Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I wanna be a laywer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This may belong in the edu forum, but I'm not sure. Feel free to move it.

But really, I want to be a lawyer. I've wanted to be since I was in 7th grade ( 11years old) Since I knew what it was. I know its not as fun as they show on TV. I know you don't make anywhere near as much money as they seem. But its always been whats interested me. Its what I want to do. But I can't. I don't have the money. I don't have the money and I don't have the time. To make the time I lose the money. My parents keep telling me (or hinting at me) to find something that I can do cheaply and quickly. But I dont' want that. I want to finish my 2 years of college to get my bachlors Degree. I want to take another 3 years to get my law degree. I'd start in some shitty job. I don't care.

But nobody, nobody at all thinks I can do it. Everybody knows I don't have the money or the time to do it. Nobody thinks I have what it takes to be one. I dont' want to be some fake TV show lawyer. I know the differences. The fact that you can't even approach the witness. I want to deal with contracts. I want to be a contract lawyer.

I'm so afraid that I'll be a fucking secretary the rest of my life.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It doesn't matter what the other people think, if you want to do it then ignore what they think and prove them wrong.
    You won't be a secretary for the rest of your life. :) *Hugs*
    no matter what others think or not, I'll never have the money. My parents say they will pay for my school. My brother is in med school and they've paid for everything. But Hes had a scholorship, full ride, for every year hes been in school so far. Why do I think they will do mine. They are already paying for my sister to go to South Africa. But no extra penny for the middle child who has dreams but has fucked up too much to accomplish them. I love my siblings and hope for the best of them and I know they will do the best.
    if its something you want to do then go for it. dont let anyone and their judgements hold you back.
    I was talking to an internet friend, probably one of the only friends i have. spilling my drukj guts out. My parents were willing to spend every single pennyl. Sending my brother to med school. Giving them the money to never have a job, to play football and o whatever he wants in the off season. To send my sister to south Africa. To give her every penny she wants for college when she comes back. And what do I get? I get a maybe you should do this or this because it requires only 2 years of school. The two years of school which I have already have fucking done. i have my 2 yr college degree while I was in highschool still. Because I knew I would have no sports scholoarship to get me thru it. I knew I would have no academics to get me throug it. So I completed my AA... half of my bacholors degree while I was still in highschool. Just to help them. But they don't care. They've told me since the time I gradutaed that, why don't you try to do something that you can complete within a year. Do something that we dont' have to spend any money on. Fuck me. If all of their children weren't in such perfect age order, I'd say I was a mistake and that they didn't give one fucking shit.
    Obviously, I don't know your parents. For all I know they may really be completely toxic and hateful.

But just maybe they don't actually realise what they're doing.

May be a stupid question, but have you tried talking to them about it, adult to adult? Tell them how long you've wanted this, tell them how determined you are to succeed, sell them on the idea.
    Take it from me, the worst thing you can do is listen to your parents when they want you to do something you're not happy with. From a very young age I wanted to be a paeleontologist (Ross! even before I knew the term) but when I moved to Belfast my mum said, "why don't you do something useful, sure you'd never get a job..." Maybe not, but I would have been a lot happier digging around in the dirt looking for bits of dead lizards than stuck doing mind numbingly boring lab work every day.

It's still a sore subject, especially when she never gives off about my dad being a writer- the hardest job in the world to earn a living off of! When I have kids, I'll let them study whatever they want.
    Unless it's like, a BA in flea circus management or something random :chin:
    Go ahead and do whatever you think you really want to do. My dad tried to put me off being a social worker (he thought it wasn't a "real" job then what I want to do now - teaching because he says "Go and be a plumber or an electrician, people will always need electricians and you get good money blah blah blah saying. I'd never be happy being a plumber or an electrician though.

TBH he doesn't have any right to tell me what to be anyway because he doesn't have a job. As if being a house-husband is a real job!
    He thinks that because I haven't come from a posh background, that I have no chance of getting a training contract. Le sigh.

Which is a load of bollocks, really.

not one person in my chambers comes from a "posh" background, few solicitors ever do. You won't get into a Magic Circle firm without contacts and a super degree, but who wants to work for the Magic Circle?

Most of us are just happy plodding along. I'm just sad my contract here has come to an end now.
    Chin up. studying will be expensive but where there's a will there's a way- as 'they' say. Have you looked at studying part time while you work to support yourself?
    katralla wrote:
    Chin up. studying will be expensive but where there's a will there's a way- as 'they' say. Have you looked at studying part time while you work to support yourself?

Well studying would be part time, that was the only plan really. I need money for myself. Later the night I wrote this I got fed up and just called my parents. I drunkly cried and blubbered for a bit, then we got talking logically.

In the very begining they always said I can do whatever I want and they will always be there to help. Then as I got older, finished highschool and moved away they started suggesting I do other things. Things that would only take a few years to complete, or less than that.

I found out their reasoning behind it is that I was having such a hard time living. Working in retail making absolute shit for money, not living at all. They wanted me to be happy and have money and do something I liked. Something quicker would make my life easier quicker. Good reasoning.

We talked more and I found out more. Right now I have a full time job with all the fun benefits. I make enough money to live. I live in a nice house and everything is finally getting comforable. I now have the means to do what I want.

I was scared, as they always said they would pay for my college, but my brother has gotten full ride scholorships all 5 years so far, and has one for next year too. So I got skeptical, that having nothing, they may take back what they said.

They assured me they wouldn't. They would always be there to financially get me thru and always be there in general.

I believe them. I know they would never leave me hang to dry. I had spent nearly a week in pretty much the same room. Total cabin fever. Drunk, too much vicodin and I just lost it.

But it was for the better. Having done that I not only got the reassurance from my parents that I needed, but I also reassured myself that I do want more than to be a secretary. That I still had it in me to be something more.

I applied for the college that interested me. Only one so far as I'm still taking things slowly. But one is still one.

Thank you all for your nice comments.