Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Braids

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Thinking of braiding my hair - but not all of it - it's naturally curly and quite long so I thought it'd be cool just to have some random braids with beads and threads scattered over my head. Thing is, despite it looking thick cos of the curls, my hair's actually quite thin and I'm worried I'll look like I have bald patches where the braids are. So, two questions:

1 - will a hairdresser be able to work extra hair into random braids to avoid weird bald spots?
and
2 - where can I buy nice beads with wide holes to thread over my braids? I know places like Claire's do them but they're always ugly plastic bright pink stars and crap and I want classy beads!!

Comments

• Options
    Urgh, no offence but that sounds like a horrible idea. Braids are only okay if you have afro carribean hair.

I'd say ditch the idea of a 'few scattered braids' and invest in some hair straighteners :yes:

Ilora x
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Ever so helpful Ilora-Danon. Sometimes it really is better to say nothing if you can't be nice or provide an answer to the poster's query.
  • Options
    My answer to her post was 'invest in some straighteners' I think that's perfectly good advice :thumb:

Ilora x
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Sometimes it really is better to say nothing if you can't be nice or provide an answer to the poster's query.

I disagree. This is a forum for opinionated people who I think have a right to say what they want as long as it's within the rules which I-D's post was.

If someone said - where can I buy a pink and green spandex jumpsuit? I wouldn't refrain from trying to dissuade them. It's not that we're not being nice, it's that I care for the poor person who actually wants them. If I didn't care about it, I wouldn't bother posting. The fact that she is means she's trying to advise someone about making a potential fashion mistake that's all. She's just trying to be helpful. Jesus tap-dancing Christ.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Urgh, no offence but that sounds like a horrible idea. Braids are only okay if you have afro carribean hair.

I'd say ditch the idea of a 'few scattered braids' and invest in some hair straighteners :yes:

Ilora x

Completely disagree with you here.

I've known white girls, with blonde/brown hair to pull off braids really well.

I answer to the OPs questions ... firstly I would talk to your hairdresser. See what he/she says about it and then they will be able to recommend which beads to go for too.
  • Options
    I disagree. This is a forum for opinionated people who I think have a right to say what they want as long as it's within the rules which I-D's post was.

If someone said - where can I buy a pink and green spandex jumpsuit? I wouldn't refrain from trying to dissuade them. It's not that we're not being nice, it's that I care for the poor person who actually wants them. If I didn't care about it, I wouldn't bother posting. The fact that she is means she's trying to advise someone about making a potential fashion mistake that's all. She's just trying to be helpful. Jesus tap-dancing Christ.

You are assuming that everyone has the same opinion about taste as you do. I think you will find that they don't.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Ever so helpful Ilora-Danon. Sometimes it really is better to say nothing if you can't be nice or provide an answer to the poster's query.

Agreed.

As for beads, maybe you could try little market stalls, or craft shops? We have a gorgeous shop here that just sells masses of beads, I love it. But craft shops will always be worth a try.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    You are assuming that everyone has the same opinion about taste as you do. I think you will find that they don't.

Oh yes you're right. How ignorant of me to make such a schoolboy error. Please forgive me.

She's perfectly entitled to say what she said as it didn't break any of the rules and wasn't offensive in the slightest.
  • Options
    I'd say only express your opinion if the person asks for it- otherwise, answer the question actually asked. When someone asks for opinions, they should know they'll get generally mixed reviews. But that's just not the case here. However, it's ignorant to think that only black people can have their hair that way, to the point of being discriminating. White people are perfectly entitled to wear braids or have dreadlocks and can pull it off just as well.

SO, to answer your question, I don't see how you'll have bald spots on your head if it's just a few braids. Unless you're braiding your entire head you should be fine- and I wouldn't recommend braiding your whole head if you have thin hair period.

As for the beads, I'd recommend looking online for places that sell beads for dreadlocks and such, because they have wide holes and the majority aren't tacky-looking. Otherwise if you can find any of those braiding kits that have all the threads and beads, maybe they'd do the job just as well.
  • Options
    My friend who braids/dreads/etc peoples hair for a living gets beads and other nic-naks for hair from alsorts of places. Like someone else said, market stalls are a top place. And any sewing-related store too. Theres one in my town that just has a whole counter of little pots full of beads and stuff.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Oh yes you're right. How ignorant of me to make such a schoolboy error. Please forgive me.

She's perfectly entitled to say what she said as it didn't break any of the rules and wasn't offensive in the slightest.

Thunderstruck, I'm not sure what your problem is. Illora-Danon is perfectly capable of defending herself, and if there is an issue with the way I moderate then she is free to PM me about it. Lets just drop it, shall we?
  • Options
    Cheers to everyone who answered my question (including Ilora-Danon), I found some beads at a market stall as advised and have put a few skinny braids in as I said I was going to - a couple around my face and a few scattered over my head and I really like it. Wouldn't TOUCH a pair of straighteners for a number of reasons, a - because I look like Dougal from the Magic Roundabout when I straighten my hair, and b - because everyone has GHD straight hair and I love my curls; a bit of interest never hurt anyone.
  • Options
    Cheers to everyone who answered my question (including Ilora-Danon), I found some beads at a market stall as advised and have put a few skinny braids in as I said I was going to - a couple around my face and a few scattered over my head and I really like it. Wouldn't TOUCH a pair of straighteners for a number of reasons, a - because I look like Dougal from the Magic Roundabout when I straighten my hair, and b - because everyone has GHD straight hair and I love my curls; a bit of interest never hurt anyone.

This has to be one of the most intelligent, reasonable and switched-on posts I've ever read on TheSite. Nice one Butterflykisses, I reckon your hair sounds wicked.