Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

First ever UK 'gay wedding' takes place

_41136290_partners_pa_203_b.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4540226.stm

Hooray!

Sadly but predictably, a small number of bigoted ***** turned up:

_41136346_protestgays203.jpg

but I don't expect their protests to last too long.

Good news all around I think. Anyone disagrees?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yep.

Me.

For the usual anti-state reasons, though. Nothing to do with the sexuality of the two idiots who are letting other people have a say in the running of their lives.
  • Options
    Surely sodomy wouldn't be an issue with that couple would it?

I cant say I really care either way.
  • Options
    It's not an actual "wedding" though is it?
  • Options
    No it wouldn't.

I don't seem picketing heterosexual weddings either... even though many women undoubtedly get one up the marmite motorway on their wedding night.
  • Options
    Good for them.

Just one question though: as I'm married, if I got a Civil Partnership too, would it be bigamy?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    It's not an actual "wedding" though is it?

Not in the religious sense which is why the protests are a joke. This is purely a legal union rather than one in the eyes of "God".
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Just one question though: as I'm married, if I got a Civil Partnership too, would it be bigamy?

Good one!

I suppose that technically the contract you entered when you married stipulated that your would "forsake all others" and therefore that would make it a breach of contract to enter a civil partnership...
  • Options
    To be honest it's all a bit muddled up. Same-sex couples (or even non-couples but good friends of the same gender) can now register as a civil partnership- which is great news on many different levels, but especially on legal rights and inheritance.

But mixed-sex couples cannot enter a civil partnership- and I think they should be allowed to.

And no, I don't want to get married, nor should I have to for my partner to have the same legal rights as everyone else... :mad: I'd happily sign a civil partnership if it were available to me though.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And no, I don't want to get married, nor should I have to for my partner to have the same legal rights as everyone else... :mad: I'd happily sign a civil partnership if it were available to me though.

What's the difference? You dont have to get married in a Church and you dont have to include God in your vow's in anyway.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    even though many women undoubtedly get one up the marmite motorway on their wedding night.
    #

you just made my day :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    The one on the right looks like a man!

We have our fair share of religious nuts, more than anywhere in the UK so it's no surprise you have the fundies quoting passages from the OT...gimps.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    What's the difference? You dont have to get married in a Church and you dont have to include God in your vow's in anyway.
    To be honest it's not just about God and religious weddings. The institution of marriage, civil or otherwise, it's just not for me (or my partner). And it is not fair that my partner and I are in legal limbo no matter how many years we've lived together.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    To be honest it's not just about God and religious weddings. The institution of marriage, civil or otherwise, it's just not for me (or my partner). And it is not fair that my partner and I are in legal limbo no matter how many years we've lived together.

Why would a partnership be any different?
  • Options
    Wow! Don't those protestors just exude a wonderful positive type of happy-go-lucky loveliness?! I'd sure like to hang out with them at some point!
  • Options
    Jamie LJamie L Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    Aladdin wrote:
    To be honest it's all a bit muddled up. Same-sex couples (or even non-couples but good friends of the same gender) can now register as a civil partnership- which is great news on many different levels, but especially on legal rights and inheritance.

But mixed-sex couples cannot enter a civil partnership- and I think they should be allowed to.

I find this interesting. New Zealand went through this earlier this year. Of course the normal religious bigots decided to show their mugs. However, same and mixed gender couples can register a Civil Union at home. Treated the same as marriage (legally - not religiously) if you are in a civil union with someone you have to get out of that before entering another.

Thankfully the latest bill, which was overturned by a rather large majority, effectively said marriage was for man and woman only. Funnily was bought about by a very right wing MP.

Civil partnerships here in the UK are an option for me now, only due to having a partner who may end up having to go home because of visa obligations.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Why would a partnership be any different?
    Because if you want to it to be, a parnership ceremony involves nothing more than the signing of a document. No vows, no exchange of rings, no ceremony.

If we could arrange our legal situation through lawyers I wouldn't have the need for civil partnerships. But the best current available legal protection and rights for live-in partners is still very poor.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Because if you want to it to be, a parnership ceremony involves nothing more than the signing of a document. No vows, no exchange of rings, no ceremony.

Can't you just roll up to a registry office, cut all the faffing about and sign the forms?
  • Options
    I don't think so, no. I think you still have to say some vows and exchange rings and all of that.

All I want is security and rights for my partners if/when I die. But current legal arrangements don't provide them.
  • Options
    i liked the sign i saw on the news

"the world is flat" - glad to see someone else has high views of this matter
  • Options
    Contract and tontine should get you the bulk of what you need, Al.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    _41136290_partners_pa_203_b.jpg
    except, of course, it isn't the UK's first ever gay not-marriage - people have been getting married since the 5th under the ill health "cooling off period" waiver
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Can't you just roll up to a registry office, cut all the faffing about and sign the forms?
    Yes, you have to sign the forms showing intent to creatre a civil partnership, then wait 2 weeks, then sign the declaration

ETA: sorry, you were talking about registry office marriages, My reply was about CPs. My mistake
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Good for them.

Being married is a bar to civil partnership, and being in a civil partnership is a bar to getting married
  • Options
    *Reminder not to come on here pissed*
  • Options
    I couldn't care less who got married to who as long as no animals were involved lol :lol:

i think in some states in america your pets can get married now THAT is interesting hehe animals are being married left right and centre and people are causing a big hoo haa cos two batty people wanna tie the not? i know which after party i'd like to go to...the one where i have less chance of standing in dog poop :rolleyes:

As for the bible bashers i'm sure they'll get tired of it sooner or later after all didn't all hell break loose when divorced people were allowed to marry again?

Isn't elton john getting married today? i'd love to go to one of his parties that'd be amazing. Aparrently on his stag do he had 30 male models jus for the sake of eye candy :eek: i wanna be his frind!!
  • Options
    simba wrote:
    Isn't elton john getting married today? i'd love to go to one of his parties that'd be amazing. Aparrently on his stag do he had 30 male models jus for the sake of eye candy :eek: i wanna be his frind!!

And apparently all the models were gay - I hear he's always on the look-out for people to increase his circle of friends.
  • Options
    No difference from a straight stag do having models (or more likely, whores) around, is there?
  • Options
    Whores?

I missed a trick there then, didn't I?

Just out of interest, as Elton is a Knight does that make David a Lady?
  • Options
    Just out of interest, as Elton is a Knight does that make David a Lady?

I dont think it always works like that if you are given the peerage even if the other half is the opposite sex, I thought the given peerages have restrictions on them.
  • Options
    [QUOTE=Just out of interest, as Elton is a Knight does that make David a Lady?[/QUOTE]

lol never thought about that. hmmm...do you think there will be religious protesters at elton john's wedding or is he excused cos he's rich and famous??? Does anyone know if there was a big hoo haa when elton got knighted?? or even Ian Mackellen our very own Gandalf the great? :p