Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Partitions & Partition Magic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Is it possible for me to increase the size of a disk partition which contains an O/S and several programs without having to re-install all of these? I am thinking of using Partition Magic 8 BTW.

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes, but be sure to take a backup, and do it one step at a time - don't trust PM to do it one step after another - both times I did I had to restore the backup
    go play with fdisk :naughty:
    fdisk?! Have you read the question? Or are you a moron?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    z01 wrote:
    go play with fdisk :naughty:

You ultimate bastard. :p

Don't play with fdisk if you value anything, at all. The practice is dodgey, and has cost me data before. Basically, back up all crucial files first, k?
    fdisc rocks
    MrG wrote:
    fdisc rocks

When you don't mind losing the data on the disk, and when windows refuses to recognise an HDD, it's a godsend.
    His original question clearly states he DOES want to preserve data.

It's quite obvious that he's taking the piss.
    Unless you're a bit strange.
    Agreed. fdisk it!
    noog wrote:
    Agreed. fdisk it!
    :lol:
    :lol:
    Get a decent Linux install CD - it'll have the ability to make, remove and resize partitions. You don't need to spend money on PartitionMagic.
    Get a decent Linux install CD - it'll have the ability to make, remove and resize partitions. You don't need to spend money on PartitionMagic.

did he even say he spent money on it in the first place :p
    No, but he obviously has a use for such a tool. PartitionMagic costs money as it is a retail product - there are free utilities that will do exactly what he needs.

There is little excuse for piracy in this instance, in my opinion. If the need for a utility is only once or twice, and said utility costs £300, with no free alternative, then piracy isn't so bad. But in this instance, PartitionMagic isn't exactly expensive, and there are free tools around - hence there is no excuse for piracy.
    No, but he obviously has a use for such a tool. PartitionMagic costs money as it is a retail product - there are free utilities that will do exactly what he needs.

There is little excuse for piracy in this instance, in my opinion. If the need for a utility is only once or twice, and said utility costs £300, with no free alternative, then piracy isn't so bad. But in this instance, PartitionMagic isn't exactly expensive, and there are free tools around - hence there is no excuse for piracy.

Piracy is bad regardless. You want the service/product then you should pay for it.

i'm a moron :(

:yeees:
    Piracy is bad regardless. You want the service/product then you should pay for it.

Yeah, I do agree with you.

But... if I needed to use a special torque-wrench once every two or three years, and that torque-wrench cost £280 - I couldn't justify it. But I'd happily borrow it from someone - I look upon software in a similar light. If it's expensive and will be rarely used, then a little common-sense is a good thing.

Likewise, if I used a tool every day or every week, I'd happily buy it - whatever the cost. Piracy of operating systems is wrong, as is piracy of games. One is an absolute essential, the other is an absolute luxury.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    That wouldn't help with NTFS partitions though.
    Most recent Linux distributions incorporate ntfsresize with the partition management ;).
    Really? I assumed since they couldn't write in one, they can't resize it either.
    Linux can write to ntfs, as far as I know...
    Linux can write to ntfs, as far as I know...
    Wow, since when? Last I knew it wasn't safe, so if you wanted it to you must recompile the kernel to allow it.
    Since... erm... I don't remember, but it's been a while. :)

I use a fat32 partition for my data partition, as it's usable with pretty much every modern-day OS there is. But I'm sure I've successfully used read and write on ntfs partitions without having to recompile. It may have been buggy and risky years ago, but these things have a habit of evolving if the need is there...

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/
    My other computer really needs linux...
    I'm dumping it for FreeBSD/PC-BSD soon. I have seen the light... the ports collection is sooooo much better than all this RPM nonsense!
    FreeBSD/PC-BSD
    :thumb: