesn't move. It vibrates. The universe is always composed of the same stuff, never added to or taken from. The stuff in it gets relatively further or closer at different times. If you want an analogy, it breathes.

So how come we managed to get from tiny particles to this in 4 billion years?
  • Options
    What particles? :p

Are you asking me about intelligent design?

I don't think it's there. It's too complex. I believe in simple design. Mother nature, while apparently complex, only has a few basic rules. Water's wet, stuff attracts to other stuff etc.
  • Options
    klintock your explanations of physics are as laughable as your explanations of politics. :lol:
  • Options
    Evolution and the idea of design are not mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    klintock your explanations of physics are as laughable as your explanations of politics :lol:

Which bit are you struggling with Blagsta?

I don't explain politics, save to point out facts that most people ignore. Substitions I believe they are called.

Being "unable to do abstract thought" I would have thought physics would be were I was most at home, tbh. Of course, I might not be explaining myself very well, that gap we always seem to have between the real world and the crap you have floating between your ears coming to the fore again.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Which bit are you struggling with Blagsta?

I don't explain politics, save to point out facts that most people ignore. Substitions I believe they are called.

Being "unable to do abstract thought" I would have thought physics would be were I was most at home, tbh. Of course, I might not be explaining myself very well, that gap we always seem to have between the real world and the crap you have floating between your ears coming to the fore again.

The bit I'm struggling with is the bit where you get it all wrong (as usual). Magnetism is to do with frequency of vibration, chemistry is to do with moving velocities! Err...yeah klintock you utter fraud.
  • Options
    The bit I'm struggling with is the bit where you get it all wrong (as usual).

:confused:
    Magnetism is to do with frequency of vibration

Of course it is, what else could it be except a continously recurring shockwave?
    chemistry is to do with moving velocities!

Everything is to do with moving velocities, or does your idea of science stop before Einstein?
    Err...yeah klintock you utter fraud.

Why...thank you. :)

Merry christmas, Blagsta, try not to think of the blood of the workers when you are out buying presents! :wave:
  • Options
    CHAOS theory

Stop shouting please it's christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    klintock where did you learn physics? Off the back of a cereal box? :lol:
  • Options
    klintock where did you learn physics? Off the back of a cereal box? :lol:

Errr...no. My old fellah's got a master's in it, we used to talk about it when I was a kid. I never rreally learned the newtonian stuff 'til I got to school and it was so obviously wrong it made me giggle. Of course, when I corrected it then I was wrong because teacher was a fuckwit.

Where did you learn yours? "Understanding physics" or some other shite that's twenty years out of date, no doubt. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    You're a fucking joke pal. A complete fantasist. Anyone with even the most basic understanding of physics can tell that. "magnetism is only enabled by certain metals because of the frequency their structures vibrate at" :lol:
    Nothing to do with electron shells then and everything to do with temperature eh klintock?
  • Options
    You're a fucking joke pal. A complete fantasist. Anyone with even the most basic understanding of physics can tell that. "magnetism is only enabled by certain metals because of the frequency their structures vibrate at" :lol:

Why, thank you. Merry xmas to you too.
    Nothing to do with electron shells then and everything to do with temperature eh klintock?

There aren't any electrons, numbnuts. Do try to keep up, eh?

Temperature is also a frequency. Robbed anyone of their full value of their labour by buying christmas presents yet?
  • Options
    There aren't any electrons. Errr...yeah. Whats powering my computer then? Fairy dust?

And yes, I know temperature is vibration is kinetic energy. Not the same as magnetism though is it you old fraud?
  • Options
    There aren't any electrons. Errr...yeah. Whats powering my computer then? Fairy dust?

A forced shockwave. Got any pictures of these "electrons" then? that would be the easiest thing to do. Good luck! :p
    And yes, I know temperature is vibration is kinetic energy. Not the same as magnetism though is it you old fraud?

Yeah it is, it's just a different frequency. Anyway, I am not old.
  • Options
    Fight! Fight! Fight!

*reclines on chair and reaches for popcorn*
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    A forced shockwave.

What on earth are you blathering about now?
    klintock wrote:
    Got any pictures of these "electrons" then? that would be the easiest thing to do. Good luck! :p

No, but they can be inferred. Equations can be written down. Electron microscopes utilise them. Electricity is moving electrons.
    klintock wrote:
    Yeah it is, it's just a different frequency. Anyway, I am not old.

A different frequency? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    What on earth are you blathering about now?

Would you like to know what actually happens or not? First, abandon what you know because most of it is horseshit. once you are willing to do that, come on back.
    No, but they can be inferred.

If you see the foam on the tide, does the foam have a seperate existence from the tide?
    Equations can be written down.

Maths is based on the rules of perception, this is where it falls down as a tool for thinking, especially in cases like this. The reason maths leads to a big bang is because it only charts the progression of the observer. i.e. you grow damn quick, even out, start to wither and peg out.
    Electron microscopes utilise them.

No, they don't.
    Electricity is moving electrons.

No, it isn't.
    A different frequency? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

It wouldn't, you still believe in matter. Shame, because there isn't any.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Spliffie wrote:
    Fight! Fight! Fight!

*reclines on chair and reaches for popcorn*

Let's have some here too! This could be good.
  • Options
    Ah, the Christmas fight, just remember to stop when someone throws in a towel and no hair pulling
  • Options
    There's no matter, no electrons and no state eh klintock? Who are you? The reincarnation of John cunting Lennon? :lol:
  • Options
    hahahaha klintok you crack me up
    klintock wrote:
    The periodic table is itself, a formed, workable idea. The relativity (frequency) which I mentioned goes up and acts like all other frequencies - it has a scale. look at the table and come back once you've noticed the pattern. ;)

i know so many patterns about the periodic table it's almost pointless,since it's an arbituary design where the only thing that really dictates the order is the proton number, everything else is just a given, that matches useful patterns - theres about 5 variations on it

i know light propagates it doesn't move its a euphemism - and the rest of that makes so little sense im not bothering to answer it. Unless the speed of light in a vacuum is show to have been different at different periods of time space, the laws regarding the almost even temperature of the universe is actually im possible with a constant expansion rate. There's all sorts of ideas of how this has happened but noones sure

by that i do a chemistry and maths degree i know what effects have been shown to be true or not and whether its just a okay working model and thier limitations of application - i'm unsure where you think of these things, be a good pub debate :lol:
  • Options
    klintock how does an electron microscope work then if it does not use Electrons??

I google how does an electron microscope work....

Electron Microscope
    How do Electron Microscopes Work?

Electron Microscopes(EMs) function exactly as their optical counterparts except that they use a focused beam of electrons instead of light to "image" the specimen and gain information as to its structure and composition.
    The basic steps involved in all EMs:
    A stream of electrons is formed (by the Electron Source) and accelerated toward the specimen using a positive electrical potential
    This stream is confined and focused using metal apertures and magnetic lenses into a thin, focused, monochromatic beam.
    This beam is focused onto the sample using a magnetic lens
    Interactions occur inside the irradiated sample, affecting the electron beam