Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Did Michael Essien really say this?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Was reading the BBC SPORT Gossip column this morning and according to various papers, Essien claims that he isn't a 'dirty' player but is 'competitive and fair'...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes he did say this ... he seems to always cross the line between very competivive and downright dirtyness on a regular basis though
  • Options
    You disagree with him then?

Two bad fouls do not make him a dirty player. Media hype is all it is really...
  • Options
    Two bad fouls do not make him a dirty player.

True. He has done three in recent weeks that I can remember. He recently elbowed Lauren, and could have been sent off at OT for going over the ball at Scholes.

He also had the worst disciplinary record in France for the last few seasons he was there, and was apparently nicknamed the Bison (probably because he's full of bullshit and spend his time charging at things).

I have looked on the guy pretty fairly since he came over here, and he is an excellent player, and it is unfair to see physical players punished. He clearly oversteps the mark at times and is going to enter that elite grup of players who think they are above the law (Keane, Pires, Vieira, Lehmann, Diouf, Di Canio etc) if he isn't careful.
  • Options
    Fine he may not be a down right dirty player, but that foul on Hamann doesn't exactly make him clean either.
  • Options
    He's a centre midfielder for a start. I'd bet that he puts in more tackles per game than other players (though I can't find any numbers to prove this) and whilst he will inevitabely commit more fouls cos of this he'll also be involved in more incidents. Gerrard, Keane and Viera are excellent examples - Gerrard in particalar isn't a dirty player, or a bad tackler, but he's had his fair few shocking tackles over the years.

Also think that Essien adapting to the Premiership may also be a factor. Faster pace and everything. And for the record I'm not a Chelsea fan.
  • Options
    He's a lot like Roy Keane- very fired up, very combative, and a dirty little twat. His "tackling" at Highbury was nothing short of a disgrace, and he should have received at least two red cards.