Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Give job to lowest paid!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how crappy!

went to job interview where I was one of the top three-cool enough! BUT they openly said they wanna pay 12-13k (er no thanks) and the job will go to whoever is paid least! So I am relying on final perosn to be in a better apid job currently than me. It sucks as its a job that you need a degree and good microbiological knowledge for and would be a step up the career path.

However the only reason I say this is because I want more money than what I get now- I love my current job-the hours apart from weekends, the staff, the laid back nature BUT there are no prospects and job security in the long term is not guaranteed as we think the site owners wanna sell it off for property!

Still as I said to interview guy-I understand, its business and it is all about the profits! He told me if he had his way he would tell the directors who decide the wage they are being very stupid as he needsthe best person for the job not the lowest paid. Shame really as its a very good local company!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    that sucks but it's reality.
    Jesus, I thought society had moved on a bit since the grapes of wrath! Good luck with the final outcome.
    What's the point in joining a firm that you know is going to stiff you on wages? Forget that.
    in my place they have such a rate of staff turnover, they give the extra hours to the staff who are paid more

so they know it will get done
    Jowolvo wrote:
    how crappy!

went to job interview where I was one of the top three-cool enough! BUT they openly said they wanna pay 12-13k (er no thanks) and the job will go to whoever is paid least! So I am relying on final perosn to be in a better apid job currently than me. It sucks as its a job that you need a degree and good microbiological knowledge for and would be a step up the career path.

I'm doing micro, what company was it with? I take it it's as a lab assisstant or something? I've heard most smaller companies aim to make a decent product and then sell it off to the highest bidder.
    I saw a job today on the jobcentre website. They wanted a graduate, the salary was £11k ish and it was a fixed term position. You could earn more in a supermarket :(
    I'm doing micro, what company was it with? I take it it's as a lab assisstant or something? I've heard most smaller companies aim to make a decent product and then sell it off to the highest bidder.

I got it yay! I guess the guy who interviewed me put his foot down! I get same wage as I am on now but as I don't do weekends I save about £100 a month on dads fuel! yay!

I think maybe I took that comment too literally-or maybe I was lowest paid out of the three interviewed! Who knows! But my current job is not secure as the major company renting that site are being sold and the land is very likely to go for property (its in a posh sought after area of wolves!) so yay!

Anyway, Scyther: its with a company called purity who have been going since 1892 and they do lots of smaller scale pop! yay for new job. It will be quality control so its not pure micro but all sorts of haccp stuff associated with getting them their accreditation back!
    I saw a job today on the jobcentre website. They wanted a graduate, the salary was £11k ish and it was a fixed term position. You could earn more in a supermarket :(

It's probably an "incentive", people don't have to pay their student loans back on £11k...
    Spliffie wrote:
    It's probably an "incentive", people don't have to pay their student loans back on £11k...
    Depends what year you started university in, for me the cut off is £10,000.

Not much of an incentive though! You'll just be getting more interest on the debt and will end up paying back more in the long run.